Do schools know about an applicant's other offers?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
lawhopeful10

Do schools know about an applicant's other offers?

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Are adcomms aware how much money in scholarships other schools offer to specific applicants? If not it seems like one could make up an amount they were offered in order to try and squeeze more money out of a peer school. Any thoughts on this?

Shmoopy

Re: Do schools know about an applicant's other offers?

Postby Shmoopy » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:43 pm

I imagine that you would need to include scanned copies of your other scholarship offers when negotiating. If you didn't include them, the school could just ask to see them. Don't really know from experience though.

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:26 pm

Bump

mg7

Postby mg7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:29 pm

lawhopeful10 wrote:Are adcomms aware how much money in scholarships other schools offer to specific applicants? If not it seems like one could make up an amount they were offered in order to try and squeeze more money out of a peer school. Any thoughts on this?

I don't know the answer to this question, but if you are thinking about lying about other offers to get more out of one school, don't do it.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm

mg7 wrote:
lawhopeful10 wrote:Are adcomms aware how much money in scholarships other schools offer to specific applicants? If not it seems like one could make up an amount they were offered in order to try and squeeze more money out of a peer school. Any thoughts on this?

I don't know the answer to this question, but if you are thinking about lying about other offers to get more out of one school, don't do it.

I don't think they do, but don't lie (if you're caught you will be rejected and they will inform other schools you've applied to)

When I negotiated I just said that while the school was my first choice (true) it was expensive, especially in light of other scholarship offers I've gotten.
I did not specify which schools offered the scholarships and how much I was getting, and they never asked. (I was above 75%, though)

oaken

Postby oaken » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

There's an a2z blog entry where dean z writes about following up on a scholarship that an admit said he had received from another school and finding out he was lying

lawhopeful10

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 pm

Thanks for the responses, I was curious

foosbol21

Postby foosbol21 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:07 pm

oaken wrote:There's an a2z blog entry where dean z writes about following up on a scholarship that an admit said he had received from another school and finding out he was lying

Yep, I think this is the one you're talking about.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:08 pm

I'm thinking about sending my LSN link as part of my scholarship negotiation email.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”