Would You Submit this LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hallbd16

Would You Submit this LOR?

Postby hallbd16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:48 am

So I have a LOR from my former employer, it says good things about me and verifies two important pieces that I talk about in my PS, the reason I asked for it. However, my former boss sent it my way and I noticed it is has numerous typos, small grammar errors, and spelling issues. Need to act fast though, before Monday I presume.

Options:
1. I could leave it as is and send it to all schools.
2. I could remove it from LORs that schools receive. Assuming I can do this on lsac website (I think I can).
3. I could tell him about all the typos and ask him to re-submit. Note: he already re-submitted once because he repeatedly misspelled my name. Also, I am asking him to redo it since I have already been pestering him to get it done and sent in for a couple months.

Thoughts, your vote?
I would add a poll, but I don't know how to do that.

TripTrip

Re: Would You Submit this LOR?

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:58 am

hallbd16 wrote:However, my former boss sent it my way and I noticed it is has numerous typos, small grammar errors, and spelling issues.

Not a big deal since it's not your writing and was never meant to be seen by you. It might reduce his credibility, though.

hallbd16 wrote:he repeatedly misspelled my name

That's... problematic.

hallbd16

Postby hallbd16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:15 am

TripTrip wrote:
hallbd16 wrote:However, my former boss sent it my way and I noticed it is has numerous typos, small grammar errors, and spelling issues.

Not a big deal since it's not your writing and was never meant to be seen by you. It might reduce his credibility, though.

hallbd16 wrote:he repeatedly misspelled my name

That's... problematic.

I noticed the mispelling of my name right away when he sent it to me. I emailed him to inform him. He then re-submitted the LOR with my name correctly spelled. So that is no longer an issue.

I noticed the typos and grammatical issues the next day. Yeah, I don't want to send a second email asking him to edit and re-re-submit :)

But yeah Trip Trip, I agree that it doesn't impact my ability, though likely makes him less credible. However, I am not relying on his LOR for my academic ability, just to verify my commitment, abilty to overcome obstacles, and success in the education field. This makes me lean to option 1, ignore it. Don't worry about it.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:21 am

Who are your other LORs?

mg7

Postby mg7 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:33 am

hallbd16 wrote:So I have a LOR from my former employer, it says good things about me and verifies two important pieces that I talk about in my PS, the reason I asked for it. However, my former boss sent it my way and I noticed it is has numerous typos, small grammar errors, and spelling issues. Need to act fast though, before Monday I presume.

Options:
1. I could leave it as is and send it to all schools.
2. I could remove it from LORs that schools receive. Assuming I can do this on lsac website (I think I can).
3. I could tell him about all the typos and ask him to re-submit. Note: he already re-submitted once because he repeatedly misspelled my name. Also, I am asking him to redo it since I have already been pestering him to get it done and sent in for a couple months.

Thoughts, your vote?
I would add a poll, but I don't know how to do that.

If you decide his LOR is worth more than your other LORs:
While it may be somewhat embarrassing to point all of those mistakes out to your former boss, he is sending it to you to look over for a reason. Find a very tactful way to correct his mistakes, and then submit it. No point in losing credibility because you were just being too polite.

hallbd16

Postby hallbd16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:42 am

My other two LORs are both professors who observed my in an academic setting. My senior thesis advisor and my professor for a senior capstone project.

I suppose I could makes suggestions to him. I need to think it over how to phrase it. He sent me a PDF, a locked copy, so it is not easy to point out the gramatical errors to him, but manageable.

So mg7 your vote is not to include if the edits aren't fixed. The purpose of this LOR remember is not my academic ability, but my commitment to the field I talk about in my PS and the verification of accomplishments I talk about in the PS.

mg7

Postby mg7 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:10 am

hallbd16 wrote:My other two LORs are both professors who observed my in an academic setting. My senior thesis advisor and my professor for a senior capstone project.

I suppose I could makes suggestions to him. I need to think it over how to phrase it. He sent me a PDF, a locked copy, so it is not easy to point out the gramatical errors to him, but manageable.

So mg7 your vote is not to include if the edits aren't fixed. The purpose of this LOR remember is not my academic ability, but my commitment to the field I talk about in my PS and the verification of accomplishments I talk about in the PS.

I'll disclose that I am also a 0L, so the advice I'm providing is merely my personal opinion, but I would say that the difference between the LOR as it currently stands and a revised version of the LOR would be the difference between a potentially good and potentially great LOR. While in the grand scheme of things LORs may only matter a little bit, if you are trying to get into the best law school you can, why not make sure everything is absolutely perfect?

I was in similar situation as you with an employer who had nothing but wonderful things to say about me, but her LOR was wrought with grammatical and spelling errors. When I tried to politely request she correct those mistakes she didn't respond, so I ended up leaving that LOR out because as I saw it (and as TripTrip pointed out earlier), I don't want the person recommending me to be in a position where their credibility comes into question. Since your other 2 LORs are academic in nature and this 3rd one speaks to your work experience, I'd say it is an important one to include. If it comes down to having to choose whether not include it because of the errors or to include it with the errors, I'd say it's your own call because you understand your situation and the potential value of that LOR better than I do. But why not at least try to make it the best you can?

hallbd16

Postby hallbd16 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:05 am

Thanks all for the advice. I sent him a email politely pointing them out (blaming it on auto-correct) and asked him to redo and resubmit. Had nothing to lose by doing it, so thanks for talking sense into me.

edit: I am prone to grammatical errors too... damn.
Last edited by hallbd16 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mg7

Postby mg7 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:39 pm

hallbd16 wrote:Thanks all for the advice. I sent him a email politely pointing them out (blaming it on auto-correct) and asked him to redo and resubmit. Had nothing to lose by doing it, so thanks for talking sense into me.

No problem and good luck!

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:10 pm

I think the key is that it confirms things you talked about. My professional LOR had one typoish thing. One or two, fine. If there are a lot, go back to him. But obviously, because it's not your writing, it really doesn't matter that much (one or two, that is)...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”