What GPA warrants an addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
perplexedconfused

What GPA warrants an addendum?

Postby perplexedconfused » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi all,

I am sure this question is all over the forum, but I have not come across it yet. I just looked at my transcripts on LSAC and it shows a 3.15 GPA. I was a little surprised (didn't think it was this low), but it does show a consistent upward trend (2.50 first semester, 4.00 last semester). Does this warrant an addendum to explain my low freshman year GPA?

Thank you to anyone who replies; any input is greatly appreciated!

eerie_erie

Re: What GPA warrants an addendum?

Postby eerie_erie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:19 pm

I think you might want to rephrase the question to: what situations warrant an addendum? These things are always tricky. I think the upward trend is self-evident, but it might not be a bad idea if there was an extenuating circumstance in first year caused you to get such a low grade. I think as long as you stick to the facts and not put in too much opinion/commentary, the addendum can only help you, not hurt you. Try to find a few trusted people and run the addendum by them to see if it is a reasonable explanation of your grades. I personally wouldn't post the content of such sensitive information online.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:20 am

eerie_erie wrote:the addendum can only help you, not hurt you.
That's not true.

However, OP, if a you have a good reason for getting a 2.5 your first semester, that might warrant an addendum.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:26 am

There has to be a good reason for the addendum.

The most typical reason, "I was immature as a freshman", is not a good reason.

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:28 am

I would like to second the idea that it's not that below a certain number warrants an addendum, but that a situation might. If the GPA is low just because you were irresponsible and didn't go to class freshman year, I would advise against an addendum. But if it was low because of an illness, clinical depression, substance abuse problem, death of a family member, etc., I would say write an addendum.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”