February Retake, Already Applied To Schools

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Should I retake in February or in June?

February
25%
June
75%
Never
No votes

Total votes: 20

Evilalterego

February Retake, Already Applied To Schools

Postby Evilalterego » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

A friend told me about this forum, and now I'm here for advice:) I got a 161 in the June exam with not much preparation. I decided to resit in October, and was consistently PTing at 168. I got sick during the week of the test and ended up with a 158. I sent in my apps anyway, and I'm in at two schools, but with not much scholarship aid. I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools. Would taking the February LSAT put me at a disadvantage due to rolling admissions? Would it be better to wait until June to retake and use the higher score (I hope!) then to renegotiate my current offers/get off waitlists etc?

Further information: URM female, 3.39 GPA from a top ten undergrad.

Thanks.

TripTrip

Re: February Retake, Already Applied To Schools

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Evilalterego wrote:I got a 161 in the June exam with not much preparation.

Evilalterego wrote:URM female, 3.39 GPA

Retake and reapply next cycle with a 170+ and enjoy HYS.

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:30 pm

One month isn't long enough to prep adequately for the LSAT. Give yourself until June and crush the test. Good luck next cycle!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:33 pm

cahwc12 wrote:Give yourself until June and crush the test. Good luck next cycle!

Just to clarify, OP's "June" option is meant to refer to using that score for THIS cycle. OP, don't do that. Forget this year, apply next year.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:37 pm

cahwc12 wrote: For many, one month isn't long enough to prep adequately for the LSAT. Give yourself until June and crush the test. Good luck next cycle!

+1

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 pm

Study until June, retake then. Not even a question.

Evilalterego

Postby Evilalterego » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:38 pm

TripTrip wrote:

I really want a shot at starting in Fall 2013 (I'm old. I'm 29). Bearing in mind that it was my illness that threw me off during the last exam, so I'd probably be able to score around 168 for the next exam, which would you propose is better for getting in with aid this cycle: February or June?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Evilalterego wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

I really want a shot at starting in Fall 2013 (I'm old. I'm 29). Bearing in mind that it was my illness that threw me off during the last exam, so I'd probably be able to score around 168 for the next exam, which would you propose is better for getting in with aid this cycle: February or June?

If that's REALLY what you are going to do, February. If you can get 168, that's the time to get it. June isn't much help for this cycle.

bluepenguin

Postby bluepenguin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Retaking in February would put you at a disadvantage due to rolling admissions, though with a weak cycle such as this it probably won't affect you too adversely. That said, it's relative madness.

I appreciate you're getting older (aren't we all... *sigh*), but holy crap. Study until June, retake then and apply in September. You'll get into better schools with better job prospects with better financial aid than you would get from lesser schools this cycle. It's just a year. I know it feels like sunk costs but it'll be worth it in the end.

Evilalterego

Postby Evilalterego » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:04 pm

bluepenguin wrote:Retaking in February would put you at a disadvantage due to rolling admissions, though with a weak cycle such as this it probably won't affect you too adversely. That said, it's relative madness.

I appreciate you're getting older (aren't we all... *sigh*), but holy crap. Study until June, retake then and apply in September. You'll get into better schools with better job prospects with better financial aid than you would get from lesser schools this cycle. It's just a year. I know it feels like sunk costs but it'll be worth it in the end.

Okay, I think I'll shoot for June after all. In the end, I'll still have the opportunity to either negotiate scholarships or decide to wait a year. I'll most likely have a better score since I won't have to frantically cancel all my January plans to make room for studying. Thanks for helping me to brainstorm everyone!!

Postby 20141023 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 am

kappycaft1 wrote:I am not saying that it isn't possible, but rather that it just isn't likely that the OP will get into any of these 3 unless she gets a high-170s LSAT score, and even then it's a 50/50.

That is fair. However, anything beats paying sticker at the lower T1, which is what it sounds like OP would be doing.

For the record, OP, you're not old. You don't even qualify for the old school applicants thread yet.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 am

Since you were PTing around the 96th percentile, it would be a shame to go to law school with a score around the 80th percentile.

IMO, You should take the test in June and apply early next cycle if you bump your score significantly. Getting into a much better school or getting a big scholarship at the schools you already have a shot at right now is worth waiting a year.

A June retake could also get you off the WL and more scholarships this cycle. It would also put you in a good position to know whether you should matriculate or wait.

Evilalterego

Postby Evilalterego » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:59 am

Thanks everyone!

I'll qualify for the old school thread in a year!

cahwc12

Postby cahwc12 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am

Evilalterego wrote:Thanks everyone!

Congrats on your great decision and good luck next cycle and with your June LSAT!

Evilalterego

Postby Evilalterego » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:07 am

cahwc12 wrote:
Evilalterego wrote:Thanks everyone!

Congrats on your great decision and good luck next cycle and with your June LSAT!

:)

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”