25th percentile LSAT/ >75th percentile GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
simplycatalina

25th percentile LSAT/ >75th percentile GPA

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:31 am

Anyone have luck getting in?

Everyone has told me to retake, but when you're supporting a family, it's not always possible. I have a high GPA from Berkeley and a lot of work experience. Any chance of getting into a decent school?
Last edited by simplycatalina on Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Yukos

Re: 25th percentile LSAT/ >75th percentile GPA

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:36 am

Really depends on the school. Check out mylsn.info for specific numbers. You should still retake though, since it could not only open the door to more (better) schools but could also increase your chances of receiving thousands of dollars in scholarships from the schools you're targeting.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:02 am

Yukos wrote:You should still retake though, since it could not only open the door to more (better) schools but could also increase your chances of receiving thousands of dollars in scholarships from the schools you're targeting.

Exactly this. If you're not lying about the high GPA, a high LSAT could bring you a lot of scholarship dollars so that you don't have to worry about supporting your family so much.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:04 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Anyone have luck getting in?

Everyone has told me to retake, but when you're supporting a family, it's not always possible. I have a high GPA from Berkeley and a lot of work experience. Any chance of getting into a decent school?

Retake.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:52 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:Anyone have luck getting in?

If youre supporting a family then I definitely encourage a retake if only for all the scholly money that's available if you get your LSAT up.
Otherwise LSN will give you an idea of what's possible along with Law School Predictor. But if you have a couple of hours a week to spare study up - LSAT is a completely learnable test

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:12 am

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

b123

Postby b123 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:36 am

Ok, everyone agrees on the retake.

But can we stop saying "retake" for one goddamn thread and just answer the question?

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:41 am

b123 wrote:Ok, everyone agrees on the retake.

But can we stop saying "retake" for one goddamn thread and just answer the question?

Yes, a person with said statistics would have a chance of getting in.

It's just important to note that 1-2 months of prep would very likely materialize into anywhere between $30,000 to $150,000 dollars off of tuition paid and/or possible upgrade in school pedigree that could translate into a 7 figure dollar value in terms of present value worth when considering the full timeline of investment.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:50 am

lawschoolnumbers.com

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:57 pm

Thank you for that.

I intend to retake in June. I have fee waivers to the schools I'm applying to and a PS and LORs ready. I thought that given that I have a chance now (albeit about 25-35% at some schools), I might as well apply, write all of the optional essays, and see what happens.

You may all say this is a terrible strategy but I kind of need to do it for peace of mind. I can always reapply next year if I get flat out rejected everywhere.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:15 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:

Thank you for that.

I intend to retake in June. I have fee waivers to the schools I'm applying to and a PS and LORs ready. I thought that given that I have a chance now (albeit about 25-35% at some schools), I might as well apply, write all of the optional essays, and see what happens.

You may all say this is a terrible strategy but I kind of need to do it for peace of mind. I can always reapply next year if I get flat out rejected everywhere.

This is way too many threads for the same topic. You're not going to get the answer you're looking for, so you can either listen to what everyone is saying or do whatever you want.

You should retake for a multitude of reasons. But if you don't want to, that's fine, it's your life. Just please stop making repeated threads about it.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:23 pm

No, this is not possible on TLS.

They don't want to recruit newbies to the site.

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:24 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:

Thank you for that.

I support this strategy. Also, to answer your original question, yes you can. :wink: pm me.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:25 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

I've heard legends of your trolling. Witnessing it in action is like going back in time to see a Beatles concert.

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:30 pm

Yukos wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

I've heard legends of your trolling. Witnessing it in action is like going back in time to see a Beatles concert.

GTFO of the on topics!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Back to the lounge where you belong!

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Yukos wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

This is hilarious. I merely am trying to help TLS appeal to more folks because a limited pool know about it.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:57 pm

BearsGrl wrote:This is hilarious. I merely am trying to help TLS appeal to more folks because a limited pool know about it.

I don't think that's true at all. I think at least half of my law school class knew about TLS before law school, and probably the vast majority have spent time on it by now.

As for OP, it depends a lot on the school. Some schools are very open to the high GPA/low LSAT splitter, but most seem to prefer the high-LSAT. And while bk is right that "retake" is an annoyingly overused mantra at times, it is definitely the right play here. Spend 2-3 months doing real prep work for that June test, and it will likely materialize into better acceptances and bigger scholly dollars. I know studying for the LSAT is a real pain in the butt, and it is probably doubly so with a family and kids, but your family's financial future rides a lot on your job prospects and the debt you rack up, which will be determined almost exclusively by your law school stats. Good luck OP.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:This is hilarious. I merely am trying to help TLS appeal to more folks because a limited pool know about it.

I don't think that's true at all. I think at least half of my law school class knew about TLS before law school, and probably the vast majority have spent time on it by now.

