Taking the Dean of Admissions Out for Dinner/Drinks

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
DaRascal

Taking the Dean of Admissions Out for Dinner/Drinks

Postby DaRascal » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:19 am

Let's say you're applying to law school and you're not that confident in your numbers and you would take any legal measure to boost your chances of admission to a certain school. How much would meeting the dean of admissions or meeting the most influential people on the admissions committee as they were going to their cars after their offices closed and taking them out for dinner and/or drinks help if all went well?

Tom Joad

Re: Taking the Dean of Admissions Out for Dinner/Drinks

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 am

I hope you are joking, bro. They would probably just laugh at you and say no.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:26 am

DaRascal wrote:How much would meeting the dean of admissions or meeting the most influential people on the admissions committee as they were going to their cars after their offices closed and taking them out for dinner and/or drinks help if all went well?

lolwut

Dear god I hope this is a flame.

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:34 am

DaRascal wrote:Let's say you're applying to law school and you're not that confident in your numbers and you would take any legal measure to boost your chances of admission to a certain school. How much would meeting the dean of admissions or meeting the most influential people on the admissions committee as they were going to their cars after their offices closed and taking them out for dinner and/or drinks help if all went well?

Just meet with them at their office. I did that, and I think it made a difference. It gives you an opportunity to convey your sincerity in attending their school. I was waitlisted for like 2 months, i met with them, and I was admitted like a week later.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:36 am

I was thinking a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, time spent conversing showing your sincerity in getting to know THEM since they spend so much time getting to know you, and then you can do some karaoke (Frank Sinatra or Perry Como maybe to appeal to the adcomms' tastes?) and get them head bobbing and snapping their fingers and then you can serve as their designated driver to get them home safely.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:37 am

Go for it bro

atcushman

Postby atcushman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:47 am

DaRascal wrote:I was thinking a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant, time spent conversing showing your sincerity in getting to know THEM since they spend so much time getting to know you, and then you can do some karaoke (Frank Sinatra or Perry Como maybe to appeal to the adcomms' tastes?) and get my them head bobbing and snapping their fingers and then you can serve as their they designateddriver to get them home safely.

rouser

Postby rouser » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:50 am

DaRascal wrote:I was thinking a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant...and get them head bobbing and snapping their fingers and then you can serve as their designated driver to get them home safely.

you shouldn't try to have sex with your dean of admissions

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:53 am

rouser wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I was thinking a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant...and get them head bobbing and snapping their fingers and then you can serve as their designated driver to get them home safely.

Actually I'm pretty sure that's still a better plan than OP's "catch them on the way to their car."

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:03 am

DaRascal wrote:Let's say you're applying to law school and you're not that confident in your numbers and you would take any legal measure to boost your chances of admission to a certain school. How much would meeting the dean of admissions or meeting the most influential people on the admissions committee as they were going to their cars after their offices closed and taking them out for dinner and/or drinks help if all went well?

Might as well go all the way and plan to take them to bed at this point. Btw, coming up to somebody after offices close while they are going to their cars is down right creepy. And annoying. People really hate to talk business after they're on their way home. Don't be that reason they're late getting home. Also, stalker-ish much?

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:04 am

TripTrip wrote:
rouser wrote:

Actually I'm pretty sure that's still a better plan than OP's "catch them on the way to their car."

Agreed. I'm thinking the original plan is stalker like, while plan sex is just pervert-ish.

Postby 071816 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:08 am

You should try to bang the admissions dean.

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:35 am

TripTrip wrote:OP's "catch them on the way to their car."

That's a bit cynical. It's more like he's/she's walking out of his/her office and you make some small talk and then you go like "Oh! You're the Dean of Admissions for [insert school]?! No way! What a coincidence. I applied there a few weeks ago. My name is [insert name]. It's such an honor to meet you. What are the chances that I would meet the dean of admissions of my DREAM SCHOOL while walking home from my volunteer job at the local homeless shelter? I'm so very honored.

And you know the rest. :P

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:39 am

DaRascal wrote:

That's a bit cynical. It's more like he's/she's walking out of his/her office and you make some small talk and then you go like "Oh! You're the Dean of Admissions for [insert school]?! No way! What a coincidence. I applied there a few weeks ago. My name is [insert name]. It's such an honor to meet you. What are the chances that I would meet the dean of admissions of my DREAM SCHOOL while walking home from my volunteer job at the local homeless shelter? I'm so very honored.

Solid plan, bro. Make TLS proud by taking pics.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:02 am

DaRascal wrote:

Your plan:
1) Obtain pictures of the Dean of Admissions so you can identify him visually. (Creep factor: 3)
2) Locate the Dean's office on campus and estimate the route he will take to his car. (Creep factor: 4)
3) Determine the approximately time he will leave. (Creep factor: 2)
4) Find a place between his office and his car and wait there for an undetermined amount of time. (Creep factor: 9)
5) See the Dean coming. Stand up. Walk in his direction.
6) Realize that people don't strike up conversations while crossing paths.
You: "Hey, aren't you the Dean of Admissions?!"
Him: "Yes. Who are you?"
You: "I'm actually a prospective student. Can I buy you dinner?"
Him: "No."

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:49 am

DaRascal wrote:

Bonus points if your dream school is hundreds of miles away and you drop in that you were "Just in the neighborhood."

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am

This thread needs to stop, I am sitting here at a diner laughing out loud obnoxiously

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:47 am

Btw, my only story only (very) remotely resembling this:

College freshman. Had no idea I was set on law school. Was in SF on a break, and visited Stanford because we had time to kill. Dressed in a t-shirt and shorts with a friend, we went into the law school and asked the (maybe Associate) Dean of Admissions if we can take a picture with her.

She said no.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 am

weathercoins wrote:This thread needs to stop, I am sitting here at a diner laughing out loud obnoxiously

Are you there with the dean of admissions? Because if not you're wasting time.

Redamon1

Postby Redamon1 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:57 pm

This thread is awesome. So many good ideas.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:00 pm

I would gladly have sex with any of the Deans or Assistant Deans or whomever if it got me in/more scholarship money.

Eye contact. Role-playing. Whatever the team wants.

Go for it OP.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:05 pm

This thread was started by one of only a handful of posters I'd believe was asking in earnest

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:19 pm

dingbat wrote:This thread was started by one of only a handful of posters I'd believe was asking in earnest

Okay, okay, if this is legit I will say this OP: I have a buddy who was beneath median for UCLA Law. He ran into the Dean and bought her coffee (pretty sure it was Dean Moran) and they chatted for a good 20 minutes about him etc. etc.

A week later he was called and accepted.

Now this is special snowflake territory, but honestly, as long as you don't come off as Dexter or Gale Weathers running at their car... It could be helpful.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”