Applying mid-January... Am I shooting myself in the foot?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fearlessly

Applying mid-January... Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Postby fearlessly » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:05 am

I was originally planning on submitting my applications in mid or late-December, allowing for the LSAT (which I took December this year) to be added in a bit late, but due to some complications with my transcripts, I'm not going to be able to put together the majority of my application packet until the middle of January. Transcripts have gone out, but haven't yet been processed by LSAC - I'm also still waiting on one of my four recommenders to send in his LOR. Beyond that, my résumé and personal statement are set, my applications are more or less complete, just waiting on the portfolio really, which I can't imagine will be done until mid-January unless they breeze through my transcripts.

I have a 3.8 GPA and am expecting to score somewhere between 160 and 165 on the LSAT, plenty of softs and an "URM" (Hispanic, but not Puerto Rican or anything that actually counts as an URM, as far as I understand...). The only schools I'm applying to that hit deadlines before March 1 are Berkeley (Feb 1) and Northwestern (Feb 15). Berkeley is my big reach, but number 1 on my list... I know they go on rolling, I'm almost contemplating studying more and re-taking in June then re-applying next year to enter 2014. Is it worth it to apply to Berkeley/Northwestern (or any others), assuming the applications won't be sent until mid-January?

Thanks in advance for the replies. I've been lurking here forever, finally have an account created.

Nova

Re: Applying mid-January... Am I shooting myself in the foot?

Postby Nova » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:30 am

Its not too late. Apply ASAP and see what happens.

If your cycle doesnt shake out, retake in June and reapply early next cycle.

fearlessly

Postby fearlessly » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:34 am

Nova

Postby Nova » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:39 am

Good luck!!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”