Advice needed, at a crossroads

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
3rdDan

Advice needed, at a crossroads

Postby 3rdDan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:41 pm

I know there are plenty of posts about retaking the LSAT and reapplying, but I need some outside perspective. I just got my LSAT score back and it did not go as planed.

I applied last cycle, but was unable to commit due to financial reasons. I understand that good scholarship offers comes from good LSAT scores, thus I needed to retake it if I wanted a shot at monies. My plan to apply outside of the November sweet spot this cycle, was based on increasing my LSAT score.

This was my third time taking the LSAT, 153/150, and now 150 (DEC). I made the decision to shoot for the DEC LSAT because I was not testing where I needed to be for October, which delayed my application materials.

Unfortunately, I am now in position where my LSAT did not go up, when it really needed to. It is now Jan and I feel it is late in the application cycle. I am not set only top-tier schools, but would like to get into a reputable school with scholarship money. Right now, I have to decide whether I should sit out the cycle, or apply in the next couple of days. Any perspective you all could provide would be appreciated.

Some background:
3.5 GPA from a top school in California
URM, First generation college grad
LSAT target 160

you'rethemannowdawg

Re: Advice needed, at a crossroads

Postby you'rethemannowdawg » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:53 pm

As a URM, there is absolutely no reason you should settle for that LSAT. You can definitely score a 160 if you study the right way, and if you do that puts you in the running for places like WashU, Emory, W&L and William & Mary. Get a 165 and you'll have a shot at T14.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:02 pm

I'm a little confused - you took the LSAT three times? 153->150->150?

If so, then I'm not sure what the protocol is for getting to take the LSAT again (can you still get schools to sponsor you?), but if you can, that should definitely be the move you make. Perhaps someone else will be able to shed some light on this. As well as finding a new approach to studying the LSAT (TLS has a bunch of awesome guides and the like in the LSAT forum I'd suggest you take a look at).

3rdDan

Postby 3rdDan » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:12 pm

Yes, I took it three times. I have to contact LSAC to confirm, but I should be able to take once more during 2013. My first score was back in Oct 2010.

I do need to consider my whole approach to the exam, because what I have tried so far was not worked.

Unoriginalist

Postby Unoriginalist » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

3rdDan wrote:Yes, I took it three times. I have to contact LSAC to confirm, but I should be able to take once more during 2013. My first score was back in Oct 2010.

I do need to consider my whole approach to the exam, because what I have tried so far was not worked.

Oh! Then I believe you should be good.

In which case, I would probably recommend you sit out this cycle, focus on bringing that score up (with a 170+ a LOT of doors will open up, especially for a URM), and reapply next year.

Good luck!

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:40 pm

3rdDan wrote:Yes, I took it three times. I have to contact LSAC to confirm, but I should be able to take once more during 2013. My first score was back in Oct 2010.

Yes, you need to visit the LSAT forum for advice on a new approach. Do not waste your next retake if you are not averaging several points above the score you need prior to taking the test. If you're not there as the test approaches, postpone or cancel before test day.

3rdDan

Postby 3rdDan » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:06 pm

Do you all know where is a good place to start, for a retaker? At this point I have gone through prep courses and studied on my own. Some have suggested Blue Print Online course.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”