Advice Would be Appreciated

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cause8191

Advice Would be Appreciated

Postby cause8191 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:40 am

I am planning on finishing my undergrad a year early, which would make my graduation year 2014. I would like to apply to T6 law schools next fall for 2014 admissions. I won't have a degree, and I would only have two full years of college done with. I would have about 3/4 of the credits I need for a BA degree. Should I be aiming for admission to a T6 school for 2014?

dingbat

Re: Advice Would be Appreciated

Postby dingbat » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:03 am

cause8191 wrote:I am planning on finishing my undergrad a year early, which would make my graduation year 2014. I would like to apply to T6 law schools next fall for 2014 admissions. I won't have a degree, and I would only have two full years of college done with. I would have about 3/4 of the credits I need for a BA degree. Should I be aiming for admission to a T6 school for 2014?

If you want to get into a T6, you should only focus on 2 things: having a GPA of at least 3.6 (prefereably 3.8+) and an LSAT score of at least 167, but more like 170+

cause8191

Postby cause8191 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:51 pm

So you are saying that admissions counselors won't care that I am a 20 year old kid that sped through college and has median numbers, as long as my numbers are competitive?

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:54 pm

cause8191 wrote:
If you want to get into a T6, you should only focus on 2 things: having a GPA of at least 3.6 (prefereably 3.8+) and an LSAT score of at least 167, but more like 170+

So you are saying that admissions counselors won't care that I am a 20 year old kid that sped through college and has median numbers, as long as my numbers are competitive?

Yes.

cause8191

Postby cause8191 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 pm

That's really interesting. I can say right now that just last year I was in high school, and in a few days I can say that next year I might be in law school.

(Sorry for messing up the quote thing.)

ruralaw

Postby ruralaw » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:12 pm

cause8191 wrote:So you are saying that admissions counselors won't care that I am a 20 year old kid that sped through college and has median numbers, as long as my numbers are competitive?

I am in a similar situation; I am 20yrs old and will be graduating this spring with my BS. Took my LSATs last June and currently applying to start fall 2013. I doubt if this would hold you back. If anything it is impressive that you worked hard to get ahead. So far it has not given my any problems, but I will let you know if that changes.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
cause8191 wrote:

Yes.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:05 pm

spleenworship wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:
cause8191 wrote:

Yes.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:15 pm

If you have the adequate LSAT and GPA, as the other posters mentioned, the schools are unlikely to give much weight to your age.

However, you may want to consider if going straight through at such a young age is something you want to do. Maybe taking a year or two off to gain work experience (and some general real-life experience) might make the law school experience more manageable. Additionally, I know that when it comes time to hire that being young can sometimes be a disadvantage. Just a few things to consider.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:16 pm

ruralaw wrote:
cause8191 wrote:So you are saying that admissions counselors won't care that I am a 20 year old kid that sped through college and has median numbers, as long as my numbers are competitive?

I am in a similar situation; I am 20yrs old and will be graduating this spring with my BS. Took my LSATs last June and currently applying to start fall 2013. I doubt if this would hold you back. If anything it is impressive that you worked hard to get ahead. So far it has not given my any problems, but I will let you know if that changes.

While it may not hinder you in getting into law school, when you apply for jobs employers will probably be skeptical about how young you are. Why do you two want to rush into law school so quickly? I would recommend taking a year or two off to get some real life experience.

Scooped.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Icculus wrote:While it may not hinder you in getting into law school, when you apply for jobs employers will probably be skeptical about how young you are. Why do you two want to rush into law school so quickly? I would recommend taking a year or two off to get some real life experience.

I graduated at 20 years old and to be honest nobody interviewing me even commented on my age. I don't think they even looked at what year I graduated from high school.

Get work experience though. I am so glad I didn't go to law school at 20 years old.

Icculus

Postby Icculus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm

francesfarmer wrote:
Icculus wrote:While it may not hinder you in getting into law school, when you apply for jobs employers will probably be skeptical about how young you are. Why do you two want to rush into law school so quickly? I would recommend taking a year or two off to get some real life experience.

I graduated at 20 years old and to be honest nobody interviewing me even commented on my age. I don't think they even looked at what year I graduated from high school.

Get work experience though. I am so glad I didn't go to law school at 20 years old.

I'm specifically talking about OCI. I think a K-JD who is 20/21 during OCI is going to have to really prove maturity for a firm job.

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:48 pm

Icculus wrote:
francesfarmer wrote:

I'm specifically talking about OCI. I think a K-JD who is 20/21 during OCI is going to have to really prove maturity for a firm job.

Oh you're right, misread. The prospect of being a 21 year old or possibly hiring one during OCI seems horrifying.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:07 pm

College years are the best years of your life though. If I could do it over again I would have taken 7 or 8 years.

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 pm

Tom Joad wrote:College years are the best years of your life though. If I could do it over again I would have taken 7 or 8 years.

Samesies. Why the fuck not.

Captain Hammer

Postby Captain Hammer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:20 pm

Icculus wrote:I'm specifically talking about OCI. I think a K-JD who is 20/21 during OCI is going to have to really prove maturity for a firm job.

This. It's already the case that employers often favor people with post-graduation work experience over those who go straight through to law school. Add to that someone who's graduating early? You're going to face a real uphill climb.

If your goal is to find a job (and if it's not, you shouldn't be going to law school) then you would do better to work for a couple of years first. Getting into a top school isn't the hardest part these days, it's finding a job you actually want, and getting even 1-2 years of work experience could help you there significantly.

potterpirate04

Postby potterpirate04 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Just seconding what everyone has already said. Yes they'd take you if you had great numbers because the age wouldn't be a problem getting into law school but it might be a problem getting a job afterwards. Yeah you might wanna look into getting a serious job for a year or two before applying, for the sake of your career afterwards.

epiphinous7

Postby epiphinous7 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Question: Why the hell do you want to go to law school at 20 years old?!

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:54 pm

epiphinous7 wrote:Question: Why the hell do you does anyone want to go to law school at 20 years old?!

FTFM

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”