Is FALL 2013 out of the question??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
truttu12

Is FALL 2013 out of the question??

Postby truttu12 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:51 am

All -

I just graduated (DEC 2012) with a BS in engineering. I delayed taking the LSAT and will most likely be taking it in February for the first time. The reason for delaying it was primarily so I could focus on successfully completing my last semester.

Of the schools I am applying to, the majority have deadlines middle to late February. There are a few others that have deadlines extended until August. I know that I will be at a severe disadvantage by taking the LSAT this late in the game for scholarships/admission, etc.

Is it worth to just sit out a year and apply early for Fall 2014 or should I take a gamble and go forward for Fall 2013?

Overall GPA: 3.4
LSAT: TBD....

Thanks for any input!

Re: Is FALL 2013 out of the question??

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:54 am

truttu12 wrote:All -

I just graduated (DEC 2012) with a BS in engineering. I delayed taking the LSAT and will most likely be taking it in February for the first time. The reason for delaying it was primarily so I could focus on successfully completing my last semester.

Of the schools I am applying to, the majority have deadlines middle to late February. There are a few others that have deadlines extended until August. I know that I will be at a severe disadvantage by taking the LSAT this late in the game for scholarships/admission, etc.

Is it worth to just sit out a year and apply early for Fall 2014 or should I take a gamble and go forward for Fall 2013?

Overall GPA: 3.4
LSAT: TBD....

Thanks for any input!

Wait a year. Only shitty schools have a deadline after Feb.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:10 am

Yes, Fall 2013 is out of the question.

Even if there was a decent school that would still accept a February LSAT score (and I think DF is right, I don't think there are) you would be missing out on scholarship money and you would likely miss out on some acceptances you would have gotten if you'd applied earlier in the cycle.

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:15 am

I am going to disagree with the above posters. You don't have much to lose by applying for fall '13. If you don't like the scholly offers, don't take them and reapply.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:19 am

No, that's terrible advice. Then we're gonna see this dude in a couple months starting a thread asking if he should go to BumfuckLaw at sticker. He's gonna say well I took the February LSAT and applied really late but I just don't want to wait another year. Maybe I'll just transfer after 1l year. Or if not I know a friend's dad's cousin who went to BumfuckLaw and he has a job now so I'll be fine. Everyone will tell him to wait a year and retake and/or reapply.

Might as well skip that and go straight to the waiting a year.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:35 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:No, that's terrible advice. Then we're gonna see this dude in a couple months starting a thread asking if he should go to BumfuckLaw at sticker. He's gonna say well I took the February LSAT and applied really late but I just don't want to wait another year. Maybe I'll just transfer after 1l year. Or if not I know a friend's dad's cousin who went to BumfuckLaw and he has a job now so I'll be fine. Everyone will tell him to wait a year and retake and/or reapply.

Might as well skip that and go straight to the waiting a year.

macnut2012

Postby macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:28 am

bobbypin wrote:I am going to disagree with the above posters. You don't have much to lose by applying for fall '13. If you don't like the scholly offers, don't take them and reapply.

I agree with this poster. This is no hurt in applying to a FEW schools to see what you might get offered. You will probably get wait listed if you're LSAT score is decent. But admissions to a school often has openings. Alot of admittance change their mind or go to another school. The waitlist is meant for admissions to fill the gaps when people change their minds about going to the school. Sometimes you even get offered the other student's scholarship money. This happend to me at one school, but I decided not to take it because it was not a very good school. I say only apply to a few schools because most applications cost money. Just aim for a few of the schools you want to go too. If you apply to 10 schools, you might spend upward of $400.00 just for application fees.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:52 am

macnut2012 wrote:
I agree with this poster. This is no hurt in applying to a FEW schools to see what you might get offered. You will probably get wait listed if you're LSAT score is decent. But admissions to a school often has openings. Alot of admittance change their mind or go to another school. The waitlist is meant for admissions to fill the gaps when people change their minds about going to the school. Sometimes you even get offered the other student's scholarship money. This happend to me at one school, but I decided not to take it because it was not a very good school. I say only apply to a few schools because most applications cost money. Just aim for a few of the schools you want to go too. If you apply to 10 schools, you might spend upward of $400.00 just for application fees.

Wut. No. The bolded epitomizes the saying "penny wise, pound foolish." You might as well not apply if you only apply to a few (taking this to mean 3 or less) schools. The cost of applying to as many schools as possible is more than outweighed by the higher chance of getting into a better school, higher lifetime earnings, higher chance of scholarships, more scholly money, and increased leverage for scholly negotiations, particularly with applications being drastically down. $400 is nothing compared to that.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:14 am

Suralin wrote:Wut. No. The bolded epitomizes the saying "penny wise, pound foolish." You might as well not apply if you only apply to a few (taking this to mean 3 or less) schools. The cost of applying to as many schools as possible is more than outweighed by the higher chance of getting into a better school, higher lifetime earnings, higher chance of scholarships, more scholly money, and increased leverage for scholly negotiations, particularly with applications being drastically down. $400 is nothing compared to that.

I can't help swooning over your avatar while you give such sound advce

macnut2012

Postby macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:30 am

Suralin wrote:
macnut2012 wrote:

Wut. No. The bolded epitomizes the saying "penny wise, pound foolish." You might as well not apply if you only apply to a few (taking this to mean 3 or less) schools. The cost of applying to as many schools as possible is more than outweighed by the higher chance of getting into a better school, higher lifetime earnings, higher chance of scholarships, more scholly money, and increased leverage for scholly negotiations, particularly with applications being drastically down. $400 is nothing compared to that.

LOL. Okay clearly we all see the situation differently. Just do what you want to do. If you want to wait, then wait. If you want to apply, then apply. BUT it really boils down to your LSAT score.

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 am

dingbat wrote:
Suralin wrote:Wut. No. The bolded epitomizes the saying "penny wise, pound foolish." You might as well not apply if you only apply to a few (taking this to mean 3 or less) schools. The cost of applying to as many schools as possible is more than outweighed by the higher chance of getting into a better school, higher lifetime earnings, higher chance of scholarships, more scholly money, and increased leverage for scholly negotiations, particularly with applications being drastically down. $400 is nothing compared to that.

I can't help swooning over your avatar while you give such sound advce

I can't help swooning over such a compliment from a poster I much admire. :oops:

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:45 am

macnut2012 wrote:
Suralin wrote:
macnut2012 wrote:

LOL. Okay clearly we all see the situation differently. Just do what you want to do. If you want to wait, then wait. If you want to apply, then apply. BUT it really boils down to your LSAT score.

But if you don't have an LSAT score, how would you even know where to apply if you were trying to be conservative and only applying to a few? Seems much better to wait.

Spartan_Alum_12

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Take a year off. Study for the June LSAT, take it. If you don't like your score, retake in October. Apply for Fall 2014. During the winter/spring, you can then pass the Patent Bar before law school, giving you an advantage going in. You could also take an engineering job for a year if you want to.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:58 pm

Spartan_Alum_12 wrote:Take a year off. Study for the June LSAT, take it. If you don't like your score, retake in October. Apply for Fall 2014. During the winter/spring, you can then pass the Patent Bar before law school, giving you an advantage going in. You could also take an engineering job for a year if you want to.

General +1

If you can prepare for the February test in time (don't take it unless your practice test average is 175+), then take it then. If you can't hit that mark, then prepare for the June test. If that doesn't work, retake. Apply fall 2014. Def. do the patent bar before starting law school--it'll give you a leg up in time for the 1L job search. And try to get some work experience for the next 1.5 years--you'll get money under your belt to pay for law school, and it'll look great at OCI.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”