As for OP, it depends a lot on the school. Some schools are very open to the high GPA/low LSAT splitter, but most seem to prefer the high-LSAT. And while bk is right that "retake" is an annoyingly overused mantra at times, it is definitely the right play here. Spend 2-3 months doing real prep work for that June test, and it will likely materialize into better acceptances and bigger scholly dollars. I know studying for the LSAT is a real pain in the butt, and it is probably doubly so with a family and kids, but your family's financial future rides a lot on your job prospects and the debt you rack up, which will be determined almost exclusively by your law school stats. Good luck OP.

Thank you! I plan to retake in June. The thing is I did study for a long time (like 5 months), managed to get my PTs up to >170, and then this happened. This retake will be my third time. I'm concerned that I just can't get my score up on the actual thing. Everyone says it's learnable but I'm afraid that's not the case for me. We'll see.

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Thank you! I plan to retake in June. The thing is I did study for a long time (like 5 months), managed to get my PTs up to >170, and then this happened. This retake will be my third time. I'm concerned that I just can't get my score up on the actual thing. Everyone says it's learnable but I'm afraid that's not the case for me. We'll see.

I think you need a little perspective here. You should be very proud of yourself. First, while not what you expected or hoped for, your LSAT is not so low that it makes people question your GPA. Also, if you are PTing above 170, you HAVE "learned the test". What you have yet to accomplish is having everything fall into place during the ACTUAL test. This does not make you a failure.
While the LSAT is arguably the most "important" or influential part of your app, you still have a very solid app. You should absolutely try your best to do your best. Just don't psych yourself up to think that if you don't improve your score, no one will take you. You have come very far. You still have things to accomplish, but I honestly think you need a vacation. :wink:
Seriously, is there any way you can take a day or even an afternoon and just do something relaxing for yourself? You are burned out. You need to recharge. Get away or at least out of the house for as long as you can. Clear your head, and then come back.
Also, remember the immortal words of Stuart Smiley:
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me. :mrgreen:

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm

B90 wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

I think you need a little perspective here. You should be very proud of yourself. First, while not what you expected or hoped for, your LSAT is not so low that it makes people question your GPA. Also, if you are PTing above 170, you HAVE "learned the test". What you have yet to accomplish is having everything fall into place during the ACTUAL test. This does not make you a failure.
While the LSAT is arguably the most "important" or influential part of your app, you still have a very solid app. You should absolutely try your best to do your best. Just don't psych yourself up to think that if you don't improve your score, no one will take you. You have come very far. You still have things to accomplish, but I honestly think you need a vacation. :wink:
Seriously, is there any way you can take a day or even an afternoon and just do something relaxing for yourself? You are burned out. You need to recharge. Get away or at least out of the house for as long as you can. Clear your head, and then come back.
Also, remember the immortal words of Stuart Smiley:
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me. :mrgreen:

Aww, thank you so much. :) I really appreciate all of your help and this actually made my day.

Postby 20141023 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:25 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:38 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Just to speak on behalf of all traditional, non-underrepresented minority, straight reverse splitters with no military experience who refused to retake the LSAT: kappycaft1

...but if retaking is an option for you, you should probably do it as everyone else has already recommended.

Congrats on the acceptances! :) And I intend to retake in June, I'm just going to apply now and see what happens. I have fee waivers and I'll survive if I happen to be rejected everywhere.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:Just to speak on behalf of all traditional, non-underrepresented minority, straight reverse splitters with no military experience who refused to retake the LSAT: kappycaft1

...but if retaking is an option for you, you should probably do it as everyone else has already recommended.

kappycaft1, I mean this in the most respectful way possible but I think what you're saying could be dangerous if read by the wrong reverse splitter. Obviously your GPA is great, your LSAT is higher than most reverse splitters, and your work experience/softs must be pretty decent to get into Chicago with those numbers.

I think the danger here is a bunch of k-jd 155/3.68 "reverse splitters" who were their fraternity co-treasurers reading something like this from a respected poster and thinking it's ok to just let it ride. Retake is almost always credited and it is always an option. No one has to go to law school.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:37 pm

BigZuck wrote:

kappycaft1, I mean this in the most respectful way possible but I think what you're saying could be dangerous if read by the wrong reverse splitter. Obviously your GPA is great, your LSAT is higher than most reverse splitters, and your work experience/softs must be pretty decent to get into Chicago with those numbers.

I think the danger here is a bunch of k-jd 155/3.68 "reverse splitters" who were their fraternity co-treasurers reading something like this from a respected poster and thinking it's ok to just let it ride. Retake is almost always credited and it is always an option. No one has to go to law school.

I agree that if you were lazy about the LSAT, you should retake. However, I think there are a lot of people who are very intelligent and just not good at the LSAT. I studied my ass off for 6 months and this happened. But I started with a diagnostic of 147. I took numerous challenging classes at Berkeley and did well. Something about this test fucks me over.

I have numerous friends who PTed at 170+ and ended up with a 160-165 score. I know that it's not ideal but I think with good softs, a decent PS, and good LORs, it's not impossible to get into a decent school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”