LOR Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
utex89

LOR Advice

Postby utex89 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:55 pm

I have a solid LOR from a boss at an internship but haven't gotten an academic LOR yet. Having some trouble deciding who to try to get a recommendation from. I was an engineering major and the majority of my professors were not originally from the US/had English as a 2nd language, so I'm not sure how their letters would come across. Also, most of my classes were big and the professors I had the most contact with were the ones with the hardest classes that I struggled in. Would it be ok to get a LOR from a professor from my business minor or should I try to keep it in major? Also, would a TA rec be alright or should it be from a prof?

Options I was considering were:

-Business law professor: Got an A in his class and the class was law related, plus he has been through law school and probably knows how to write a good rec. Took the class Fall 2011 and probably doesn't remember me.

-Accounting and finance professor: Got an A in both of his classes. Took them in Fall 2010 and Spring 2011 so quite a while ago. Might remember me but unlikely.

-Engineering stats prof: Got an A in his class and went to his office hours some. Took the class awhile ago in Fall 2010 so might not remember me but he was a cool prof and seemed pretty eloquent.

-Senior design project TA: Worked closely with him all this past semester and I was team leader of my group. He definitely liked us and I think he would give a very positive LOR. He was just a TA though and not the prof of the course, who we didn't have much contact with.

Any idea which would be best or which ones definitely not to go for? Sorry for the novel but I'm kind of freaking out, I know I'm very late on this and really need to start asking ASAP. Any advice would be helpful.

TripTrip

Re: LOR Advice

Postby TripTrip » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:29 pm

utex89 wrote:-Senior design project TA: Worked closely with him all this past semester and I was team leader of my group. He definitely liked us and I think he would give a very positive LOR.

That's your guy.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:37 pm

-Senior design project TA: Worked closely with him all this past semester and I was team leader of my group. He definitely liked us and I think he would give a very positive LOR.

That's your guy.

Strongly disagree. A TA writing your LOR? Doesn't come across well. I would go with one of the profs.

oaken

Postby oaken » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 am

jetsfan1 wrote:
-Senior design project TA: Worked closely with him all this past semester and I was team leader of my group. He definitely liked us and I think he would give a very positive LOR.

That's your guy.

Strongly disagree. A TA writing your LOR? Doesn't come across well. I would go with one of the profs.

...flame?

EDIT: jetsfan, if you're serious, why on earth would you feel compelled to give advice about something that you know nothing about? why not just not post ånything and move on?
Last edited by oaken on Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 am

jetsfan1 wrote:Strongly disagree. A TA writing your LOR? Doesn't come across well. I would go with one of the profs.
From where are you getting your horrendous opinion?

TA recommendations are OK. We understand that at most undergraduate institutions, classes are not always small enough that the person evaluating you will be the professor him- or herself. So a recommendations from a TA who can speak in detail about your work is preferable to a tenured professor who doesn't remember your face.

From Yale.

dsn32

Postby dsn32 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:26 am

TA all day. It's all about what they have to say about you. Schools can tell a form-letter style recommendation when they see one (because they see them every day). You want yours to stand out, meaning you want the most personal letter you can get.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:18 pm

TA. Definitely.

jetsfan1

Postby jetsfan1 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:43 pm

alright maybe i was wrong, no need to be an ass about it...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”