Possible for LSAT score to be too high?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Loranth

Possible for LSAT score to be too high?

Postby Loranth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:50 pm

Someone told me that law schools may reject an applicant if they believe he or she is unlikely to attend, since it affects the law school's rankings when people who are admitted don't attend. My LSAT score and GPA are significantly higher than the medians of a school I'm interested in, but I'm worried that they'll wait-list or reject me because they'll think I'm likely to take a better offer. I hope they just give me a scholarship instead. Does anyone know if my fear is unfounded?

Re: Possible for LSAT score to be too high?

Postby 02889 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:53 pm

It's a legitimate concern. The best advice anyone will give you is to write all the supplemental essays you can, particularly whichever is in the style of a "Why this school?" essay, and try your hardest to make it sound genuine.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Why are you only interested in schools that are below what you are capable of attaining?

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:54 pm

Loranth wrote:Someone told me that law schools may reject an applicant if they believe he or she is unlikely to attend, since it affects the law school's rankings when people who are admitted don't attend. My LSAT score and GPA are significantly higher than the medians of a school I'm interested in, but I'm worried that they'll wait-list or reject me because they'll think I'm likely to take a better offer. I hope they just give me a scholarship instead. Does anyone know if my fear is unfounded?

It depends. Give us an example of the type of numbers you're talking about.

Although yeild protection has not been a truly common occurance, there have been some instances in which an applicant has been denied with both numbers being above median.

Loranth

Postby Loranth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:57 pm

I want to go to Brooklyn Law School and my LSAT score is 168.

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:59 pm

I would strongly encourage you to look at other NYC law schools, such as Fordham (just based off of your LSAT score), if you want to attain gainful employment after school. Brooklyn is behind a lot of other schools in the NYC pecking order. I know some people at Brooklyn Law right now and it is not pretty.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:35 pm

stillwater wrote:I would strongly encourage you to look at other NYC law schools, such as Fordham (just based off of your LSAT score), if you want to attain gainful employment after school. Brooklyn is behind a lot of other schools in the NYC pecking order. I know some people at Brooklyn Law right now and it is not pretty.

This.

If you feel comfortable, post more about yourself. We'll be able to help determine what schools you should be applying to. Like the above poster said, the outcome isn't good for a lot of BLS grads right now.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:37 pm

Loranth wrote:I want to go to Brooklyn Law School and my LSAT score is 168.

If you don't have to go to BLS it will be a blessing.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:39 pm

nmop_apisdn wrote:
stillwater wrote:I would strongly encourage you to look at other NYC law schools, such as Fordham (just based off of your LSAT score), if you want to attain gainful employment after school. Brooklyn is behind a lot of other schools in the NYC pecking order. I know some people at Brooklyn Law right now and it is not pretty.

This.

If you feel comfortable, post more about yourself. We'll be able to help determine what schools you should be applying to. Like the above poster said, the outcome isn't good for a lot of BLS grads right now.

+1

Loranth

Postby Loranth » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:46 pm

Okay Okay. My concern is that in October I got a 161 because I took the test sick. Fordham claims to average the scores, whereas Brooklyn doesn't, so I'm worried that my score will be too low for Fordham and too high for Brooklyn. But I'm probably just being paranoid.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Loranth wrote:Okay Okay. My concern is that in October I got a 161 because I took the test sick. Fordham claims to average the scores, whereas Brooklyn doesn't, so I'm worried that my score will be too low for Fordham and too high for Brooklyn. But I'm probably just being paranoid.

Fordham will not be averaging your scores.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:56 pm

Icculus wrote:
Loranth wrote:Okay Okay. My concern is that in October I got a 161 because I took the test sick. Fordham claims to average the scores, whereas Brooklyn doesn't, so I'm worried that my score will be too low for Fordham and too high for Brooklyn. But I'm probably just being paranoid.

Fordham will not be averaging your scores.

+1.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 pm

Yes you are. Even if Fordham averages the score, a 164.5 is just about at the median.

Also, averaging scores is a myth. While several schools claim to do so, circumstantial evidence indicates this is not the case.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 am

Law schools report the highest. This cycle especially, they will want to keep their medians at where they are. Don't worry about averaging. At all. Pretend you have a 168. Maybe 167.9 if you want to be safe.

Loranth

Postby Loranth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:08 am

Thanks guys, that's good to know. Still hoping Brooklyn offers a scholarship rather than rejecting me for a bogus reason.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:11 am

Last edited by wert3813 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:13 am

Loranth wrote:Thanks guys, that's good to know. Still hoping Brooklyn offers a scholarship rather than rejecting me for a bogus reason.

BLS would be doing you a favor.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”