Savannah Law school Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BearsGrl

Gold

Savannah Law school

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:18 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question so feel free to move it to the appropriate forum, but has anyone heard of JMLS's new law school branch that they're opening in Savannah?

Why are more and more schools being allowed to open? Can 2Ls/3Ls talk about their willingness to face a market that constantly is facing new entrants?

TripTrip

Gold

Re: Savannah Law school

Post by TripTrip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:32 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question so feel free to move it to the appropriate forum, but has anyone heard of JMLS's new law school branch that they're opening in Savannah?

Why are more and more schools being allowed to open? Can 2Ls/3Ls talk about their willingness to face a market that constantly is facing new entrants?
A TTT opening another TTT will not affect T1 graduates.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 pm

TripTrip wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question so feel free to move it to the appropriate forum, but has anyone heard of JMLS's new law school branch that they're opening in Savannah?

Understood, but this is more a generic question for T1-non-ranked programs than just a T1 question.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:52 pm

Last year they sent me an email listing what LSAT/GPA gave what kind of scholarship. Then I thought the school was run by idiots (I'm in the wrong geographic region and my GPA is more than 15 points above what garnishes a full scholarship)

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:59 pm

dingbat wrote:

Last year they sent me an email listing what LSAT/GPA gave what kind of scholarship. Then I thought the school was run by idiots (I'm in the wrong geographic region and my GPA is more than 15 points above what garnishes a full scholarship)
But would you think the school was run my idiots if you lived in CA and U of Mich. sent you an email. I don't think that bears any credibility towards it being run by idiots.

I think their tuition pay-scale does.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:03 pm

BearsGrl wrote:But would you think the school was run my idiots if you lived in CA and U of Mich. sent you an email. I don't think that bears any credibility towards it being run by idiots.

If a school in a different geographic region told me that to be eligible for full scholly with a 153 (when my score is within T14 range), yes, I would.

Let me put it this way. Would you expect someone with a 2200 SAT to attend a community college on the other side of the country?
Last edited by dingbat on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:06 pm

dingbat wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:But would you think the school was run my idiots if you lived in CA and U of Mich. sent you an email. I don't think that bears any credibility towards it being run by idiots.

If a school in a different geographic region told me that to be eligible for full scholly with a 153 (when my score is within T14 range), yes, I would.
I get your point, just don't necessarily totally agree with it since we live in a technology era.

scruffy556

Bronze

Post by scruffy556 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Wait, sls is actually a thing? I thought it was just an April fools website ajmls put up and forgot to take down.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Shouldn't you be defending this school because we don't know the circumstances of each individual attending??

Or are you changing your shtick?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lorrum88

New

Post by lorrum88 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:16 pm

...maybe they all intend on going into private practice. Have you ever seen southern Georgia?... lot of fields and people still living in a bygone era. The "good ole boy" still an active moniker, which is applicable to many living in the rural areas. Sad though that a T3 opens a T less than 3-- that screams ..."we are stealing your money fools."

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:05 pm

TripTrip wrote:

"T1" isn't a thing.

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:31 pm

I know it can sometimes be difficult to set aside the arrogance and elitism that plagues many in the legal profession, but an important thing to consider is that not everyone goes to law school for the same reasons. And, perhaps even more importantly, not everyone seeking a JD comes from the same circumstances/background.

For anyone who has deep ties to Savannah (family, job, home, etc.) or for those who want to practice in Savannah (like myself), SLS is a pretty logical choice. You don't have to uproot your entire life, and/or you get to go to school and begin networking in the legal community in which you want to practice. Sure, most of us stand little to no chance at ending up in Biglaw, but most of us are completely OK with that. Most of us are less interested in selling our souls to large firms where we'll work 100 hour weeks for asshole bosses and paychecks we won't have time to enjoy, and are more interested in working for non-profits or smaller firms where we'll have more flexibility, freedom, and time to actually enjoy our (albeit much smaller) paychecks. To us, there is much, much more to success than just dollar signs.

A huge part of my decision to go to SLS was affordability. Sure, I got into better schools, and was offered scholarships at several of them. But no one offered me the full ride SLS did. As someone who isn't independently wealthy and doesn't come from a family who can pay my way through school (must be nice), paying for law school would have been an impossible obstacle for me without pushing school back several years--something I simply wasn't willing to do.

