Should I write an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
UFKage

Should I write an addendum?

Postby UFKage » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:54 am

I graduated in 2006 with a 3.5, but I have a semester withdrawal from the fall semester of 2003 (fraternity pledge semester...).

I'm a little older and a lot wiser now and I certainly don't take my responsibilities as lightly as I did when I was 19. I've since served 5 years in the military, further impressing on me the importance of self-discipline, and I want to make sure the AdComms know that now, at 30, I'm a lot more dedicated than I was when I was in school.

Would this scenario justify an addendum?

Thanks

Ramius

Re: Should I write an addendum?

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 am

UFKage wrote:I graduated in 2006 with a 3.5, but I have a semester withdrawal from the fall semester of 2003 (fraternity pledge semester...).

I'm a little older and a lot wiser now and I certainly don't take my responsibilities as lightly as I did when I was 19. I've since served 5 years in the military, further impressing on me the importance of self-discipline, and I want to make sure the AdComms know that now, at 30, I'm a lot more dedicated than I was when I was in school.

Would this scenario justify an addendum?

Thanks

It could help, but generally speaking the further you get away from your uGPA, the less it'll matter. Most adcomms will look at your accomplishments since that GPA to determine your level of growth, so I'm not sure an addendum will do anything other than showcase the fact that you don't like your GPA.

Write it if you want, but use some discretion in how it is worded, because it could end up biting you in the ass.

UFKage

Postby UFKage » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:16 am

matthewsean85 wrote:
It could help, but generally speaking the further you get away from your uGPA, the less it'll matter. Most adcomms will look at your accomplishments since that GPA to determine your level of growth, so I'm not sure an addendum will do anything other than showcase the fact that you don't like your GPA.

Write it if you want, but use some discretion in how it is worded, because it could end up biting you in the ass.

Thanks. That sounds about right, but it's the withdrawal (all classes) rather than the GPA which really concerns me. Would that also be less of an issue this long after?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 am

UFKage wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:

Thanks. That sounds about right, but it's the withdrawal (all classes) rather than the GPA which really concerns me. Would that also be less of an issue this long after?

Again, if your only explanation for having that semester withdrawal is that you were immature when you went to college, I'd lean toward letting the rest of your record speak for your growth in maturity. I don't think the addendum would really hurt you in any major way, but I don't think it will help in your case either.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 am

matthewsean85 wrote:if your only explanation for having that semester withdrawal is that you were immature when you went to college, I'd lean toward letting the rest of your record speak for your growth in maturity.

+1

If your addendum looks like this: "Man, I was REALLLLYY immature in college. Like for realz. Imma take law school serious tho." Don't write it. Even if it looks more professional that that, it's really not necessary. You want your application to show and not tell. Like matthewsean85 said, AdComms will look at your accomplishments after UG for you as a non-trad. Your GPA is going to hurt medians anyway, and an addendum won't change that.

UFKage

Postby UFKage » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:27 pm

I took another look at my transcript, and it looks like I really bounced back with much better grades for every semester after that one, so I will not be writing an addendum.

Thanks to all for your input.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”