Savannah Law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deloga

Re: Savannah Law school

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:42 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:And since it seems like you will entertain bets, I will offer 3:1 odds up to a $3,000 payout that Savannah will not average 30% biglaw+fedclerk--an extremely generous definition of runaway success--for it's first three years of graduating classes. Money must be escrowed (non-negotiable).

Ah. So biglaw+fedclerk would be the only way to define a school's success. No thanks. 1. I don't buy into that mindset, and 2. I'm still a broke ass law student with more important things (like rent and beer) to pay for.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:47 pm

downinDtown wrote:How about we double down and say that SLS will be the premier legal training academy (too generous to call them a "law school," but "lawlz school" is apropos) of the new Tier V (TTTTT) law schools (i.e., schools that use a TTTT school's accredited status to open a new law school)

Requisites for membership are as follows:
1) In the employment category, each year there must be more graduating baristas than lawyers;
2) A location in a scenic, but forgettable and quaint town with a population less than 150,000;
3) An acronym that will lead to confusion with other pretentious and pompous academic institutions;
4) Pictures of special snowflakes adorning the halls, classrooms, and school promotional literature, to remind each person that chooses to attend the school that statistics, data, and facts are not enough to quell the dreamer inside of you;
5) Perhaps a slogan like "You can do it, if you defy the odds" would be fitting as well;
6) Not to mention, it would be ideal that these bastions of learning open their doors to eager legal scholars in the depths of a Great Recession because their job prospects upon graduation will certainly lead to great depression;
7) And last but not least, because there is tremendous competition in fighting to get law school applicants to attend each school, to entice these bright-eyed neophytes to attend these TTTTT institutions, the tuition will be a bargain-basement rate of just $40,000* (fully non-dischargeable of course).

*To calculate tuition amount: take annual median salary of all employed TTTTT graduates, multiply by 3, and add 10% annual tuition increases for good measure

Well. Aren't you an asshole? Funny, but an asshole nonetheless. :lol:

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 pm

deloga wrote:
phillywc wrote:Deloga, I sincerely hope you are successful. You will have a decent shot at getting a job because you are in a better position than your peers. That doesn't change the fact that Savannah is not a good choice for nearly all applicants.

Good luck and all, but you have to understand the risk of the school.

Well, thank you. And hey--I've never once anywhere in the history of this thread claimed that it WOULD be a good choice for all (or most) applicants. In fact, it'd be a pretty terrible choice for a lot of people. But just because it's a brand new, unranked school doesn't mean it's not a great pick for some people. People can keep calling me "snowflake" all they want, but again--not everyone is the same. (And thank God for that--there seem to be some really pompous douche bags running around on here, and I'd sure hate to be lumped in with all of them lol)

Only pompous douche bags call other people pompous douche bags and assholes. :lol:

And the reason people on TLS call certain people "snowflakes" is because they think that they are unique and that of all the people to defy the odds, they will be the one. After all, not everyone will be the same on a curve.

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:58 pm

downinDtown wrote:Only pompous douche bags call other people pompous douche bags and assholes. :lol:

And the reason people on TLS call certain people "snowflakes" is because they think that they are unique and that of all the people to defy the odds, they will be the one. After all, not everyone will be the same on a curve.

Haha, so I'm a pompous douche bag now too? It's getting hard to keep track of what all I am. Let's see, so far we've got pompous douche bag, snowflake, troll, irresponsible, unintelligent, irrational, and naïve. So which is it? All of the above? I'm learning so much about myself!

downinDtown

Postby downinDtown » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:35 pm

deloga wrote:
downinDtown wrote:Only pompous douche bags call other people pompous douche bags and assholes. :lol:

Haha, so I'm a pompous douche bag now too? It's getting hard to keep track of what all I am. Let's see, so far we've got pompous douche bag, snowflake, troll, irresponsible, unintelligent, irrational, and naïve. So which is it? All of the above? I'm learning so much about myself!

You're just a regular DUSTUP BIN, aren't ya?
Douche - Unintelligent - Snowflake - Troll - Unfit (to be a lawyer if you don't pass the bar)* - Pompous - Bag of ___ - Irrational - Naive

And all the other normative, overly broad mocking terms I can think of! If you add any more, I'm going to need an anagram solver. Somehow you escalated me calling you a "snowflake" into calling me a "funny asshole." So I guess we're even.

I'm sure you're have more time to do all of this self-searching to figure out who you are and what you want to do in life post-graduation.... :D It will be important that you know how to operate a dustup bin when you graduate barista school, jk (which reminds me future "barista" could substitute for "bag" in the anagram).

