Recruiting call

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
oaken

Re: Recruiting call

Postby oaken » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:06 pm

jstr00az wrote:This is not legal advice, but some information on private causes of action available to you that may apply in circumstances where calls are unsolicited - you have not applied, but your name is on some list, and some school calls you. Note that schools may have gotten the right to call via consent given when you applied for some third-party product, such as the LSAT.

You might want to consult a lawyer.

Probably the easiest way pursue illegal telemarketers is to sue them in small claims court. Many states have similar statutes.

The relevant Federal statute is 47 U.S.C. 227 and the regulations in 47 CFR 64.1200, both of which you can find at http://www.tcpalaw.com/

That law makes automated telephone soliciations illegal, and gives citizens a private right to action to sue for statutory damages. Each violation of the statute entitles you to $500, which can be trebled at the judge's discretion if the violation can be shown to be "willful and/or knowing," which it almost always is. A single call can contain multiple violations--e.g., 1) the call itself, 2) the failure for the caller to properly identify itself, 3) the blocking of caller ID information. Thus, it is sometimes possible to sue for a single call for $4,500 or more.

dude, come on

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:51 pm

jstr00az wrote:This is not legal advice, but some information on private causes of action available to you that may apply in circumstances where calls are unsolicited - you have not applied, but your name is on some list, and some school calls you. Note that schools may have gotten the right to call via consent given when you applied for some third-party product, such as the LSAT.

Probably the easiest way pursue illegal telemarketers is to sue them in small claims court. Many states have similar statutes.

The relevant Federal statute is 47 U.S.C. 227 and the regulations in 47 CFR 64.1200, both of which you can find at http://www.tcpalaw.com/

That law makes automated telephone soliciations illegal, and gives citizens a private right to action to sue for statutory damages. Each violation of the statute entitles you to $500, which can be trebled at the judge's discretion if the violation can be shown to be "willful and/or knowing," which it almost always is. A single call can contain multiple violations--e.g., 1) the call itself, 2) the failure for the caller to properly identify itself, 3) the blocking of caller ID information. Thus, it is sometimes possible to sue for a single call for $4,500 or more.

Hahaaaaa. Oh, law students.

But anyway. We been linked-to on ITLSS.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:13 am

Twist: He's a law student from a competing TTT

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:32 am

LSAC wrote:The Candidate Referral Service (CRS) makes it possible for law school candidates to provide information about themselves that will make it easy for law schools to recruit them. Law schools may seek out potential applicants on the basis of specific characteristics such as undergraduate major, ethnicity, law school preferences, and other variables. Candidates who establish an LSAC.org account for any purpose may authorize release of their CRS information to law schools participating in the CRS. Many potential applicants are recruited by law schools they might not otherwise have considered.

Barry_D

Postby Barry_D » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:27 pm

I've heard that 'scholarship' offers from law schools usually have strings attached (not to mention that their tuition increases can offset much of the savings).

I'd say that if the schools are that desperate, require a locked-in tuition rate, and a guaranteed scholarship.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:33 pm

Barry_D wrote:I've heard that 'scholarship' offers from law schools usually have strings attached (not to mention that their tuition increases can offset much of the savings).

I'd say that if the schools are that desperate, require a locked-in tuition rate, and a guaranteed scholarship.

That would be called "stipulations" or "stips" here on TLS. Welcome.

To your second point, many of the schools that are obnoxious about calling are not worth attending even when free.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:13 am

I mean, I would definitely react the same way you guys did if I got a call like this, but am I the only one feeling a teeny bit jealous 'cause no TTT bothered to call me :( I'm a nice guy.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:46 am

Micdiddy wrote:I mean, I would definitely react the same way you guys did if I got a call like this, but am I the only one feeling a teeny bit jealous 'cause no TTT bothered to call me :( I'm a nice guy.

Don't worry. No TTT called me either... 4.0/175.

B90

Postby B90 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 am

Micdiddy wrote:I mean, I would definitely react the same way you guys did if I got a call like this, but am I the only one feeling a teeny bit jealous 'cause no TTT bothered to call me :( I'm a nice guy.

Did you give out your phone number to CRS? I did not, because I did not want phone calls.
I prefer to be harassed via email. I do wish schools didn't spend so much money on full color brochures, though. Especially when they send them in those big mailing envelopes with the postage printed on them, as if we are supposed to be impressed by the fact that they spent two dollars of some poor students tuition money trying to get me to send them an app. Biweekly mailings are a bit much, IMHO.

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:26 pm

I havent gotten any cold calls but I have received a tone of emails from schools asking me if Im interested in applying. Mostly schools in the midwest and east I have never heard of.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”