Diversity Statement- Should I?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
aanzola

Diversity Statement- Should I?

Postby aanzola » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:19 pm

Aside from the resume' and the personal statement, I'm wondering if I should bother with a diversity statement. I'm self selecting myself as a URM, but I am wondering whether I am too Americanized to write a diversity statement. I was born in America but raised in Colombia as a kid. I transitioned to America fairly quickly. My English is great to boot. I can write a ton about how my parents have struggled in this country and I have had to help them, but not sure that's MY diversity experience.

Are DS's mostly reserved for those who have lived in foreign countries for large portion in their life or who have surrounded themselves by foreign communities while in America?

epiphinous7

Re: Diversity Statement- Should I?

Postby epiphinous7 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:47 pm

Sounds like a no.

Postby 02889 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:30 pm

I disagree with the poster above. If your childhood in Colombia or upbringing by Colombian parents has in any way influenced how you view society, the law, your career prospects, etc, then that's great material for a diversity statement. You don't necessarily have to have overcome something in order to write a DS. A statement about your binational upbringing and how that has affected your views or perspective is totally valid.

PickMe!

Postby PickMe! » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:32 pm

02889 wrote:I disagree with the poster above. If your childhood in Colombia or upbringing by Colombian parents has in any way influenced how you view society, the law, your career prospects, etc, then that's great material for a diversity statement. You don't necessarily have to have overcome something in order to write a DS. A statement about your binational upbringing and how that has affected your views or perspective is totally valid.

+1

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:46 pm

^Agree.

The diversity statement will be meaningless if you are just going to state your ethnic heritage in a paragraph. You've already reported that on the law school application.

If you've had significant struggled that you've overcome, very specific lessons you have learned from the Colombian community, a history of service to the Colombian people, a trip to you country of origin to rediscover your roots, etc., then I would consider writing it. Just make sure it is not just a statement of your ethnicity, and will not be redundant and/or gratuitous.

aanzola

Postby aanzola » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:15 pm

Thanks guys!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”