Messed up on "Education" part of my apps, big deal?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
red52

Messed up on "Education" part of my apps, big deal?

Postby red52 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:42 pm

I know they are getting my transcripts, so does it matter that I accidentally typed top 10% of class instead of top 20%? i must have done it by mistake when I was filling them out. I know they will be able to see it on my transcript, but will it matter?

Elston Gunn

Re: Messed up on "Education" part of my apps, big deal?

Postby Elston Gunn » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:50 pm

I'd say email them and let them know. Otherwise it just looks like you're a hilariously bad liar.

red52

Postby red52 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:I'd say email them and let them know. Otherwise it just looks like you're a hilariously bad liar.

damn it... now i have to email like 15 different schools :(

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:54 pm

red52 wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:I'd say email them and let them know. Otherwise it just looks like you're a hilariously bad liar.

Look at it this way. If you did this at Goldman Sachs, you'd be fired.

red52

Postby red52 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:51 pm

dingbat wrote:
red52 wrote:

Emails sent, I don't think it should be a big deal. I'm sure plenty of people have typos or nuances of wrong information in their apps. It's not like I had my transcript sitting right in front of me while I was applying. Luckily I checked at least.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:56 pm

red52 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
red52 wrote:

Emails sent, I don't think it should be a big deal. I'm sure plenty of people have typos or nuances of wrong information in their apps. It's not like I had my transcript sitting right in front of me while I was applying. Luckily I checked at least.

What I meant is, it's no big deal if you correct it, but don't bitch about it because if the setting were different, the same mistake could have drastic results

red52

Postby red52 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:17 am

dingbat wrote:Emails sent, I don't think it should be a big deal. I'm sure plenty of people have typos or nuances of wrong information in their apps. It's not like I had my transcript sitting right in front of me while I was applying. Luckily I checked at least.

What I meant is, it's no big deal if you correct it, but don't bitch about it because if the setting were different, the same mistake could have drastic results[/quote]

Ahhh, well thanks for the word of confidence... I honestly freaked out when I saw the mistake. I'm still kind of stressed. I think I'm going to call all of the schools tomorrow as well just to make sure they got my email and they didn't lose it in the spam of "DID I GET IN??!?!" emails they probably get daily. Good idea?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:22 am

red52 wrote:
dingbat wrote:Emails sent, I don't think it should be a big deal. I'm sure plenty of people have typos or nuances of wrong information in their apps. It's not like I had my transcript sitting right in front of me while I was applying. Luckily I checked at least.

What I meant is, it's no big deal if you correct it, but don't bitch about it because if the setting were different, the same mistake could have drastic results

Ahhh, well thanks for the word of confidence... I honestly freaked out when I saw the mistake. I'm still kind of stressed. I think I'm going to call all of the schools tomorrow as well just to make sure they got my email and they didn't lose it in the spam of "DID I GET IN??!?!" emails they probably get daily. Good idea?[/quote]
Do not call and email.
I would just email it but have the title say "Correction - XXX", where the triple X means your name & LSAC number
You could call, which has pros and cons, but do not do both.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:23 am

red52 wrote:Ahhh, well thanks for the word of confidence... I honestly freaked out when I saw the mistake. I'm still kind of stressed. I think I'm going to call all of the schools tomorrow as well just to make sure they got my email and they didn't lose it in the spam of "DID I GET IN??!?!" emails they probably get daily. Good idea?

I would probably say that's unnecessary. You'll be fine - honest mistakes happen. You did the right thing contacting them, though.

Edit: Quote fail.

red52

Postby red52 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:36 am

dingbat wrote:
red52 wrote:

Ahhh, well thanks for the word of confidence... I honestly freaked out when I saw the mistake. I'm still kind of stressed. I think I'm going to call all of the schools tomorrow as well just to make sure they got my email and they didn't lose it in the spam of "DID I GET IN??!?!" emails they probably get daily. Good idea?

Do not call and email.
I would just email it but have the title say "Correction - XXX", where the triple X means your name & LSAC number
You could call, which has pros and cons, but do not do both.[/quote]

I titled the email: Law School Application Mistake Fix****

I put all of my information in the email.

@post above, thanks. TLS always makes me feel better :)

red52

Postby red52 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:41 pm

One more question on the matter:

I got most of the email's back saying "no problem, the change has been made. etc etc"

But one of them kind of disturbed me saying that an error like this could have caused them to report it to the LSAC for misconduct...

Could this really happen? Or was she just in an estrogen educed rage? Could a small mistake like a mistype really be that critical? ESPECIALLY when they get my transcript to look at

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:45 pm

Well, the problem is, it's a "mistake" that would work in your favor if it hadn't been caught. It's one thing to mistype 20% instead of 10%, but typing 10% instead of 20% makes it look like you're trying to boost your chances. She was probably being overpunctilious - some adcomms get that way about C&F stuff - but yeah, misrepresenting your academic credentials can be a big deal.

(also, nice misogyny.)

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:47 pm

red52 wrote:One more question on the matter:

I got most of the email's back saying "no problem, the change has been made. etc etc"

But one of them kind of disturbed me saying that an error like this could have caused them to report it to the LSAC for misconduct...

Could this really happen? Or was she just in an estrogen educed rage? Could a small mistake like a mistype really be that critical? ESPECIALLY when they get my transcript to look at

both. It could be reported to LSAC, but if the mistake was reasonable (e.g. a typo where you sent a correction shortly after submitting the apps) it's unlikely to be considered a serious problem

I'd read it as a stern warning to make sure that nothing else is wrong with your app. That person will probably scrutinize the rest of your materials, but if there's nothing else problematic, it won't be an issue

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”