Details in Education Section - Help?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Skier

Details in Education Section - Help?

Postby Skier » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Realizing I have a lot of questions today.

Can anyone weigh in on the usual way of filling in the education section?

The parts I'm uncertain about are as follows:

For high schools:

1. Is it acceptable to leave both GPA and Rank blank (Canadian high schools do not report this) or should I just put my average and since it was highest among my graduating class(an award indicating this is on my resume), should I put 1 for rank?
2. Degree = high school diploma yes?

For university:

a. Since I am still in my final year of undergrad, should I indicate a degree name or just leave blank?
b. Same problem with GPA as high school although I could put my LSAC GPA if that make sense
c. For Rank I assume this is for american schools which report such data?
d. Does "Institution name" apply only if your university is not listed? My university is listed, just wondering if I should indicate my faculty (Health Sciences, Business etc) in this area?

Feel free to answer any pieces individually that you might know. I guess I just want to be sure I'm not disadvantaging myself if I ignore these fields.

Thanks!

TripTrip

Re: Details in Education Section - Help?

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:47 pm

ACanadian wrote:2. Degree = high school diploma yes?

No. This is not for high school. Law schools don't care about high school. College only.

ACanadian wrote:a. Since I am still in my final year of undergrad, should I indicate a degree name or just leave blank?
b. Same problem with GPA as high school although I could put my LSAC GPA if that make sense
c. For Rank I assume this is for american schools which report such data?
d. Does "Institution name" apply only if your university is not listed? My university is listed, just wondering if I should indicate my faculty (Health Sciences, Business etc) in this area?

a. Degree you will have
b. Current uGPA
c. Honors?
d. Only if not listed

Skier

Postby Skier » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:55 pm

TripTrip wrote:No. This is not for high school. Law schools don't care about high school. College only.

Thanks for the quick response. When you mean don't care you're referring to listing a degree under high school right?

Because I'm viewing Yale's application right now and it seems to have high school listed in the drop-down menu which to me suggests you have to at least list where you went to high school?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Ah - the only reason it's on there is because it's on LSAC's common application. Yale (most likely) won't actually include it on the final application. Even if they do, you can just leave the high school GPA blank.

annet

Postby annet » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:17 pm

ACanadian wrote:
TripTrip wrote:No. This is not for high school. Law schools don't care about high school. College only.

Thanks for the quick response. When you mean don't care you're referring to listing a degree under high school right?

Because I'm viewing Yale's application right now and it seems to have high school listed in the drop-down menu which to me suggests you have to at least list where you went to high school?

TripTrip is correct. If a school does want you to include high school (two or three that I applied to did, all public, I'm pretty sure because it can help them determine residency) then it won't let you click through and complete the section until you add it.

Skier

Postby Skier » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:33 pm

annet wrote:
ACanadian wrote:

TripTrip is correct. If a school does want you to include high school (two or three that I applied to did, all public, I'm pretty sure because it can help them determine residency) then it won't let you click through and complete the section until you add it.

Gotcha. Thanks for the help both of you.

SumStalwart

Postby SumStalwart » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:27 am

What if I have taken credits at other universities while I was attending my "main" one? Do I have to list my GPA at each respective one? My major at each one (even if I didn't have one)?

I simply listed the school, and the dates that I attended. I didn't think that the other information was relevant.

Thanks for your insight!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:28 am

SumStalwart wrote:What if I have taken credits at other universities while I was attending my "main" one? Do I have to list my GPA at each respective one? My major at each one (even if I didn't have one)?

I simply listed the school, and the dates that I attended. I didn't think that the other information was relevant.

Thanks for your insight!

You should be fine. That's why those fields aren't required.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”