Splitter 2.7x 171 (167), Morale/ Reality check thread

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
4thquarterclutch2012

Splitter 2.7x 171 (167), Morale/ Reality check thread

Postby 4thquarterclutch2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:11 pm

This is my first post here so, if this topic would be better served merged with another thread or in another area of the site I apologize. I have been lurking here since I took the February LSAT and I thank all of the helpful posters for giving me a better idea of how to go about this difficult process. My motivation for creating this thread is that, although there are countless splitter related threads both pertaining to where to apply, how to go about applications, and "what are my chances", there does not seem to be too much information so far this cycle regarding the progress of "splitters" applications so far this cycle. I have been scrolling through endless threads on this site and religiously checking lawschoolnumbers but, for whatever reason, there doesn't seem to be too big of a sample size, and within said sample, not to much updated information. I will be posting the results of my cycle as it progresses, and hope others will do the same. I feel it would be nice to have an idea of where people with numbers similar to mine are having success and vice versa. I am also open to any reality checks on any false hopes or delusions I may have regarding my chances certain places. For better or worse, maybe this thread can serve to help people in my situation either, feel good about their chances this cycle, or come to grips with a realistic perspective of what is to come.

For the sake of giving some background information, I have a 2.76 LSAC GPA, scored a 167 in February and a 171 on the October exam. I am caucasian and of 1/4 Cape Verdian descent and as such selected white/ caucasian and black/ african american on my applications. My diversity statement does not claim and societal or institutional hardships based on my ethnicity, but rather explains the situation. In both my personal statement and GPA addendum I attempt to, without sounding like I am making excuses, qualify my GPA by explaining my father's fight with cancer and the family issues I struggled with during those years.

Partially because I received an abundance of fee waivers and partially because of the unpredictable nature of my applications, I sent out 27 applications. I applied to a good portion of the top 25 schools, a few other schools outside of the top 25 which I thought I would potentially have interest in attending, the Florida schools, and a few others ranked a little lower who offered a fee waiver.

I originally applied for UVA EA and was promptly rejected (fair enough). Yesterday I received an email from the University of Miami congratulating me on admission. I was told that any scholarship offers would come a few weeks down the road. A few hours later, Minnesota called congratulating me on acceptance. Again, I was told that any scholarship offers would be in the packet which should arrive in the next week or so. Later in the day I got an email from Wake Forest congratulating me on admission and offering a 30k/ year scholarship. I found this to be extremely encouraging and I hope this is a sign of things to come.

I would love to hear about anyone else in a similar situation's progress so far, and hope that my cycle can serve as a meter for what to expect with similar numbers. I am also open to any TLS veterans bringing my expectations crashing back down to earth! Good luck to everyone else this cycle.

rvadog

Re: Splitter 2.7x 171 (167), Morale/ Reality check thread

Postby rvadog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

I'm curious as to your race. Are you one quarter black or one quarter Cape Veridiean Portuguese?

4thquarterclutch2012

Postby 4thquarterclutch2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:03 pm

rvadog wrote:I'm curious as to your race. Are you one quarter black or one quarter Cape Veridiean Portuguese?

One quarter Cape Verdian african descent. Discovered this about a year ago and explained in depth in my diversity statement.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:13 pm

You're gonna have an interesting cycle

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:15 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:23 pm

Im a URM with similar splitting stats. Last year I got a 105k scholarship from UMN, and matriculated. Youll probably get a similar offer if they feel comfortable counting you as a minority when they report stats, which im guessing they will. Hope to see you next year! Have you applied to GULC/NU? You would be an asset to every school you are at or above the LSAT median, despite your GPA. Good luck!

rvadog

Postby rvadog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:07 pm

4thquarterclutch2012 wrote:
rvadog wrote:I'm curious as to your race. Are you one quarter black or one quarter Cape Veridiean Portuguese?

One quarter Cape Verdian african descent. Discovered this about a year ago and explained in depth in my diversity statement.

That's not really my question. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business but I'm curious. Is your grand parent black or African like the guys in Lethal Weapon 2?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:10 pm

rvadog wrote:

That's not really my question. Feel free to tell me to mind my own business but I'm curious. Is your grand parent black or African like the guys in Lethal Weapon 2?

one quarter black (from Cape Verde). RC fail

rvadog

Postby rvadog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:16 pm

dingbat wrote:
rvadog wrote:

one quarter black (from Cape Verde). RC fail

Wondering where you saw that. I saw that he is caucasion and 1/4 Cape Verdian. I also saw that he "1/4 cape veridian african". I don't see anywhere that he is specifically 1/4 black. I'm sure you know that Cape verde was settled by the Portuguese and so He could easily be "African" like White South Africans are or even egyptians.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:24 pm

rvadog wrote:Wondering where you saw that. I saw that he is caucasion and 1/4 Cape Verdian. I also saw that he "1/4 cape veridian african". I don't see anywhere that he is specifically 1/4 black. I'm sure you know that Cape verde was settled by the Portuguese and so He could easily be "African" like White South Africans are or even egyptians.
see underlined. As an aside, I know someone who's white south african who puts down "african american"

rvadog

Postby rvadog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:32 pm

You may know a white South African that claimed to be African American but I feel that is both disengunous and immoral. We all know that black/african american isn't supposed to mean whites from Africa.

