Didn't List All Work Experience Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
karmaman

Bronze

Didn't List All Work Experience

Post by karmaman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:04 pm

Hey guys, for one of my recently submitted Apps (Loyola) I didn't list all work experiences under the employment section. I only put the most relevant positions, but to avoid any C&F issues down the road, do you think I should write them an email now and let them know or just let them know if I get accepted or how should I go about it? I just sent it in yesterday btw...Thanks!!

oaken

Bronze

Re: Didn't List All Work Experience

Post by oaken » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:51 pm

why didn't you? LS resumes don't have a length maximum

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:59 pm

They usually want to confine it to one page, so I ended up just putting the same two jobs I had on that resume in the employment section, just wasn't thinking..Stupid mistake on my part, but like I said not sure how I should go about it now.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:07 pm

Schools dont call all your old jobs to get references and do background checks, they want to see your experience to determine if you have a unique background which may contribute to the diversity of the class...its not a c&f issue...if its eating you up inside send it one of two things will likely happen they will go wtf who cares or wtf cant this guy follow basic instructions and fill out an application completely

mmbt123

New

Post by mmbt123 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:15 pm

for the first app i submitted, i did the same thing as you (having been a RA at a summer camp just didn't seem relevant in my opinion). i got admitted (it was a top 20 school). So unless you think that the work experience adds to your application in some measurable way, i think it's totally fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 pm

Alright let me clarify, I'm not worried about this in the eyes of the law school, I'm saying the C&F portion before you take the Bar. On the moral determination part you have to list all jobs you've had since 18 I believe (CA) so when they compare that to my law school app which excludes certain jobs, would they think I'm trying to conceal something or what they just move on since I've included it.

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:33 pm

"As part of your Bar application, many states will ask you to submit a copy of your law school application. The State Bar’s Character and Fitness Committee will compare your answers to its questions with those provided in your law school application. Because discrepancies can result in adverse consequences, it is imperative that the information you provide on your law school application is accurate and complete. If your answers on your law school application are inconsistent with your responses on your Bar application, the Board of Bar Examiners will likely initiate a more intensive review of your file. You may suffer sanctions, including revocation of law school admission; the Board may delay your certification of fitness; or the Board may determine that you are not fit to practice, which means you will be unable to take the bar and, subsequently, practice law." second thought I would submit it

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:40 pm

Auto ding

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:52 pm

Got it, so contact the law school now or wait if I'm accepted or what?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

atcushman

Bronze

Post by atcushman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:58 pm

how do you think the school might react to someone waiting until they had been accepted to correct a mistake on their application?

cd7573

New

Post by cd7573 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:23 am

They obviously check everything for a Bar app, but i feel like these warnings are more so for the answers to the C&F questions. Omitting your minor camp counselor position because you did not think it was relevant to your application does not undermine your good moral standing like lying about a sanction or juvenile arrest and thinking you wont get caught. If it give you piece of mind go ahead and update though.

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:35 am

Ya i know what you mean, but the jobs weren't that meaningless I guess..I omitted a job where I worked as a Recreation Leader for my City while I was in college, but it was really part time, like a couple weekends a month, a job at subway, and a job in advertising after graduation. All left on good terms, nothing that would hurt me at all, would probably help if anything. I just didn't see the particular relevance as applying to law school

cd7573

New

Post by cd7573 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:41 am

0L here but I would think it would only hurt you C&F wise if you were discipled or fired at any of these jobs and then tried to hide it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:49 am

ya on the contrary I actually have been given several raises at my park job and a favorable three and six month review at my advertising gig before I left, not worried about that part at all, just trying to errr on the side of caution. I already had a DUI as a freshman and have been been trouble free since then, so I want to try and minimize any other potential C&F hangups.

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:55 am

Jeebus these responses are dumb. Just send an email with the updated information. I did the same thing (well, I accidentally forgot one job), no one cared. I have worked with a state employment database, and yes, the bar examiners will know every job you have ever had. /thread

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:00 am

haha right on Dexter...quick question in regards to that, are they able to look it up due to W2s and tax forms or how are they able to find out?

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:07 am

karmaman wrote:haha right on Dexter...quick question in regards to that, are they able to look it up due to W2s and tax forms or how are they able to find out?
Magic.

But yeah, basically anything that you ever had tax withheld from is going to be in a state database. You give the bar examiners permission to pull it when you sign your bar application.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:29 am

They are only going to care about you leaving stuff off that makes you look dishonest. There is no way on earth this will matter. Do you think every person is putting down every job they every worked EVER? McDonalds when they were 16? Unlikely.

karmaman

Bronze

Post by karmaman » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:05 am

By they are you referring to the Bar? They just want to ensure that it matches with whats on your LS apps, and that you're not trying to hide some type of disciplinary action.

cubswin

Silver

Post by cubswin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:10 am

karmaman wrote:By they are you referring to the Bar? They just want to ensure that it matches with whats on your LS apps, and that you're not trying to hide some type of disciplinary action.
I do mean the bar. My point is that whether it matches your law school app in every detail (like your McDonalds job in high school) probably doesn't matter as long as you aren't trying to hide something like a disciplinary action. OP doesn't seem to be hiding anything or engaging in dishonest activity by leaving the jobs off of his law school application, so if he fills out his bar application a bit more thoroughly and includes his omitted jobs along with the rest of his entire life history, I can hardly think they'll consider it a material misrepresentation.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 pm

Even the Bar will not give a shit. If you want, email the school with an updated resume. No need to offer an explanation, just "here's my updated resume. thank you."

DO NOT WRITE "I made a horrible mistake and left off these jobs and I apologize so here is my correct information don't report me to C&F!" They will ding you for being crazy and paranoid, not because you left your Taco Bell taco-making experience off your resume.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:09 pm

Is it common to list all work experience on a resume? WTF. I dont really list anything from college and certainly nothing pre-college.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:57 pm

dr123 wrote:Is it common to list all work experience on a resume? WTF. I dont really list anything from college and certainly nothing pre-college.
You don't have to list it all, unless you have only had a few jobs. Use your judgment.

Chaucer1343

Bronze

Post by Chaucer1343 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:16 am

I just finished editing my resume so as to fit all of my jerbs onto a page. Each jerb (except for one) has one bullet point. As an added note, each of these jerbs were more than six months (six jerbs total). I'm non-traditional.

At first I was skeptical about editing my resume in the way mentioned; however, now that I look over it, the resume provides a clean (and more complete) timeline of what I've done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”