Taking a year off: where should I work, what should I do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
David_Hume14

Taking a year off: where should I work, what should I do?

Postby David_Hume14 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:32 pm

.e.
Last edited by David_Hume14 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wtrc

Re: Taking a year off: where should I work, what should I do?

Postby wtrc » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:27 pm

I'm currently in my 2 year post-college period, and I'm so glad I took time off. I also took 3 semesters off after HS, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

A few questions for you, though:

1) I'm assuming you haven't applied to law school yet, so you want something to add to your softs? This isn't time to chill as much as to boost your resume?
2) Have you taken the LSAT yet?

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:31 pm

VISTA/PeaceCorps. One year service domestically. Or do substitute teaching and use that money to fund a half dozen vacations to places like Las Vegas, Miami and Singapore. I have gone to Singapore. I highly recommend it. That place is gorgeous and is an unbelievable trip. You have no idea.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm

If you are looking for a boost going into the application process I agree with the AmeriCorps, Teach for America type of job. It seems like legal jobs help less than one would think, but volunteering helps more and gives you more to write/talk about and a more diverse set of experiences.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:59 pm

I volunteered at an orphanage in Brasil just outside of Rio for a year. Greatest experience ever. Learned to speak Portuguese fluently. Got a good LOR from my boss. Made great friends that I still have. I still keep in touch with the kids via FB. I guy who did it w/ me went to law school too afterwards.
If youre down to work hard there are lots of programs.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm gonna bum around America in my vehicle. Leaving soon, can't wait.

David_Hume14

Postby David_Hume14 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:38 am

weathercoins wrote:I'm currently in my 2 year post-college period, and I'm so glad I took time off. I also took 3 semesters off after HS, and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

A few questions for you, though:

1) I'm assuming you haven't applied to law school yet, so you want something to add to your softs? This isn't time to chill as much as to boost your resume?
2) Have you taken the LSAT yet?

1) That's right. I can't tour Europe.
2) Yes but I'm re-taking in June.

David_Hume14

Postby David_Hume14 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:41 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:VISTA/PeaceCorps. One year service domestically. Or do substitute teaching and use that money to fund a half dozen vacations to places like Las Vegas, Miami and Singapore. I have gone to Singapore. I highly recommend it. That place is gorgeous and is an unbelievable trip. You have no idea.

Yeah, it looks like, in the past, a lot if cool orgs have offered positions through Americorps. My worry is that I won't have a job secured by graduation, since a lot of openings don't come up until mid-summer. That would be nerve-wracking, and slightly embarrassing.

happyshapy

Postby happyshapy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:14 pm

David_Hume14 wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:VISTA/PeaceCorps. One year service domestically. Or do substitute teaching and use that money to fund a half dozen vacations to places like Las Vegas, Miami and Singapore. I have gone to Singapore. I highly recommend it. That place is gorgeous and is an unbelievable trip. You have no idea.

Yeah, it looks like, in the past, a lot if cool orgs have offered positions through Americorps. My worry is that I won't have a job secured by graduation, since a lot of openings don't come up until mid-summer. That would be nerve-wracking, and slightly embarrassing.

Having a month or two of not working after graduation wont matter. Do something worth while like volunteer a few times a week if you're really worried about it.

twenty

Postby twenty » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:31 pm

If you've taken the LSAT and got a decent score, go teach it. Minimum is about 25/hr, which is what, about $2,000 dollars per class?

EDIT> but it probably won't be as softy as TFA/VISTA.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:42 pm

I have a college friend who couch-surfed across America for a year collecting stories and taking photos. From upstate New York to San Francisco and everything in between.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:53 pm

If I were in your position, I would pick a sport you have no experience with, and try to get as good as humanly possible over the course of the year.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:57 pm

I am such a shill for in-house stuff, but I would also look into paralegal/legal assistant-type jobs at prestigious corporations near you. Many of them only take paralegals with experience, but I've seen postings for recent college grads. It's a great way to make connections for a 1L summer job, as well as getting you exposure to legal(ish) work before you make the investment of law school. Looks good to employers and gives you practice networking/hustling for a legal job.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”