What to do?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Snowsurf

What to do?

Postby Snowsurf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:31 pm

Hey TLS,

I just got my scores back from the December LSAT - an underwhelming 162. The weeks leading into the test I was averaging a 168 on my practice tests. I'll be graduating in the spring with a 3.12 (low GPA, I know), and was curious if it would be worth re-taking the test (hoping to get the 168+ that I expected) and then applying late and hope to get into a law school before the start of the fall semester. Otherwise, I could get my applications in in the next week or so, shoot for a high 30s to low 50s ranked school and hope for the best.

Thoughts?

simplycatalina

Re: What to do?

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:52 pm

Snowsurf wrote:Hey TLS,

I just got my scores back from the December LSAT - an underwhelming 162. The weeks leading into the test I was averaging a 168 on my practice tests. I'll be graduating in the spring with a 3.12 (low GPA, I know), and was curious if it would be worth re-taking the test (hoping to get the 168+ that I expected) and then applying late and hope to get into a law school before the start of the fall semester. Otherwise, I could get my applications in in the next week or so, shoot for a high 30s to low 50s ranked school and hope for the best.

Thoughts?

I'm in a similar situation. If you think you can improve your score in February, I'd do that. If not, you could apply now and see where you get in. Also, do you have any fee waivers? I'm just applying to fee waiver schools cause I don't want to spend a lot of money knowing that I could be rejected. If you're not happy with the schools you get into, you can always retake in June and reapply next cycle.

But everyone else on here is just going to tell you "retake" over and over again.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:56 pm

You must retake. The hours/months you spend studying will pay you so handsomely in increased scholarship money and increased job prospects by being able to attend a better school (which means more money over a lifetime).

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:10 pm

Snowsurf wrote:Hey TLS,

Thoughts?

Unless you are independently wealthy or have a trust fund, I would sit out this cycle. I completely empathize, as I was in the same situation last year. You can't retake 1L; now is not the time to make hasty decisions. Sit this cycle out. Seriously. Do NOT retake in February. It is an undisclosed test, so if you need to retake again you won't have any useful info. (i.e. your answer sheets) to study with. You will also never know what questions you missed nor what your answers were. It could cause a world of stress for you. I have watched others in your situation come completely undone by the stress. I don't know you and I obviously can't predict your future with certainty, but if you want sound advice, here it is: sit this cycle out, take a week or so off to clear your mind, and retake in June. This is what I did, and I am a million times better off for it.

Snowsurf

Postby Snowsurf » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:18 pm

After retaking in June, how likely is it to get into a school for Fall 2013?

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Snowsurf wrote:After retaking in June, how likely is it to get into a school for Fall 2013?

You can't apply with a June score for Fall 2013. You'll have to sit out the cycle.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:20 pm

Snowsurf wrote:After retaking in June, how likely is it to get into a school for Fall 2013?

Just give up this cycle. If you're young, there's no need to risk it. The legal market isn't going to change vastly in that year. You're better to wait the year, earn money and then go for Fall 2014.

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:30 pm

Seriously, you need a break! :shock:
I realize my post was multiple sentences long, but it was a far cry from what you saw/will see on the LSAT. :wink: pm me if you want further clarification, free from sarcasm.

Eberry

Postby Eberry » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Sit out a cycle. Work and/or do something you enjoy. Study for the June or October LSAT in 2013. Score high enough to make up for your GPA.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”