Per the U.S. census:

"Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am.' or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:38 pm

rvadog wrote:You may know a white South African that claimed to be African American but I feel that is both disengunous and immoral. We all know that black/african american isn't supposed to mean whites from Africa.

Per the U.S. census:

"Black or African American. A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as 'Black, African Am.' or provide written entries such as Kenyan, Nigerian, or Haitian."

I didn't say I agreed with it, just that it happens

4thquarterclutch2012

Postby 4thquarterclutch2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:49 pm

dingbat wrote:
rvadog wrote:You may know a white South African that claimed to be African American but I feel that is both disengunous and immoral. We all know that black/african american isn't supposed to mean whites from Africa.

Per the U.S. census:

Not being immoral.... as I stated, my fathers grandparents were african. With that said, im leaning towards your offer of telling you to mind your own business. I created this thread as a means of discussing my own cycle and that of others in a similar situation, not as a debate about whether I am black enough for you.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:53 pm

4thquarterclutch2012

Postby 4thquarterclutch2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Nova wrote:Im a URM with similar splitting stats. Last year I got a 105k scholarship from UMN, and matriculated. Youll probably get a similar offer if they feel comfortable counting you as a minority when they report stats, which im guessing they will. Hope to see you next year! Have you applied to GULC/NU? You would be an asset to every school you are at or above the LSAT median, despite your GPA. Good luck!

Thank you! I applied at NU, not GULC. I had done the UVA ea and planned on doing the same at GULC if UVA rejected me but now am worried it is to late. As far as t14 I also applied to Michigan Penn NYU Columbia Cornell and Berkeley (aware that those are basically autorejects but a free app is a free app). I am looking forward to seeing Minnesota's offer. Where else did you get in? (If you don't mind me asking)

rvadog

Postby rvadog » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:16 pm

dingbat wrote:relevant

Not really relevant. My purpose wasn't to say 1/4 or 1/8 or 1/100 isn't balck enough to put on admissions.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:17 pm

dingbat wrote:
rvadog wrote:Wondering where you saw that. I saw that he is caucasion and 1/4 Cape Verdian. I also saw that he "1/4 cape veridian african". I don't see anywhere that he is specifically 1/4 black. I'm sure you know that Cape verde was settled by the Portuguese and so He could easily be "African" like White South Africans are or even egyptians.
see underlined. As an aside, I know someone who's white south african who puts down "african american"

If that acquaintance is in law school, C&F will be a fun ride.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:29 pm

dingbat wrote:

Per the U.S. census:

Not being immoral.... as I stated, my fathers grandparents were african. With that said, im leaning towards your offer of telling you to mind your own business. I created this thread as a means of discussing my own cycle and that of others in a similar situation, not as a debate about whether I am black enough for you.

In fairness to that poster, he is not asking whether or not you're "black enough." He is simply asking whether your Cape Verdean grandparents were of European African descent or of Black African descent (or both, like most Cape Verdeans). Which is why dingbat's linked article is completely irrelevant. I wouldn't ask these questions of you myself, but let's not misunderstand the poster's intent.

In any event, good luck on your application cycle!

4thquarterclutch2012

Postby 4thquarterclutch2012 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:55 pm

Ti Malice wrote:
dingbat wrote:

Per the U.S. census:

In fairness to that poster, he is not asking whether or not you're "black enough." He is simply asking whether your Cape Verdean grandparents were of European African descent or of Black African descent (or both, like most Cape Verdeans). Which is why dingbat's linked article is completely irrelevant. I wouldn't ask these questions of you myself, but let's not misunderstand the poster's intent.

In any event, good luck on your application cycle!

Thank you. I didn't mean to come off so rude* towards to other poster and perhaps my wording could have been better. Just do not feel that I need to be any more specific than I already have been and wanted to get back to the topic the thread was originally intended for.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:28 pm

Nova wrote:Im a URM with similar splitting stats. Last year I got a 105k scholarship from UMN, and matriculated. Youll probably get a similar offer if they feel comfortable counting you as a minority when they report stats, which im guessing they will. Hope to see you next year! Have you applied to GULC/NU? You would be an asset to every school you are at or above the LSAT median, despite your GPA. Good luck!

Thank you! I applied at NU, not GULC. I had done the UVA ea and planned on doing the same at GULC if UVA rejected me but now am worried it is to late. As far as t14 I also applied to Michigan Penn NYU Columbia Cornell and Berkeley (aware that those are basically autorejects but a free app is a free app). I am looking forward to seeing Minnesota's offer. Where else did you get in? (If you don't mind me asking)

I will PM you details. Looking at standard deviation, your LSAT score makes you (about) one of the top 10 AA scorers applying this cycle. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=195443

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”