LSAT Addendum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elorica8

LSAT Addendum

Postby elorica8 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:13 am

Last edited by elorica8 on Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

xjustyoursmile

Re: LSAT Addendum

Postby xjustyoursmile » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:37 am

I went from a 153 to a 168.

I think it doesn't hurt you to be honest. I was.
But I think you should focus on the hard work you put it to be able to bring that score up. Focus on your realization that you really DO want to go to law school and you put in so much time and effort to bring that score up in order to do so. Show commitment.

I don't think you should specifically say you regret cancelling it. You shouldn't regret anything since it did give you a better understanding of how much work you have to put in to do better.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:40 am

Thanks for your advice.

Do you think I should mention that I was ill? I have horrible nerves and spent some time in the bathroom that first time I took the test. That of course explains a lot, but it seems like an even worse decision not to cancel.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:41 am

Basically say, "I took the LSAT after insufficient preparation the first time. The second time, I prepared more thoroughly and my score improved by XX points."

Leave out the hand-wringing emotional garbage. The adcomms just want to know whether you had a legit reason like your mother died the day before the test or you took it writing with the wrong hand and high on painkillers because you'd broken your wrist that week. You don't have a legit reason. Tell them that and move on.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:42 am

elorica8 wrote:Thanks for your advice.

Do you think I should mention that I was ill? I have horrible nerves and spent some time in the bathroom that first time I took the test. That of course explains a lot, but it seems like an even worse decision not to cancel.

No, because that's not "being ill," that's having testing anxiety. Also not a legit excuse.

xjustyoursmile

Postby xjustyoursmile » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
elorica8 wrote:Thanks for your advice.

No, because that's not "being ill," that's having testing anxiety. Also not a legit excuse.

+1

If you had some serious stuff going on then maybe. But like Rink said, if you don't have a big reason for not doing well the first time just focus on the work you did to get the better score.

Also, not cancelling is not a bad decision. Most schools don't even average and a significant jump from the 140s to the 160s is a great accomplishment. Focus on your drive to go to law school and you worked hard to better your chances. They don't care about test anxieties. Everybody has them.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 am

Okay, good input. Thank you both. Very helpful.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:36 am

Hey All,

Would appreciate any feedback on the following addendum:

"My second, most recent LSAT score is, I believe, a better reflection of my abilities. The first time I took the LSAT, I was under considerable stress beginning the academic year, applying to many jobs, and planning my senior thesis. I did not prepare sufficiently for the exam. Before the second LSAT administration I took, I prepared and drilled thoroughly, and, though I was not able to participate in a course or hire a tutor, the time I invested in self-study led to a drastic improvement in my score."

Thank you!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Rewrite first sentence to sound less pompous.
I believe my second LSAT score is a better reflection of my abilities.

Remove the extraneous commas from either side of 'and' in the last sentence. Actually, just leave out the part about not being able to use a tutor or course--it's irrelevant. Plenty (maybe even most?) of the really high scorers did self-study.
Aside from that, seems ok.

elorica8

Postby elorica8 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:56 pm

Thanks, Rinkrat. I added in the tutors/course piece to kind of hint that I don't have money to spend on that kind of thing, which is echoed throughout my application materials, but I understand your criticism. Thanks again.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”