Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:46 pm

Just..everything about it..makes me think it's not a good idea at the time. The debt, the misery of law school, the pressure of being expected to find a good job after your first year (makes the other two years seem almost pointless, no? Am I the only one that thinks this way?), the difficulty of finding a job..It sounds too stressful for me. I am now going to get a minor in Computer Science and apply to the grad program at my undergrad. I love computers and would love to learn to program. It might not work out lol but whatever, law school is scary lol

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby dr123 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:48 pm

okay?

jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:49 pm

Well I posted here 130 times and have been visiting this place constantly for the past 2 years. Felt like I needed some closure, so here, closure.

User avatar
Scotchandsoda
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:09 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby Scotchandsoda » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Cool

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby manofjustice » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:50 pm

Bye...good luck.

User avatar
stillwater
Posts: 3811
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby stillwater » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:51 pm

in tribute to your post... LOL

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:53 pm

jonjon1324 wrote:Just..everything about it..makes me think it's not a good idea at the time. The debt, the misery of law school, the pressure of being expected to find a good job after your first year (makes the other two years seem almost pointless, no? Am I the only one that thinks this way?), the difficulty of finding a job..It sounds too stressful for me. I am now going to get a minor in Computer Science and apply to the grad program at my undergrad. I love computers and would love to learn to program. It might not work out lol but whatever, law school is scary lol

1. Just ask your parents for money if you're so worried about debt
2. Law school is fun
3. You don't need a good job after 1l
4. You realize that all your concerns still apply to grad school CS right?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Good luck

jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:55 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
jonjon1324 wrote:Just..everything about it..makes me think it's not a good idea at the time. The debt, the misery of law school, the pressure of being expected to find a good job after your first year (makes the other two years seem almost pointless, no? Am I the only one that thinks this way?), the difficulty of finding a job..It sounds too stressful for me. I am now going to get a minor in Computer Science and apply to the grad program at my undergrad. I love computers and would love to learn to program. It might not work out lol but whatever, law school is scary lol

1. Just ask your parents for money if you're so worried about debt
2. Law school is fun
3. You don't need a good job after 1l
4. You realize that all your concerns still apply to grad school CS right?



My parents make 20,000$ a year lol
The grad program is 30 credits, so I can't imagine it being ANYWHERE near as expensive, and by all accounts, computer science degrees are more likely to give people jobs. I've also read that simply having programming experience without a degree can help you get jobs. I also enjoy computers, so why not?

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:56 pm

Word. Please vote for me for most helpful tlser on the 31st

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1750
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:57 pm

Good luck fellow October study thread dude. I couldn't imagine investing so much time towards something and then not following through with it but that' s just me.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:07 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Good luck fellow October study thread dude. I couldn't imagine investing so much time towards something and then not following through with it but that' s just me.

http://www.skepdic.com/sunkcost.html

--LinkRemoved--

jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm

Honestly, putting myself into crushing amounts of debt at age 21 just doesn't seem like the best idea. I want to have other options.

jlx
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby jlx » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:08 pm

you're still young. not a big deal.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby dr123 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:10 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:Good luck fellow October study thread dude. I couldn't imagine investing so much time towards something and then not following through with it but that' s just me.


Studying for and taking a test isn't that much of an investment

jonjon1324
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby jonjon1324 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Nova wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Good luck fellow October study thread dude. I couldn't imagine investing so much time towards something and then not following through with it but that' s just me.

http://www.skepdic.com/sunkcost.html

--LinkRemoved--



Is this like when I spend an hour looking for the remote and it's nowhere to be seen but I'm so annoyed by the fact that I already spent an hour looking for it that I continue looking for it?

User avatar
dowu
Posts: 8334
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby dowu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:15 pm

Good move OP. I'm in the same boat, albeit, I applied to law school and am waiting.

elblufer
Posts: 245
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:53 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby elblufer » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Best of luck! Right now, this isn't a good career to go into unless you REALLY like law, so, best of luck. There are a lot of good coding jobs out there.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby Nova » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:20 pm

jonjon1324 wrote:
Nova wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Good luck fellow October study thread dude. I couldn't imagine investing so much time towards something and then not following through with it but that' s just me.

http://www.skepdic.com/sunkcost.html

--LinkRemoved--



Is this like when I spend an hour looking for the remote and it's nowhere to be seen but I'm so annoyed by the fact that I already spent an hour looking for it that I continue looking for it?


lol, exactly.

senorhosh
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:45 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby senorhosh » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:24 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
jonjon1324 wrote:Just..everything about it..makes me think it's not a good idea at the time. The debt, the misery of law school, the pressure of being expected to find a good job after your first year (makes the other two years seem almost pointless, no? Am I the only one that thinks this way?), the difficulty of finding a job..It sounds too stressful for me. I am now going to get a minor in Computer Science and apply to the grad program at my undergrad. I love computers and would love to learn to program. It might not work out lol but whatever, law school is scary lol

1. Just ask your parents for money if you're so worried about debt
2. Law school is fun
3. You don't need a good job after 1l
4. You realize that all your concerns still apply to grad school CS right?


Lol
Not sure if serious...

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:25 pm

Nova wrote:
jonjon1324 wrote:
Nova wrote:
CardozoLaw09 wrote:Good luck fellow October study thread dude. I couldn't imagine investing so much time towards something and then not following through with it but that' s just me.

http://www.skepdic.com/sunkcost.html

--LinkRemoved--



Is this like when I spend an hour looking for the remote and it's nowhere to be seen but I'm so annoyed by the fact that I already spent an hour looking for it that I continue looking for it?


lol, exactly.

No since you're probably closer to finding it than when you began and your motivation for looking is driven by your initial desire to find it and not merely a feeling of commitment

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby laxbrah420 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:26 pm

senorhosh wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:
jonjon1324 wrote:Just..everything about it..makes me think it's not a good idea at the time. The debt, the misery of law school, the pressure of being expected to find a good job after your first year (makes the other two years seem almost pointless, no? Am I the only one that thinks this way?), the difficulty of finding a job..It sounds too stressful for me. I am now going to get a minor in Computer Science and apply to the grad program at my undergrad. I love computers and would love to learn to program. It might not work out lol but whatever, law school is scary lol

1. Just ask your parents for money if you're so worried about debt
2. Law school is fun
3. You don't need a good job after 1l
4. You realize that all your concerns still apply to grad school CS right?


Lol
Not sure if serious...

If his parents only make 20k then obviously not #1. But the rest is true

User avatar
Blessedassurance
Posts: 2081
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby Blessedassurance » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:29 pm

Good decision. Never look back.

Even if you change your mind four years down the road, law school will still be around. You get to eat your cake and have it too.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby spleenworship » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Good decision. Never look back.

Even if you change your mind four years down the road, law school will still be around. You get to eat your cake and have it too.

User avatar
b123
Posts: 183
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: Yeah..I don't think I want law school anymore

Postby b123 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:18 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:Good decision. Never look back.

Even if you change your mind four years down the road, law school will still be around. You get to eat your cake and have it too.



This. Good luck, it'll always be there.


Also, relevant clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWNja7skJ2Q




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: isuggestbedtime and 9 guests