Savannah Law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CoffeeIsLife

Re: Savannah Law school

Postby CoffeeIsLife » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:23 am

deloga wrote:
CoffeeIsLife wrote:Basically you're saying you would rather hold onto whatever sense of pride you have and be unemployed because of your choice, rather than make an intelligent decision and attend a school which has a strong alumni base, and LST Score which will allow you to find a job.

Doesn't seem like you have a good idea about how this whole thing works

I'm sorry--have we met? Why would you assume I'm unemployed? How "intelligent" of you.

Let's work on our critical reading skills for a moment, shall we?

deloga wrote: I'd much rather accept a job offer that was based on the experience and skills I've busted ass to obtain while in law school than one that was given to me because of the name on my diploma. The job offers I've been given thus far have been because of the work I'm capable of and the reputation I've worked to develop, which is exactly how I want it to be.

I never said you were "unemployed". I said based on your quote you would rather be unemployed, but have your pride intact than gainfully employed because of the name on your diploma. Lets not twist things and pretend SLS is a great outcome. All I meant was its pretty dumb to care how you get a job. All that matters is getting a job that is full-time and requires you to pass the bar. I would think most people are smart enough to make decisions that make it easier to find a job.

deloga

Postby deloga » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:24 am

SnakySalmon wrote:
To be clear, are you being paid to do an actual legal job, or are you referring to either unpaid internships, or things that don't involve your future JD as job offers?

Oh, come on. Let's at least try to be reasonable here lol. In a thread about the worthlessness of my degree, why would I refer to unpaid positions or non-legal jobs? I've had more than my fair share of both, but that is NOT why I'm getting a JD. Although, those unpaid positions certainly had their benefits--it's precisely because of putting in my time with them that I'm now being offered the paid positions.

deloga

Postby deloga » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 am

CoffeeIsLife wrote: I would think most people are smart enough to make decisions that make it easier to find a job.

Right. Which is why I'm living/networking/working in the community in which I plan to practice.

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:29 am

deloga wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:
To be clear, are you being paid to do an actual legal job, or are you referring to either unpaid internships, or things that don't involve your future JD as job offers?

Oh, come on. Let's at least try to be reasonable here lol. In a thread about the worthlessness of my degree, why would I refer to unpaid positions or non-legal jobs? I've had more than my fair share of both, but that is NOT why I'm getting a JD. Although, those unpaid positions certainly had their benefits--it's precisely because of putting in my time with them that I'm now being offered the paid positions.

If we're trying to be reasonable, you should probably also acknowledge that "the name on [the] diploma" also reflects an immense amount of ass-busting by people, and it's kind of weird to think that their jobs are somehow less valuable because of it.

deloga

Postby deloga » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:33 am

SnakySalmon wrote:
deloga wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:

If we're trying to be reasonable, you should probably also acknowledge that "the name on [the] diploma" also reflects an immense amount of ass-busting by people, and it's kind of weird to think that their jobs are somehow less valuable because of it.

Absolutely it does. A law degree represents serious time, effort, and sacrifices. I wasn't at all saying a person's job is more or less valuable because of the name on their diploma--my entire point was that it isn't.

SnakySalmon

Postby SnakySalmon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am

deloga wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:
deloga wrote:
SnakySalmon wrote:

Absolutely it does. A law degree represents serious time, effort, and sacrifices. I wasn't at all saying a person's job is more or less valuable because of the name on their diploma--my entire point was that it isn't.

No, what I'm saying is that a person who gets into HYSCCNP... has put in more effort than it takes to get into Savannah, and it makes perfect sense for employers to prefer candidates from those schools.

deloga

Postby deloga » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:47 am

SnakySalmon wrote:
No, what I'm saying is that a person who gets into HYSCCNP... has put in more effort than it takes to get into Savannah, and it makes perfect sense for employers to prefer candidates from those schools.

