Will applications continue to decrease next year? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CFprez

New

Re: Will applications continue to decrease next year?

Post by CFprez » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Yeah it is puzzling. Those are the people who I think should apply to law school.... t6 is still a very good deal. Turning down case western is another matter. Maybe along with the advent of more transparent statistics came more information about how biglaw hiring is even worse than it used to be and that being a biglaw attorney is not the best mental health choice.

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:08 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote: The stupids who are thrilled to pull a 150 are still stupids who won't take the 30 seconds to google their 4th tier ****-hole of choice.

The loss of 175+ applicants is puzzling though. That's HYSCCN territory, and even in this economy, those are all great options even at sticker.
Let's not call people who didn't score well on a test stupids. You can act high and mighty now, but law school at sticker is probably not a great economic decision. Look at attrition for Big Law classes. It's the same mentality that says "I'll survive six years to pay off my loans" and "I can be in the top third of my class to get Big Law." The difference is that the poor logic comes into play a couple years later for students at the T6.

waters

New

Post by waters » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:11 am

RhymesLikeDimes wrote: The loss of 175+ applicants is puzzling though. That's HYSCCN territory, and even in this economy, those are all great options even at sticker.
I think few people go into the LSAT foreseeing or expecting 175+. For the vast majority, it takes time and a good deal of practice/work to get there. The discouraging news coverage and employment stats make the uncertainty and risk of this investment that much less appealing.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:16 pm

waters wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote: The loss of 175+ applicants is puzzling though. That's HYSCCN territory, and even in this economy, those are all great options even at sticker.
I think few people go into the LSAT foreseeing or expecting 175+. For the vast majority, it takes time and a good deal of practice/work to get there. The discouraging news coverage and employment stats make the uncertainty and risk of this investment that much less appealing.
Seeing how much LSAC and LSDAS suck out of the wallet, it amazes me that people spend that much and don't view it as a financial investment.

afitouri

New

Post by afitouri » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:11 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
Those numbers are somewhat misleading. 2.6% of test takers score between 170 and 180, while 40% score less than 149. Even a slight attrition at the top is going to look like a big deal, while the sheer volume at the low end insulates a big swing from happening. I still agree with the general point though. The stupids who are thrilled to pull a 150 are still stupids who won't take the 30 seconds to google their 4th tier ****-hole of choice.

The loss of 175+ applicants is puzzling though. That's HYSCCN territory, and even in this economy, those are all great options even at sticker.
Are you KIDDING me? You think $300,000 of interest-accruing debt is a "great option" when the median wage is only 80,000? Even if you send HALF of your wages to pay the debt you'll still be paying for 10 years, and all the while earning the same paycheck that a high-school dropout selling cars will be earning (40,000 a year).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WhatOurBodiesAreFor

Bronze

Post by WhatOurBodiesAreFor » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:47 pm

afitouri wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:
Those numbers are somewhat misleading. 2.6% of test takers score between 170 and 180, while 40% score less than 149. Even a slight attrition at the top is going to look like a big deal, while the sheer volume at the low end insulates a big swing from happening. I still agree with the general point though. The stupids who are thrilled to pull a 150 are still stupids who won't take the 30 seconds to google their 4th tier ****-hole of choice.

Are you KIDDING me? You think $300,000 of interest-accruing debt is a "great option" when the median wage is only 80,000? Even if you send HALF of your wages to pay the debt you'll still be paying for 10 years, and all the while earning the same paycheck that a high-school dropout selling cars will be earning (40,000 a year).
That and you'll have spent three years at a world-class institution and virtually no ceiling on your career possibilities.

I mean, if you are so concerned about money go get an MBA from a top 5 school or something. But if you hope to get more out of a T-6 legal education other than wealth, T-6 at sticker is almost always a good choice, particularly if your opportunity cost is low.

RhymesLikeDimes

Bronze

Post by RhymesLikeDimes » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:50 pm

Great was probably a stretch, but the median salary for all lawyers /= median starting salary for T6 grads.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:10 pm

afitouri wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:

don't see where you're getting 80k from bro

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... &show=sals

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=nyu&show=sals

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:37 pm

Crowing wrote:
afitouri wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:

According to those, even the bottom quarter of the class starts out at around $60K
I bet a lot of those "unemployable" graduates who passed the bar just are "too good" to take those jobs to work their way up the foodchain. With less than a 2% unemployment rate, any bar passers who are still unemployed after a few months must have either a mental block or smell like moldy cheese that was left under a heat lamp.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:02 pm

thelawdoctor wrote: According to those, even the bottom quarter of the class starts out at around $60K
I bet a lot of those "unemployable" graduates who passed the bar just are "too good" to take those jobs to work their way up the foodchain. With less than a 2% unemployment rate, any bar passers who are still unemployed after a few months must have either a mental block or smell like moldy cheese that was left under a heat lamp.
Legal jobs aren't necessarily a meritocracy. It's easier said than done to 'work your way up'. Also, you're going to be looking at more $40k jobs than $60k, and also a lot of those jobs are stains on a resume.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:08 pm

LRGhost wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote: According to those, even the bottom quarter of the class starts out at around $60K
Legal jobs aren't necessarily a meritocracy. It's easier said than done to 'work your way up'. Also, you're going to be looking at more $40k jobs than $60k, and also a lot of those jobs are stains on a resume.
nothing is a stain worse than a black hole

and I was talking about the stats given by the links

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:11 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
LRGhost wrote:

Before you start giving out more advice on legal hiring, please state your credentials. TYIA

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:14 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
LRGhost wrote:

Your first point isn't credited. You can explain away gaps though it may be tough. You can't explain away bad jobs. But honestly, neither situation is preferable. Nevertheless, you're still wrong about 'working your way up' and people feeling entitled or whatever.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:15 pm

LRGhost wrote: Your first point isn't credited. You can explain away gaps though it may be tough. You can't explain away bad jobs. But honestly, neither situation is preferable. Nevertheless, you're still wrong about 'working your way up' and people feeling entitled or whatever.
Based on his prior posts, this is either a troll, an idiot, or both.

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:21 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
LRGhost wrote: Your first point isn't credited. You can explain away gaps though it may be tough. You can't explain away bad jobs. But honestly, neither situation is preferable. Nevertheless, you're still wrong about 'working your way up' and people feeling entitled or whatever.
Anyone with over 10K posts has no real world time to talk about
I'll ask you when I need to know what is on Hulu k?

Have you even take the lsat yet kid?

LRGhost

Gold

Post by LRGhost » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:23 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

165ish but you could have done better if you didn't give it up so soon.

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 pm

thelawdoctor wrote: Anyone with over 10K posts has no real world time to talk about

i like how you edited this post twice and still only ended up with the sort of diss i haven't heard people use since middle school. quoting this clown post for preservation purposes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:27 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Wow, you sure showed me.

shntn

Platinum

Post by shntn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:02 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Wow, you sure showed me.
STFU, you non-LSAT-taking 0L.

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Can we fucking stop trolling the On-Topics, please?

Edit: Unless it's a really good troll. Too much weak shit lately.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:46 pm

thelawdoctor wrote:
Crowing wrote:
afitouri wrote:
RhymesLikeDimes wrote:

According to those, even the bottom quarter of the class starts out at around $60K
LOL

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thelawdoctor

Bronze

Post by thelawdoctor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:15 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
thelawdoctor wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

Wow, you sure showed me.
awsome comeback there winner

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”