There are absolutely some very real concerns, frustrations, and disadvantages to going to my school. But, for me, it has made law school possible financially and has opened doors where I want to practice that wouldn't have been possible elsewhere. Although my internship in a D.A.'s Office last summer would have been possible to obtain at another school, I've spent my entire 2L year working for a local Superior Court judge--something I couldn't have done from far away. Because of the contacts I made through his office, as soon as finals are over in a couple weeks, I'll begin working for a local criminal defense attorney, where my sole responsibility will be putting together a murder case for him. (Pretty much a dream job, since all I want to do is practice criminal law).So people can talk about the superior networking at other schools all day long, but in my mind, if I want to practice in Savannah, it makes sense to go to law school in Savannah. And the relationships I've built and opportunities I've been given thus far seem to be proving me right. (On that note, I'll readily acknowledge that my classmates who want to practice elsewhere may be in a world of hurt)

Let's pretend for a moment that not all attorneys are cookie-cutter robots in suits with the exact same goals and priorities. Not everyone thinks a degree is something to wave around like you’re a superior human being. Some of us are studying the law because we truly have a passion for it. Because we want to get down in the trenches and fight for those who don’t have the means to fight for themselves. For us, law school is 0% about rank and 100% about how courtroom-ready it’ll make us

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:42 pm

Savannah Law School - churning out passionate, courtroom-ready graduates since 2012.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:52 pm

http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/ ... -atl/2013/

If you are truly passionate about practicing law, may attending school at an extension campus of a place where 32.5% of the class get full time-lawyer jobs within 9 months of graduation isn't the right choice.

Maybe you just want to study cases, and don't care about getting a job though, in which case I don't know why you're in law school.

ETA: Oh, and Deloga, if you hang out here for a while you'll figure out that it's a pretty short list of people with their parents covering tuition here, which is why they're always bitching about debt. If someone talks about going for free, it's because they got a full ride, not because someone else is footing the bill. This isn't about elitism, it's about employment.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Be sure to tell us what percentage of your classmates get good jobs, regardless of specialty.

ETA - holy necro.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:55 pm

cron1834 wrote:Be sure to tell us what percentage of your classmates get good jobs, regardless of specialty.

ETA - holy necro.
It's his first post too. Apparently he's been googling SLS on the interwebz.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ricky-Bobby

Silver

Post by Ricky-Bobby » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:07 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
cron1834 wrote:Be sure to tell us what percentage of your classmates get good jobs, regardless of specialty.

ETA - holy necro.
It's his first post too. Apparently he's been googling SLS on the interwebz.
He/she kept using the SLS acronym, so I started thinking it was an elaborate flame that was going to end with, "so that's why I'm going to Stanford."

I was wrong, though, and now I'm just sad.

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:13 pm

1. He is actually a she :)
2. Yup--we're a brand new school. Clearly, that means none of us will pass the bar or actually find a job.
3. We may technically be owned by John Marshall, but the two have absolutely NOTHING to do with one another (thank God). Of course John Marshall has shitty numbers--it's a pretty shitty school in an area already flooded with lawyers and several other superior schools within an hour or so away.
4. The "elitism" comment was really me just being a smartass--nothing personal meant by it.

Gold

Post by 84651846190 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:21 pm

Every professor at this law school should be ashamed of themselves. They're even worse than the multi-level marketing scamsters because they actually could actually be doing something useful and productive for society, whereas the MLM guys probably wouldn't succeed at anything else.
Last edited by 84651846190 on Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:21 pm

deloga wrote:1. He is actually a she :)
2. Yup--we're a brand new school. Clearly, that means none of us will pass the bar or actually find a job.
3. We may technically be owned by John Marshall, but the two have absolutely NOTHING to do with one another (thank God). Of course John Marshall has shitty numbers--it's a pretty shitty school in an area already flooded with lawyers and several other superior schools within an hour or so away.
4. The "elitism" comment was really me just being a smartass--nothing personal meant by it.
1. ok

2. ok

Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School today announced that the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Council on Legal Education and Admissions has approved its application to open a branch campus in Savannah, Ga., for Fall 2012. Named the Savannah Law School (SLS), the new campus will provide traditional and non-traditional students an opportunity to acquire the skills necessary to enter the profession well-equipped and ready to practice law.
https://www.savannahlawschool.org/2011/ ... -savannah/

The fact that Savannah Law School is a branch of John Marshall is the reason it's already accredited. So, sorry, you're affiliated.

And the whole country is flooded with too many lawyers, not just Atlanta, so there's that.

I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say I wish you the best in your job hunt. There's no statistics to analyze yet, but opening a law school in 2011 was a terrible idea. Check out the Indiana Tech thread to see how this went the last time someone tried it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:35 pm

MarkinKansasCity wrote:
Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School today announced that the American Bar Association’s (ABA) Council on Legal Education and Admissions has approved its application to open a branch campus in Savannah, Ga., for Fall 2012. Named the Savannah Law School (SLS), the new campus will provide traditional and non-traditional students an opportunity to acquire the skills necessary to enter the profession well-equipped and ready to practice law.
https://www.savannahlawschool.org/2011/ ... -savannah/

The fact that Savannah Law School is a branch of John Marshall is the reason it's already accredited. So, sorry, you're affiliated. .
I didn't deny the affiliation. I was merely saying that in practice, the two have nothing to do with one another. Like, at all.

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:41 pm

Bearsgrl? Is this Bearsgrl? I think this is bearsgrl.

arklaw13

Gold

Post by arklaw13 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:00 pm

--ImageRemoved--

deloga

New

Post by deloga » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:05 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Bearsgrl? Is this Bearsgrl? I think this is bearsgrl.
Me? No. No idea who that is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”