I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CanIGetAnAmen

Re: I'm sorry if this topic has been beaten to death but

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:51 pm

Ghost93 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:I want to go to HYS.
What kind of extracurriculars do I have to do?

join the military
rhodes scholar
olympic medal
nobel prize
cure cancer
get a phd
peace corps
teach for america

I can do teach for America - but it takes too long.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:57 pm

don't tell schools you're making a documentary

totally doesn't work

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:40 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
Ghost93 wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:I want to go to HYS.
What kind of extracurriculars do I have to do?

join the military
rhodes scholar
olympic medal
nobel prize
cure cancer
get a phd
peace corps
teach for america

If this is your problem with Teach for America, then you really really really shouldn't be doing Teach for America.

haus

Postby haus » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:46 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:

Too long??? You understand that the whole concept of a notable soft (for whatever they are worth) is to demonstrate going above and beyond at something. Teach for America is a quite short road compared to others.

Don't worry, you can spend a few years doing something interesting. Law schools will still be there when you have actually have an interesting resume, well some of them will be anyway...

P.S.

From the sound of it Teach for America would probably be better without you. Maybe you should consider enlisting for a job in the infantry.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Sun May 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Nova wrote:No one cares what classes you take.

Find a trade off between maximizing your GPA and subject matter you would be comfortable falling back on if law doesn't work out.

/thread

What if people take like 200 and 100 level courses?[/quote]
OP, if you want law school take the easiest classes you can. No one cares what level.

Well believe it.

Although don't believe it too much, there's some anecdotal evidence (even from posters way earlier in this thread) that have experience with less than stellar majors/schools bringing down their amazing GPAs. GPA definitely trumps major/school 10 to 1, but if your goal is HYS it's worth considering just how blatantly easy your major/school looks to adcomms. If it was me, I'd trade a 4.0 at a random community college for a 3.95 with a school adcomms will have at least heard of or in a major that people don't immediately associate with negativity.[/quote][/quote]

So you're saying YHS doesn't care about what classes you take?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon May 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Do business or something. Thats the major for people who want to do something, but don't really car.e

+1. Do business with an emphasis in finance or accounting. This degree helps a little bit in business-related law courses and big-law hiring. I assume it would not be too hard to get As at the business schools at Emory or Michigan, but maybe someone will inform us differently. It also provides at least some chance of getting a job out of undergrad if you don't go the law route.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Mon May 27, 2013 2:13 pm

Bronte wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Do business or something. Thats the major for people who want to do something, but don't really car.e

+1. Do business with an emphasis in finance or accounting. This degree helps a little bit in business-related law courses and big-law hiring. I assume it would not be too hard to get As at the business schools at Emory or Michigan, but maybe someone will inform us differently. It also provides at least some chance of getting a job out of undergrad if you don't go the law route.

Ross at Michigan curves like a mofo, so a 4.33 is attainable in every class if I'm not mistaken.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 27, 2013 2:31 pm

Why are we allowing the OP to continue to beat this topic to death?

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Mon May 27, 2013 3:33 pm

dsn32 wrote:
Bronte wrote:

Ross at Michigan curves like a mofo, so a 4.33 is attainable in every class if I'm not mistaken.

Then he can go straight to Wall Street and can skip law school.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=209809&p=6770834#p6770834

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Mon May 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Go where you are happiest and most comfortable. Both schools have a strong cache', though UMichigan might have slightly better "lay prestige" everywhere except for in the east/southeast.

On the other hand, Emory is a prestigious private school well-known by academics and adcoms.

In addition to your choice of potential law schools - if you have developed one - take all of the above into consideration.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Does YHS law schools care what courses you take? Do they want hard courses?

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Tue May 28, 2013 8:10 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Does YHS law schools care what courses you take? Do they want hard courses?

No.

No.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Tue May 28, 2013 11:03 pm

John_rizzy_rawls wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Does YHS law schools care what courses you take? Do they want hard courses?

No.

No.

I heard they do...more than other schools anyway.

Postby 20141023 » Wed May 29, 2013 10:42 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:45 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:

You were right about the lol here. However, before learning American, you should probably learn proper English. "Does schools care" is bloody awesome grammar, mate. :wink:

Then I can learn "American" right brah?
Looking strong right there brah.

Answer the question or just keep mirin'.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:53 pm

Okay. It seems that some people on this forum don't like it when I post. Well if yousomadbrah, fawking post where I can find all this info.

Also, for real fawreel, how much do YHS CNN care about course selection? Should I take 2 Acting classes next semester or econ?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:20 pm

They don't care at all, they only care about your gpa. Take whatever classes you need to get that gpa as high as you can.

Next semester take whatever classes will give you straight A's.

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:51 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Okay. It seems that some people on this forum don't like it when I post. Well if yousomadbrah, fawking post where I can find all this info.

Also, for real fawreel, how much do YHS CNN care about course selection? Should I take 2 Acting classes next semester or econ?

You might be too melodramatic to ace those acting classes, so probably Econ.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:56 pm

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:Okay. It seems that some people on this forum don't like it when I post. Well if yousomadbrah, fawking post where I can find all this info.

Seven fucking pages and you're still asking the same fucking question? Jesus. This is why nobody likes it when you post.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:59 pm

STOP FEEDING THE TROLL

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:28 am

rinkrat19 wrote:

Seven fucking pages and you're still asking the same fucking question? Jesus. This is why nobody likes it when you post.

Did I ask for your opinion brah?
Got a problem brah then step to me brah.
Umadbrah?

Pathetic little manlet - doesn't even lift or have facial aesthetics. 2/10 at best - eyes too far apart, ose too crooked. I can feel the bile coming up my throat just looking at your pictures. Don't even get me started on your hair manlet.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 am

Dr. Dre wrote:STOP FEEDING THE TROLL

Sad kids on this forum - think they can give sarcastic stationary answers to a new poster. With a arrogant attitude that puts Kanye West to shame, acting as if the new poster should know that his question has been asked before.

Don't ever step to a miscer.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:38 am

CanIGetAnAmen wrote:
Sad kids on this forum - think they can give sarcastic stationary answers to a new poster. With a arrogant attitude that puts Kanye West to shame, acting as if the new poster should know that his question has been asked before.

CanIGetAnAmen

Postby CanIGetAnAmen » Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:00 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
CanIGetAnAmen wrote:

180 more like brah.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:38 am

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:yeah dont rip on music major difficulty until you've practiced one piece literally 1000s of times, intricately correcting every minute articulation, phrasing and dymanics issue...and thats just the performing...the theory, from listening to you, you would fail, and the history is just as boring (although us music majors don't think so) and convoluted as any other history class.

Don't give music majors flack for actually majoring in something we enjoy.

If you suck at your major, odds are you don't like it. Like someone above said. You can get a 4.0 in pretty much any major, as long as you enjoy it enough to put in the time.

Seriously. If you can't even read music, you have no right to say that it's easy.

That said, it's a major I should have done. Not because I think it is the easiest major in the world, because I'm actually trained in music theory and I would have enjoyed it. In the real world, it's probably as useful as my history major.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”