Accepted ED with second thoughts: sticker price or reapply?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hattrick87

Accepted ED with second thoughts: sticker price or reapply?

Postby hattrick87 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:18 pm

Seeking some advice, TLS.

I was accepted Early Decision to UCLA, but I'm having second thoughts about going anywhere sticker price, especially because I'm strongly considering public interest law. My numbers are 3.65 (at top 10 UG), 169, 3 years working at a law firm.

I'm considering retaking the LSAT in February (with only 1 month of studying...?) and depending on my score, reapplying next year (not early). However, if UCLA is still my top choice school, will I terribly offend them if I don't matriculate this fall?

smaug_

Re: Accepted ED with second thoughts: sticker price or reapply?

Postby smaug_ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:21 pm

hattrick87 wrote:Seeking some advice, TLS.

I was accepted Early Decision to UCLA, but I'm having second thoughts about going anywhere sticker price, especially because I'm strongly considering public interest law. My numbers are 3.65 (at top 10 UG), 169, 3 years working at a law firm.

I'm considering retaking the LSAT in February (with only 1 month of studying...?) and depending on my score, reapplying next year (not early). However, if UCLA is still my top choice school, will I terribly offend them if I don't matriculate this fall?

Don't attend. Retake (I'd do June/October) and prosper. Aim for money from a better school.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:33 pm

Why take Feb if you are sitting out a cycle?

hattrick87

Postby hattrick87 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 pm

IAFG wrote:Why take Feb if you are sitting out a cycle?

I'm not set on sitting out the cycle. If I do well in February I can sit out; if I do poorly or not as well I can still matriculate.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:44 pm

hattrick87 wrote:
IAFG wrote:Why take Feb if you are sitting out a cycle?

I'm not set on sitting out the cycle. If I do well in February I can sit out; if I do poorly or not as well I can still matriculate.

You can sit out after the June administration too though right? When is UCLA seat deposit due?

hattrick87

Postby hattrick87 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:53 pm

The deadline for the Statement of Intent to Register is May 1, which is also the First Seat Deposit. The Second Seat Deposit is June 14. I'm not sure what the difference is.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:34 pm

hattrick87 wrote:The deadline for the Statement of Intent to Register is May 1, which is also the First Seat Deposit. The Second Seat Deposit is June 14. I'm not sure what the difference is.

either way, you won't know your score until after both deadlines.

Postby 2014 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:42 pm

February makes sense depending on how much their seat deposits are and whether they are cost prohibitive for you. The statement of intent to enroll is pointless, don't feel like you can't change plans in June/July, but you will be out the seat deposit.

I would definitely retake though, and at the very least in April send them a nice email that requests scholarship aid. It's not unheard of for schools to throw EDers a small scholly.

hattrick87

Postby hattrick87 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:06 pm

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts.

My only concern is that if I pay the seat deposit (I'm okay losing the $500, considering $200k debt > $500) and still end up backing out last minute that might piss off AdCom and have detrimental effects on my reapplication. I still really like UCLA, I just don't want to pay sticker.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”