Admissions Advising Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dingbat

Gold

Re: Admissions Advising

Post by dingbat » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:01 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:OP, I don't understand the point of this? How will you make money?

Here's my situation:

I go to SUNY Cortland. I've studied economics and have a 3.1 GPA. I have a job lined up next year as a temp at a corporate real estate office that will pay me $18/hour. My parents will pay for 50% of my law school or $50k, whichever is more. I got a 166 on the LSAT in October and will be applying next cycle (class of 2017). I refuse to retake. I want to study international law. What should I do?

Now how do you make money off me?
Is this really your situation or is it a hypo? We have almost identical circumstances, down to university, grades, job, lsat score and test date.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:23 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:OP, I don't understand the point of this? How will you make money?

Here's my situation:

I go to SUNY Cortland. I've studied economics and have a 3.1 GPA. I have a job lined up next year as a temp at a corporate real estate office that will pay me $18/hour. My parents will pay for 50% of my law school or $50k, whichever is more. I got a 166 on the LSAT in October and will be applying next cycle (class of 2017). I refuse to retake. I want to study international law. What should I do?

Now how do you make money off me?
Is this really your situation or is it a hypo? We have almost identical circumstances, down to university, grades, job, lsat score and test date.
Hypo. That's nuts. Please vote for me as most helpful TLSer on NYE

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:33 am

if OP knows what he's doing i don't think there's anything wrong with it. i just don't get why he'd know what he's doing. somebody who gets a 180 on the LSAT would be useful right away with no experience - not the most useful, but useful. just because someone gets into harvard doesn't mean they're useful as an advising person. they might have just gotten a 180.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:40 am

Slightly pains me to say it but lax's new spiel is crackinge up.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:44 pm

IAFG wrote:Wait I should do this

I am better credentialed than this clown and have a ton of free time

I was thinking of LSAT tutoring but maybe both instead
then you should do it. what do you think the credentials are of the tutors at kaplan and princeton review?

if you have a 99th percentile score, only 1% of people who take the LSAT have that credential. If you have good social skills and are not an asshole, that's probably another 33% if I'm pulling #s off my butt so right there you're 1 in 300. If you're capable of knowing how somebody is thinking and able to see where their brain goes retard, you're another 10% so now we're at 1 in 3000.

that combined skill set is worth $, and will make $.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:08 pm

uvabro wrote:

then you should do it. what do you think the credentials are of the tutors at kaplan and princeton review?

if you have a 99th percentile score, only 1% of people who take the LSAT have that credential. If you have good social skills and are not an asshole, that's probably another 33% if I'm pulling #s off my butt so right there you're 1 in 300. If you're capable of knowing how somebody is thinking and able to see where their brain goes retard, you're another 10% so now we're at 1 in 3000.

you had me until "not an asshole"

oh well

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:17 pm

IAFG wrote:
uvabro wrote:

oh well
i tutored the lsat to a shit ton of people, some of whom did better than me. the hardest part is when people are sooooooo dumb they can hardly read the q, and also when tutoring men who have a penis complex where they hate taking initiative from other people so refuse to heed your advice. you just wanna yell just copy what i'm doing dicktard. the self control to just smile and keep chilled.... it's hard.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suralin

Diamond

Post by suralin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:28 pm

uvabro wrote:
IAFG wrote:
uvabro wrote:

oh well
i tutored the lsat to a shit ton of people, some of whom did better than me. the hardest part is when people are sooooooo dumb they can hardly read the q, and also when tutoring men who have a penis complex where they hate taking initiative from other people so refuse to heed your advice. you just wanna yell just copy what i'm doing dicktard. the self control to just smile and keep chilled.... it's hard.
lolwut

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:28 pm

Regulus wrote:KAPLAN and other such companies already offer these services, OP, and you can select an adviser that is a graduate of the top school of your choice (Harvard, NYU, you name it). Albeit, they charge like $250 an hour. However, if I was going to pay someone either way, I'd much rather pay them $250 than pay a 0L from who-knows-where $30 for advice that I would be basing the rest of my career on.

You're free to do what you want, but don't be surprised when one of your advisees starts their own business to correct the bad advice given by someone who didn't have a clue that started their own business because they were tired of getting advice from people with no clue.
anyone who spends a 1000+ on admissions consulting is an idiot. if that $ was used for lsat prep and got just 1 more point, it would be worth much more.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:05 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shmoopy

Bronze

Post by Shmoopy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:57 pm

OP, while I don't think you are really qualified and selling yourself to clients may be difficult, most pre-law advisors are so bad that you could easily give better advice than them. If your services will include looking up info on this site, lsn, etc., more power to you.

It's not immoral in the least to charge someone to look up public info for that person. If your clients knew how to find that info for themselves, then they wouldn't have come to you in the first place. You are offering a service by doing something your clients don't know how to do. Doesn't matter if what you're doing is actually stupid easy. People calling you immoral are just butthurt because they aren't making money off this site.

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:10 pm

I've tutored for the LSAT (and teach a class for one of the national companies) for a couple years. If you work for a company and have a high LSAT score you'll have credibility to give admissions advice even as a 0L. However, people are still more likely to listen to boomer lawyers, their parents, or their friends for advice. Usually I give admissions advice for free to students. But if its someone just wanting counselling I just charge them $50 and give them an open ended service LOL. Typically its just pointing them to LSN, LST, and giving them the basics on their application. The only real time consuming part is if they want you to review their essays, so I charge extra by the hour if they want that. I don't think its exploitative or ripping people off to just basically be selling TLS CW. Lots of 0L's either don't know anything about TLS or just dismiss it as a site with a bunch of crazy aspies (accurate). I've tried many times to get one of my students to come on here so he has a more realistic view of the employment situation and he's just too much of a bro to listen to a bunch of anonymous dweebs on a message board.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”