Are cheap ways to boost GPA looked down on?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ihill

Are cheap ways to boost GPA looked down on?

Postby ihill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:11 pm

About me:
I started out college as an engineering major at a very difficult school, not realizing that proficiency in high school math and science means nothing in college. As a result I now have a sub 3.0 lsac GPA. It is climbing pretty quickly and will be over 3.0 after next semester as I have changed my course of study to a major which better suits my strengths. By the time I graduate, I will probably have about a 3.2 or 3.3 which is not good enough for my target law schools i.e. T-14 or good regionally placing T1 school.

I'm thinking about adding an extra course a semester (I have 3 left) and 4-6 classes over 2 summers (I can delay the completion of my major until the summer after commencement). I'd like to do some of these at community college. Would this be looked down on as a cheap way to increase my GPA or is the common tls wisdom correct in that law schools don't really care about transcripts?

Br3v

Re: Are cheap ways to boost GPA looked down on?

Postby Br3v » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:12 pm

ihill wrote:About me:
I started out college as an engineering major at a very difficult school, not realizing that proficiency in high school math and science means nothing in college. As a result I now have a sub 3.0 lsac GPA. It is climbing pretty quickly and will be over 3.0 after next semester as I have changed my course of study to a major which better suits my strengths. By the time I graduate, I will probably have about a 3.2 or 3.3 which is not good enough for my target law schools i.e. T-14 or good regionally placing T1 school.

I'm thinking about adding an extra course a semester (I have 3 left) and 4-6 classes over 2 summers (I can delay the completion of my major until the summer after commencement). I'd like to do some of these at community college. Would this be looked down on as a cheap way to increase my GPA or is the common tls wisdom correct in that law schools don't really care about transcripts?

Lots of people do this, it's ok. And regardless you can get t14 with a 3.2/3

EvilClinton

Postby EvilClinton » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:19 pm

It isn't looked down upon at most schools. I got into most of the t14 with a CC on my transcripts.

dowu

Postby dowu » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:29 pm

No. Law schools don't give a shit.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm

You're asking TLS this? :lol:

But yeah, we're right. Law schools don't care where your GPA comes from since it's not counted in the ranking methodology.

ihill

Postby ihill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:01 pm

Br3v wrote:

I'm assuming I'll need to get a 170+ on my LSAT though, right?

ihill

Postby ihill » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Suralin wrote:

You're asking TLS this? :lol:

But yeah, we're right. Law schools don't care where your GPA comes from since it's not counted in the ranking methodology.

Hahaha duhhhh....Meant to say: "is my understanding of the common wisdom correct?"

patentlybored

Postby patentlybored » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:45 pm

ihill wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Yes, and with the low gpa you wont have a shot at significant scholarships in the t14, so raising your gpa is a good plan either way

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:46 pm

ihill wrote:
Br3v wrote:

Pretty much

http://myLSN.info/397jwb 170-173/3.0-3.3

http://myLSN.info/sm5txj 165-169/3.0-3.3

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”