Adcomms running google searches on you?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby Lear22 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:17 am

I was wondering this lately. Do schools really go and run searches on applicants? This seems so time consuming. Does this really happen when the avg schools gets thousands of apps in a given cycle? Same goes for Facebook searching applicants.

Any thoughts or info on this?
Thanks!

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:23 am

Lear22 wrote:I was wondering this lately. Do schools really go and run searches on applicants? This seems so time consuming. Does this really happen when the avg schools gets thousands of apps in a given cycle? Same goes for Facebook searching applicants.

Any thoughts or info on this?
Thanks!

my guess is, only if they have a reason to (claiming major accolades, recognizable name, C&F issue, etc.)

Then again, if they're bored, they might just type in the name of the person at the top of the pile

(also keep in mind that a huge chunk of applications are discarded sight unseen because of bad numbers)

User avatar
atcushman
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:31 am

What might they find?

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby Lear22 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:35 am

dingbat wrote:
Lear22 wrote:I was wondering this lately. Do schools really go and run searches on applicants? This seems so time consuming. Does this really happen when the avg schools gets thousands of apps in a given cycle? Same goes for Facebook searching applicants.

Any thoughts or info on this?
Thanks!

my guess is, only if they have a reason to (claiming major accolades, recognizable name, C&F issue, etc.)

Then again, if they're bored, they might just type in the name of the person at the top of the pile

(also keep in mind that a huge chunk of applications are discarded sight unseen because of bad numbers)


That is sad by itself. Esp when all the schools pride themselves for looking at applicants holistically.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby Lear22 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:36 am

atcushman wrote:What might they find?


Most likely nothing interesting. Therefore my initial post. Why do that or fun a fb search on people? Plus why would they even have time for that?

User avatar
atcushman
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:36 am

Lear22 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Lear22 wrote:I was wondering this lately. Do schools really go and run searches on applicants? This seems so time consuming. Does this really happen when the avg schools gets thousands of apps in a given cycle? Same goes for Facebook searching applicants.

Any thoughts or info on this?
Thanks!

my guess is, only if they have a reason to (claiming major accolades, recognizable name, C&F issue, etc.)

Then again, if they're bored, they might just type in the name of the person at the top of the pile

(also keep in mind that a huge chunk of applications are discarded sight unseen because of bad numbers)


That is sad by itself. Esp when all the schools pride themselves for looking at applicants holistically.


IRL LOL

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13915
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:39 am

Lear22 wrote:
dingbat wrote:
Lear22 wrote:I was wondering this lately. Do schools really go and run searches on applicants? This seems so time consuming. Does this really happen when the avg schools gets thousands of apps in a given cycle? Same goes for Facebook searching applicants.

Any thoughts or info on this?
Thanks!

my guess is, only if they have a reason to (claiming major accolades, recognizable name, C&F issue, etc.)

Then again, if they're bored, they might just type in the name of the person at the top of the pile

(also keep in mind that a huge chunk of applications are discarded sight unseen because of bad numbers)


That is sad by itself. Esp when all the schools pride themselves for looking at applicants holistically.
USNWR doesn't include "number of special snowflakes" in the rankings calculation.

User avatar
atcushman
Posts: 389
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:08 pm

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby atcushman » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 am

just double check your security settings and changer your profile name during the cycle, I have heard of adcoms doing what dingbat said and also checkin linkedin...if you are concerned...whats your name ill google it and tell you if there is anything you should be worried about

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:46 am

just don't have anything online that you'd be embarrassed about. Don't have compromising pictures and bacchanalian posts all over your facebook. And do not use your real name if you're gonna star in a porno!

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby Lear22 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:47 am

atcushman wrote:just double check your security settings and changer your profile name during the cycle, I have heard of adcoms doing what dingbat said and also checkin linkedin...if you are concerned...whats your name ill google it and tell you if there is anything you should be worried about


I changed my fb name and my fb address (fb.com/whatever). I actually don't mind if they go into my LinkedIn. It's updated and shows exactly the same info as I put on my LS app resume.

Thanks for the offer. I did that and a friend did that for me. There's nothing to worry about my just wondering if looking up applicants on google and fb is something that actually happens.

Edit: my fb name is now my name in Hebrew alphabet. I wonder how many adcomms have Hebrew installed on their computers to try and search for me :roll:
Last edited by Lear22 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lear22
Posts: 275
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:17 am

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby Lear22 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:49 am

dingbat wrote:just don't have anything online that you'd be embarrassed about. Don't have compromising pictures and bacchanalian posts all over your facebook. And do not use your real name if you're gonna star in a porno!


LOL my thoughts exactly!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby TripTrip » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:51 am

dingbat wrote:And do not use your real name if you're gonna star in a porno!
Unless you're hot.

User avatar
dingbat
Posts: 4976
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby dingbat » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:57 am

TripTrip wrote:
dingbat wrote:And do not use your real name if you're gonna star in a porno!
Unless you're hot.

in which case you should probably just skip law school

User avatar
suralin
better than you
Posts: 15035
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:52 am

Re: Adcomms running google searches on you?

Postby suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:18 am

Lear22 wrote:That is sad by itself. Esp when all the schools pride themselves for looking at applicants holistically.


LOL




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 4 guests