Eh. Depends on the employer, I guess. Obviously, you're absolutely right that it's way more difficult to get into those places than SLS. I know I couldn't have--my LSAT was pretty decent, but unfortunately I was a total dumbass my first two years of college, so by the time I got my act together, the damage to my GPA was already done. Do I think the fact that I partied too much at 19 will destroy my chances of having a successful career? Not even a little bit.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:08 pm

deloga wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:People use this argument when defending TTTTs all the time and it's like an LSAT question on flawed reasoning.

Reason? What's that? I decided to take a chance on a brand new school in the area I want to practice in with no bar passage or employment rates to analyze. Clearly, I have no idea what this "reasoning" you speak of is. :wink: Personally, I think a person's shot at success should depend on their talent, drive, and work ethic. I'd much rather accept a job offer that was based on the experience and skills I've busted ass to obtain while in law school than one that was given to me because of the name on my diploma. The job offers I've been given thus far have been because of the work I'm capable of and the reputation I've worked to develop, which is exactly how I want it to be.

Maybe that's how things SHOULD work, but that's generally not how things do work. It would be great if employers had time to fully explore and appreciate the depths and nuances of each individual's background and unique talents. They don't, though. In general, they're going to see a T14 and make a certain set of assumptions and they're going to see a TTTT degree and make a different set of assumptions. Are these always accurate? Of course not. There are T14 students who crash and burn, and there are TTTT students who shine. They're the outliers, though. If you take an average T14 student and compare them to an average TTTT student, there is a difference. Employers don't always know you in all your unique special snowflake-ness, so they make assumptions based on a few factors.

You made a risky bet going to SLS. It sounds like it has a good chance of paying off for you. That's great; I'm not wishing failure on you. But you do have to recognize that you'd be one of the lucky ones, and for most people most of the time, SLS is not a good investment.

deloga

Postby deloga » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:47 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
deloga wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:People use this argument when defending TTTTs all the time and it's like an LSAT question on flawed reasoning.

Reason? What's that? I decided to take a chance on a brand new school in the area I want to practice in with no bar passage or employment rates to analyze. Clearly, I have no idea what this "reasoning" you speak of is. :wink: Personally, I think a person's shot at success should depend on their talent, drive, and work ethic. I'd much rather accept a job offer that was based on the experience and skills I've busted ass to obtain while in law school than one that was given to me because of the name on my diploma. The job offers I've been given thus far have been because of the work I'm capable of and the reputation I've worked to develop, which is exactly how I want it to be.

Maybe that's how things SHOULD work, but that's generally not how things do work. It would be great if employers had time to fully explore and appreciate the depths and nuances of each individual's background and unique talents. They don't, though. In general, they're going to see a T14 and make a certain set of assumptions and they're going to see a TTTT degree and make a different set of assumptions. Are these always accurate? Of course not. There are T14 students who crash and burn, and there are TTTT students who shine. They're the outliers, though. If you take an average T14 student and compare them to an average TTTT student, there is a difference. Employers don't always know you in all your unique special snowflake-ness, so they make assumptions based on a few factors.

You made a risky bet going to SLS. It sounds like it has a good chance of paying off for you. That's great; I'm not wishing failure on you. But you do have to recognize that you'd be one of the lucky ones, and for most people most of the time, SLS is not a good investment.

Fair enough. I know I'm working against the initial impression of TTTT schools. And you're right--in a situation where some hiring partner at some big firm is sifting through piles of resumes, mine would have far less of a chance at getting called in for an interview than one from a T14 school, based solely on the name. However, that's not the approach I'm taking. I actually WANT to work in a smaller firm, and since smaller firms generally don't have the resources to hire/train a ton of associates, they're far more interested in what actual SKILLS I come to them with. And especially in Savannah (where it's all about networking), most of those positions are filled through word of mouth. That's a large part of why I chose SLS. I knew those three years of law school would be the best time for me to start forming relationships and establishing a reputation out in the community. And thus far, it's paid off. That's why I keep saying that everyone has their own reasons for choosing the school they do, so blanket generalizations like "That was a bad life choice" or "You'll never get a job" are absurd and narrow-minded.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:33 pm

deloga wrote:That's why I keep saying that everyone has their own reasons for choosing the school they do, so blanket generalizations like "That was a bad life choice" or "You'll never get a job" are absurd and narrow-minded.

