Should I write an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pjy6355

Should I write an addendum?

Postby pjy6355 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:49 pm

Hi~ Hope you guys got good scores on Dec. LSAT.

After receiving the score in my e-mail, I was devastated and don't know what to do. :( I want to ask you some questions.

I took the December test, and it was my third one.

1st: 168/ 2nd: cancel /3rd: 163

I had to cancel the second test because I had had a bad stomach cramp the night before and couldn't focus on the test.

After pondering for many days, I decided to retake in December. (This cycle will probably be my first and last chance to apply to law school due to personal circumstances.)

After studying more, I was PTing around 173-176 and I felt confident about the test.

I already sent application to 4 law schools before the Dec. score came out and wrote an addendum explaining why I cancelled the 2nd test score.

I have been putting off applying to other law schools as I heard that schools did not look at your files until Dec. scores come out and felt quite confident about the Dec. test.

Now I have to apply to other schools fast and I want to know whether I should write an addendum for Dec. test.

I have done some searching and people say that it is okay and pointless to write an addendum if the difference is between 1-3. But the difference between my scores is 5.

Should I still write an addendum? And if I write one, what should I do about the addendum that I wrote about cancelling the test? (I think having 2 addenda about LSAT might be too much and look like I am giving too many excuses...)

It would be helpful if you could give me some advice or any opinion.

Thank you so much.

TripTrip

Re: Should I write an addendum?

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:55 pm

Do not write an addendum.

pjy6355

Postby pjy6355 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:33 pm

Thank you for the reply.

Do you mean the addendum for the Dec. one?

Or should I not write an addendum for LSAT scores at all?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:36 pm

No addendum period. You don't want to call attention to an LSAT point drop, especially where there really isn't a reason for it. If they want to know more about it, they will contact you.

On another note, you may want to check your item response sheet for errors if you scored that far out of your range.

chinchillin

Postby chinchillin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:39 pm

What do I/we make of schools that encourage applicants to write an addendum for scores that are ~5 points apart (increasing in my case)? That being said, school(s) say that they "don't want a list of excuses" and well, I only have a list of excuses...

joshhoward

Postby joshhoward » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:25 pm

chinchillin wrote:What do I/we make of schools that encourage applicants to write an addendum for scores that are ~5 points apart (increasing in my case)? That being said, school(s) say that they "don't want a list of excuses" and well, I only have a list of excuses...

i assume they are wary of "excuses" for drops (like OP) not increases. i personally wouldn't write anything for increasing, but if you feel you need to, just say you knew you could do better. 2 sentences max.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”