*And I needed another "U" word to make this work so forgive my authorial liberty

deloga

Postby deloga » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:17 pm

downinDtown wrote:You're just a regular DUSTUP BIN, aren't ya?
Douche - Unintelligent - Snowflake - Troll - Unfit (to be a lawyer if you don't pass the bar)* - Pompous - Bag of ___ - Irrational - Naive

And all the other normative, overly broad mocking terms I can think of! If you add any more, I'm going to need an anagram solver. Somehow you escalated me calling you a "snowflake" into calling me a "funny asshole." So I guess we're even.

I'm sure you're have more time to do all of this self-searching to figure out who you are and what you want to do in life post-graduation.... :D It will be important that you know how to operate a dustup bin when you graduate barista school, jk (which reminds me future "barista" could substitute for "bag" in the anagram).

*And I needed another "U" word to make this work so forgive my authorial liberty

Lmao. Barista is so over-rated. Being the snowflake that I am, I'm going to use my worthless law degree for something so much more exciting--like bounty hunting or bull riding. (See? I kept with the B's because I'm here to make your life easier any way I can).

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:49 pm

deloga wrote:
n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:And since it seems like you will entertain bets, I will offer 3:1 odds up to a $3,000 payout that Savannah will not average 30% biglaw+fedclerk--an extremely generous definition of runaway success--for it's first three years of graduating classes. Money must be escrowed (non-negotiable).

Ah. So biglaw+fedclerk would be the only way to define a school's success. No thanks. 1. I don't buy into that mindset, and 2. I'm still a broke ass law student with more important things (like rent and beer) to pay for.

Not that this conversation is especially serious, but: this standard doesn't mean that getting biglaw/federal clerkships is the only way to succeed as a lawyer; it's just that if a school sends a lot of people to biglaw/federal clerkships, they usually have the placement power to put students in other jobs as well.

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:44 pm

How is this thread still alive?

deloga

Postby deloga » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Biglaw_Associate_V20 wrote:How is this thread still alive?

Don't look now, but I'm pretty sure you bumped it back to the top. Isn't that how this thing works? :wink:

gnomgnomuch

Postby gnomgnomuch » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:07 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
deloga wrote:That's why I keep saying that everyone has their own reasons for choosing the school they do, so blanket generalizations like "That was a bad life choice" or "You'll never get a job" are absurd and narrow-minded.

TLS gives advice based on averages and most likely outcomes. When someone says "You'll never get a job" what they really mean is "you're unlikely to get a job". Of course, no one can say with 100% certainty that something will or won't work out. For most people, a place like SLS would be a bad decision, especially at full price. For someone like you, with ties to the area, a desire to work in a small firm, and a full ride scholarship, maybe it's not. But you're the exception to the rule.

Plus, the whole point of schools like these is PROFIT. They'll give you a scholarship, but never forget that your scholarship is being given to you by the debt your sticker classmates are taking on. They'll be just as unlikely as you to get a job, except they'll have an insane amount of debt, debt that could ACTUALLY be paid off, by attending a t-14.

TheJanitor6203

Postby TheJanitor6203 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:44 am

gnomgnomuch wrote:
TheSpanishMain wrote:
deloga wrote:That's why I keep saying that everyone has their own reasons for choosing the school they do, so blanket generalizations like "That was a bad life choice" or "You'll never get a job" are absurd and narrow-minded.

TLS gives advice based on averages and most likely outcomes. When someone says "You'll never get a job" what they really mean is "you're unlikely to get a job". Of course, no one can say with 100% certainty that something will or won't work out. For most people, a place like SLS would be a bad decision, especially at full price. For someone like you, with ties to the area, a desire to work in a small firm, and a full ride scholarship, maybe it's not. But you're the exception to the rule.

Plus, the whole point of schools like these is PROFIT. They'll give you a scholarship, but never forget that your scholarship is being given to you by the debt your sticker classmates are taking on. They'll be just as unlikely as you to get a job, except they'll have an insane amount of debt, debt that could ACTUALLY be paid off, by attending a t-14.

Not to mention you're on a website called "TOP-law-schools". 99% of the people here are going/want to go to the T14. You shouldn't expect anything less. I do agree that any school (even SLS) can be a good choice for the right person but there just aren't many cases where a school like SLS is the right choice. Even if you get a full ride. I don't know about SLS but I know a lot of TTTT schools offer schollys with crazy stips like staying in the top 10 or 25%.

tiltedwindmill

Postby tiltedwindmill » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:08 am

Just put SLS on your resume with no further elaboration, some firm will make the mistake.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”