TLS gives advice based on averages and most likely outcomes. When someone says "You'll never get a job" what they really mean is "you're unlikely to get a job". Of course, no one can say with 100% certainty that something will or won't work out. For most people, a place like SLS would be a bad decision, especially at full price. For someone like you, with ties to the area, a desire to work in a small firm, and a full ride scholarship, maybe it's not. But you're the exception to the rule.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:03 pm

I feel like this is a really bad troll, but that may be because he insists on calling it SLS.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:58 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:I feel like this is a really bad troll, but that may be because he insists on calling it SLS.

*sigh* Again, "he" is actually a she. And I call it "SLS" because that's an acronym. An acronym is an abbreviated form of a long name that is formed by combining the first letter of each word. For example, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries becomes "OPEC." So, here, the acronym for "Savannah Law School" is "SLS."

*This remedial grammar lesson has been brought to you free of charge by deloga--the he/she fake law student from the fake law school who has no hope of ever passing the bar or getting a "real legal job" (aside from the one he/she already has of course).

irish921

Postby irish921 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:19 am

I like you, Deloga. Troll or otherwise, this thread has amused me as I break from finals studying momentarily. A special snowflake with some feisty bite.

Oh, and I have no comment about the actual topic. Carry on.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:23 am

irish921 wrote:I like you, Deloga. Troll or otherwise, this thread has amused me as I break from finals studying momentarily. A special snowflake with some feisty bite.

Oh, and I have no comment about the actual topic. Carry on.

:D
Hey! Let's keep any mention of finals out of here. Secured Transactions is kicking my ass (yes, we know what Article 9 is too).

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:20 am

deloga wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:I feel like this is a really bad troll, but that may be because he insists on calling it SLS.

*sigh* Again, "he" is actually a she. And I call it "SLS" because that's an acronym. An acronym is an abbreviated form of a long name that is formed by combining the first letter of each word. For example, the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries becomes "OPEC." So, here, the acronym for "Savannah Law School" is "SLS."

*This remedial grammar lesson has been brought to you free of charge by deloga--the he/she fake law student from the fake law school who has no hope of ever passing the bar or getting a "real legal job" (aside from the one he/she already has of course).

(Person attending Savannah gives grammar lessons.)

I suppose by that logic Howard should be called HLS because grammar. Dozo could be called YLS because abbreviations.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:45 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:
deloga wrote:

(Person attending Savannah gives grammar lessons.)

I suppose by that logic Howard should be called HLS because grammar. Dozo could be called YLS because abbreviations.

Lol. Go ahead. Trot out the "You go to SLS. Therefore, you are of sub-par intelligence." There's NOTHING sexier than a superiority complex.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say sexy? I meant sad. Really, really sad.

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:59 am

I still think you are a troll, but to extrapolate further--unrelated to Savannah or your situation--on the argument that TTT matrics are inherently stupid or less qualified, I don't necessarily think that is true. What I do think is true is that you have to seriously question the decision-making ability of someone who pays hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to a school with less than a 50% chance of becoming an atty. That makes him appear to be autonomously wealthy at best, and irrational or unintelligent at worst.

If you're not a troll, then carry on defending Savannah or whatever your endgame is. I wish nothing but models and bottles, esq. in your future.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:37 am

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:I still think you are a troll, but to extrapolate further--unrelated to Savannah or your situation--on the argument that TTT matrics are inherently stupid or less qualified, I don't necessarily think that is true. What I do think is true is that you have to seriously question the decision-making ability of someone who pays hundreds of thousands of dollars to go to a school with less than a 50% chance of becoming an atty. That makes him appear to be autonomously wealthy at best, and irrational or unintelligent at worst.

If you're not a troll, then carry on defending Savannah or whatever your endgame is. I wish nothing but models and bottles, esq. in your future.

