(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:54 pm

Last edited by nachosrgood on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gooses

Re: Character Question- Rapid Response Needed!

Postby Gooses » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:58 pm

Retake

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:59 pm

I think you're justified to press and see what exactly is in there. Tell them you are applying to law school and need this information so you don't have issues when you sit for the bar down the line.

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:00 pm

nachosrgood wrote:First, thanks for reading, much appreciated. This is a throwaway account, but anyway here is the question.

So, I know the advice is disclose, disclose, disclose... but I received a dorm violation freshman year (noises and an empty souvenir bottle hanging up high were the official charge). I think there was some issues with "pre-ponderance of evidence" but to be honest I can't remember 100% what exactly I was written up for... Anyway I have contacted my the appropriate department of my school and they said I had no record. Then I pressed further and the said oh, I received a warning for "drugs" (um WTF I was not aware of anything like that being on the record!!), but it had been expunged from my record. I assume I can't leave this to "it has been expunged from my record," because clearly they could still access that somehow...

So I need the TLS sage advice. I am thinking I should press the respective office for disclosing to me everything on record, so that I can disclose that. I am afraid of missing some important information as I write my disclosure (alcohol I could see being on there but "drugs"!?! WTT). So should I press the office to disclose exactly what I received a warning for?

Or of course I could go the extreme and not disclose because it has been expunged... Though as I mentioned earlier, it clearly has not been completely removed from this public university's records, not to mention how unnecessary of a risk it is.

Thoughts? The sooner the better because I want to make a decision before the holiday weekend.

Just report what you know, so long as its the truth. If your UG gave you a warning for drugs, and you don't remember it, you might want to look into that.

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Last edited by nachosrgood on Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 pm

nachosrgood wrote:they had no direct evidence but gave the warning because of a preponderance of evidence (alcohol I could see being on there but "drugs"!?! WTF).

Preponderance of the evidence means "more likely than not." That is, there's a 51% chance you had drugs according to the school.

OP, go talk to your Dean of Students or other such administrator and chat with them about what they actually have on your record. Tell them why you're asking and ask them what you should disclose.

nachosrgood

Postby nachosrgood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Last edited by nachosrgood on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

justonemoregame

Re: delete

Postby justonemoregame » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:14 pm

Don't go to law school

nachosrgood

Re: Character and Fitness Question

Postby nachosrgood » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:29 pm

Last edited by nachosrgood on Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:19 pm

I think your statement is fine. I wouldn't state that you were a minor at the time, but do put the date of the incident. If the adcoms care, they will be able to figure out if you were a minor themselves.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Regardless of what the lady told you, absolutely disclose. Law schools are not going to care at all. (And even if they would, always disclose.) Also, remove the boilerplate expressions of remorse. They never sound genuine, and they're completely unnecessary. Again, no adcomm is going to care about something so trivial. Just provide the bare facts.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”