Add any schools to my list? New England schools.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
xodaryll

Add any schools to my list? New England schools.

Postby xodaryll » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:49 pm

LSAT 162, GPA 3.91, non-URM

I have applied to Maine, New Hampshire, Western New England, BC, BU, Northeastern, Quinnipiac, UConn, and Fordham.

Debating Yale and Harvard but I doubt it.

Should I consider any others?

Re: Add any schools to my list? New England schools.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:52 pm

Retake and then Yale/Harvard will easily be within reach.

bailey8078

Postby bailey8078 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 pm

Fordham isnt in New England. Harvard and Yale are a waste of that green, put it in your pocket - youll need it later to pay the greedy dean when he comes knocking before each semester

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:54 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:Retake and then Yale/Harvard will easily be within reach.

This. At the very least you can improve your scholly $$$$.

Don't waste that killer GPA.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:55 pm

Do not apply to Western New England.
Also.
RETAKE. You have a 3.91, a better LSAT will get you in with money at BC and BU, open the door at the 2 NYC schools (since you apparently are OK with NYC too) and high enough opens the possibility of Harvard.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:08 pm

Last edited by stillwater on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xodaryll

Postby xodaryll » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:17 pm

I know Fordham isn't in NE, but it's close enough...not sure I could afford to live in NYC for 3 years though.

I am considering retaking but for this cycle I was just deciding if I should apply anywhere else.

I really only applied to WNE because it's about 5 minutes from my house, I know a few people who go there/seem to like it but stats/online seem to be the opposite reputation, haha

gaud

Postby gaud » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Focusing on the retake is going to be your best bet. Best scenario is ending up at your dream school, worst is going to one of the schools you're considering now for free or close to it.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:19 am

Buy prep books, practice tests and get to work. Dont waste that voluptuous GPA. Worried about $? Raise the LSAT score and go to a much better school with a lot more money.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 am

xodaryll wrote:I know Fordham isn't in NE, but it's close enough...not sure I could afford to live in NYC for 3 years though.

I am considering retaking but for this cycle I was just deciding if I should apply anywhere else.

I really only applied to WNE because it's about 5 minutes from my house, I know a few people who go there/seem to like it but stats/online seem to be the opposite reputation, haha

You can probably get $10k scholly out of Fordham. If you retake and improve your score, that'll go up. I don't know how well the school places in New England, though

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 am

Rhode Island, NESL. I will try to do more research for you. Please be patient with me. i type slowly.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:06 am

B90 wrote:Rhode Island, NESL. I will try to do more research for you. Please be patient with me. i type slowly.

TLS Profile wrote:There are several reasons a prospective student should approach NESL with caution. The school charges very high tuition and is located in a city with fairly high cost of living. Employment data indicates that between 17% and 24% of graduates are jobless even nine months after graduation, and the way the school chooses to report salary data, giving only average and maximum salaries, leaves no clear picture of the overall salary trends for New England Law graduates. Finally, it shares a market with Northeastern, Suffolk, Boston College, and, to the extent that their students seek jobs in the area, Boston University and Harvard

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 am

dingbat wrote:
B90 wrote:Rhode Island, NESL. I will try to do more research for you. Please be patient with me. i type slowly.

TLS Profile wrote:There are several reasons a prospective student should approach NESL with caution. The school charges very high tuition and is located in a city with fairly high cost of living. Employment data indicates that between 17% and 24% of graduates are jobless even nine months after graduation, and the way the school chooses to report salary data, giving only average and maximum salaries, leaves no clear picture of the overall salary trends for New England Law graduates. Finally, it shares a market with Northeastern, Suffolk, Boston College, and, to the extent that their students seek jobs in the area, Boston University and Harvard

I have met several of their fine graduates. Their Bar passage rate is the only number you need.
I meant I will do research to add to the list. I think it should be longer.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 am

B90 wrote:I have met several of their fine graduates. Their Bar passage rate is the only number you need.

You should stop giving advice.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:18 am

If the school is not Harvard/BU/BC and that school is in New England, it is not worth going to. Period. (limited exceptions for UConn and UMaine for desire to stay in that market with huge scholarships/ in-state (even though neither of these schools give them bc state schools are misers)).

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:40 am

stillwater wrote:If the school is not Harvard/BU/BC and that school is in New England, it is not worth going to. Period. (limited exceptions for UConn and UMaine for desire to stay in that market with huge scholarships/ in-state (even though neither of these schools give them bc state schools are misers)).

I love when OP says that he's already interested in a retake, but TLSers's keep repeating retake. Seriously, address OP's question or don't comment.

If OP is concerned about living in NY, then maybe OP wants to put law school on pause for a year or two until he has some firmer financial ground.

Postby 20130312 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 am

BearsGrl wrote:
stillwater wrote:If the school is not Harvard/BU/BC and that school is in New England, it is not worth going to. Period. (limited exceptions for UConn and UMaine for desire to stay in that market with huge scholarships/ in-state (even though neither of these schools give them bc state schools are misers)).

I love when OP says that he's already interested in a retake, but TLSers's keep repeating retake. Seriously, address OP's question or don't comment.

No. The only answer to OP's question is retake. Anything else would be bad advice.

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am

OP, if you answer a few questions, I can give you more helpful advice.
Do you currently live in NE or are you planning to move here?
Do you have fee waivers for any of these schools?
What city would you ideally like to practice in?
Do you have a family to consider?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

No. The only answer to OP's question is retake. Anything else would be bad advice.

Sure, but after a few people say it, you don't need another 20.

Also, why the heck are you even on this site over break? Go enjoy yourself!

Postby 20130312 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:48 am

Damnit, I didn't even realize it was BearsGrl that posted that :lol: Gonna go enjoy myself now.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 am

InGoodFaith wrote:Damnit, I didn't even realize it was BearsGrl that posted that :lol: Gonna go enjoy myself now.

I'm just saying that for being someone that performed so well their first semester, you're spending a lot of times indoors instead of being outside. Who knows - maybe you're an introvert.

B90

Postby B90 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:00 pm

This is true. However, if you can afford the $121 fee, I would toss an app at Harvard. This cycle, you never know.
Do you have a good PS/DS or interesting softs? I mean, you are far from an auto-reject.
You could always apply AND retake. If this is possible for you, this is honestly what I would do. Also, I am happy to edit your PS/DS when you get to that point.

xodaryll

Postby xodaryll » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:11 pm

B90 wrote:OP, if you answer a few questions, I can give you more helpful advice.
Do you currently live in NE or are you planning to move here?
Do you have fee waivers for any of these schools?
What city would you ideally like to practice in?
Do you have a family to consider?

I live in NE (live in MA, go to school in CT).
I have fee waivers for all of the schools I have applied to (not LSAC, I either received or asked for them).
I would most likely want to live in MA (Boston area probably) or CT (around Hartford), open to the idea of living in CT and commuting to NYC maybe.
No family of my own- still in undergrad!

xodaryll

Postby xodaryll » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:17 pm

B90 wrote:

This is true. However, if you can afford the $121 fee, I would toss an app at Harvard. This cycle, you never know.
Do you have a good PS/DS or interesting softs? I mean, you are far from an auto-reject.
You could always apply AND retake. If this is possible for you, this is honestly what I would do. Also, I am happy to edit your PS/DS when you get to that point.

PS about life experiences leading to interest in Family Law. Involved in a few service organizations at school, service trip to NOLA, member of Peer Conduct Board, few honor societies/scholarships, held PT jobs throughout school..I don't really feel like I'm too interesting/diverse haha :(

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”