Here's some fuel for your unintelligent fire. Since I don't regularly post on discussion forums, I actually had to look up what you meant by "troll." Since I'm assuming you aren't referring to "a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance," I did a little more digging, and found this: "make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them." I find that really interesting. I found a forum where people were bashing my school and everyone associated with it, decided to post about why I personally chose to attend there, and that makes ME the offensive one? I know once a person becomes entrenched in a certain way of thinking, anything that challenges that mindset will quickly be dismissed as "wrong" or "stupid" but damn. What part of what I'm saying is so upsetting? The fact that I've already developed serious connections in the legal community where I plan to practice? What elicits such an angry response? The fact that I already have a job? I'm honestly confused.

KD35

Postby KD35 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:48 am

deloga wrote:Here's some fuel for your unintelligent fire. Since I don't regularly post on discussion forums, I actually had to look up what you meant by "troll." Since I'm assuming you aren't referring to "a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance," I did a little more digging, and found this: "make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them." I find that really interesting.

That's a troll comment.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:54 am

KD35 wrote:
deloga wrote:Here's some fuel for your unintelligent fire. Since I don't regularly post on discussion forums, I actually had to look up what you meant by "troll." Since I'm assuming you aren't referring to "a mythical, cave-dwelling being depicted in folklore as either a giant or a dwarf, typically having a very ugly appearance," I did a little more digging, and found this: "make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them." I find that really interesting.

That's a troll comment.

THAT qualifies as a troll comment? Wow--people on here are far more sensitive than I ever would have imagined. If that's offensive/provocative enough to be a troll comment, then about 90% of the things that have been said to me on here would DEFINITELY be troll comments.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:09 am

deloga wrote:
KD35 wrote:

That's a troll comment.

THAT qualifies as a troll comment? Wow--people on here are far more sensitive than I ever would have imagined. If that's offensive/provocative enough to be a troll comment, then about 90% of the things that have been said to me on here would DEFINITELY be troll comments.

Trolling isn't actually about being offensive or provocative, it's about being disingenuous/saying things BECAUSE they get a rise out of people. Expressing an opinion, no matter how contrarian or obnoxious, doesn't really qualify if the poster is sincere.

Calling someone a troll is kind of like saying they're full of shit.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:23 am

MarkinKansasCity wrote:Expressing an opinion, no matter how contrarian or obnoxious, doesn't really qualify if the poster is sincere.

Interesting. So when I get called a troll, it's because someone managed to climb inside my head and evaluate my sincerity level? I'm genuinely confused as to what would possibly motivate me to lie about going to SLS--why would I come to such a hostile, elitist environment and say I go to a school everyone is openly mocking?

Here's an outrageous thought--maybe I'm telling the truth.

MarkinKansasCity

Postby MarkinKansasCity » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:35 am

deloga wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:Expressing an opinion, no matter how contrarian or obnoxious, doesn't really qualify if the poster is sincere.

Interesting. So when I get called a troll, it's because someone managed to climb inside my head and evaluate my sincerity level? I'm genuinely confused as to what would possibly motivate me to lie about going to SLS--why would I come to such a hostile, elitist environment and say I go to a school everyone is openly mocking?

Here's an outrageous thought--maybe I'm telling the truth.

It's hard to believe anyone would be naive enough to defend Savannah Law School as an institution. Again, see Indiana Tech as an example of why.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 am

There are also people here who call every post they disagree with troll. I wouldn't get hung up on that particular word.

sundontshine

Postby sundontshine » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:42 am

I know deloga might just be messing with us, but this thread is hilarious.

Deloga, you realize nobody is saying that SLS didn't work out for you? Clearly you got what you wanted out of it since you're not in debt and will be in Savannah. Congratulations, you beat absolutely ridiculous odds. What everyone is saying is that the school itself is an abomination and should not exist, given that a significant majority of your classmates will not get jobs as lawyers and will be significantly in debt.

Does that mean you are not going to be a good lawyer? No. Does it mean anyone is saying that your classes are "fake"? No, I don't know why you started that line of thought other than the trolling. It means that most of your classmates will not get the chance to prove whether they are good lawyers because nobody will hire them to be a lawyer, given the horrific hiring statistics of Savannah LS and schools of similar caliber. Therefore, you beating the odds does not mean that your classmates made an intelligent financial decision to attend the school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”