How to Prepare Early?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ask Me Not

How to Prepare Early?

Postby Ask Me Not » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:32 pm

I am applying for the 2014 entering class, which means in Fall, 2013 I will submit my applications.

I wish to start writing the personal statements for my schools as early as early spring in 2013, but I am not sure how to get the prompts. Any ideas?

Thank you!

TripTrip

Re: How to Prepare Early?

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Ask Me Not wrote:but I am not sure how to get the prompts.

"Pleast attach a statement of about two pages describing important or unusual aspects of yourself not otherwise apparent in your application."

"Part of your application is the separate personal statement in which you may discuss any matter you feel is relevant to our admission decision. The choice of subject is left to you, but our desire is to learn something about you that we may not be able to learn from the other elements of the application. Try to limit your statement to two pages and use double spacing and at least 11 point font."

There you go. That's all the variety exhibited by the prompts.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Ask Me Not wrote:I am applying for the 2014 entering class, which means in Fall, 2013 I will submit my applications.

I wish to start writing the personal statements for my schools as early as early spring in 2013, but I am not sure how to get the prompts. Any ideas?

Thank you!

study for and take the LSAT before anything
I am also entering in the Fall of 2014 and I have been 2 months into my LSAT studying. LSAT is more important than personal statements.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:44 pm

Go to each school's admissions site. I would channel all my energy into more important things, like the LSAT, however

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:51 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ask Me Not

Postby Ask Me Not » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:01 pm

Trout et al wrote:Go to each school's admissions site. I would channel all my energy into more important things, like the LSAT, however

Thank you for the suggestion on LSAT.

Yes, I have been studying for LSAT intensively for the past three months and will continue till my real test next year.

Ask Me Not

Postby Ask Me Not » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 pm

rebexness wrote:I made a nerdy little spreadsheet with the prompt, any length requirements, and any Why X? essay information for the schools I plan on applying to.

They don't tend to change, so researching now will get you on your way. Personally, I'm testing June 13 and using the summer following the test to write my PS. I have been jotting down ideas as I come up with them.

Love your spreadsheet idea!!!! Maybe I can try it, too.

I am taking the October one, so I plan to have all my PS drafts done by June, and then final drafts after my October LSAT. How interesting to have different plans.

BTW, did you get the prompts from your law schools' admission websites? Or do we get them only when we open the actual application on LSAC?

Thank you!

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:13 pm

Ask Me Not wrote:did you get the prompts from your law schools' admission websites? Or do we get them only when we open the actual application on LSAC?

There are no personal statement prompts. You write approximately ONE personal statement. See here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/guide-to ... ments.html

The optional essays may be what you are talking about.

rebexness

Postby rebexness » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Last edited by rebexness on Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:40 pm

Hence "approximately." You should write one good personal statement, then modify it slightly depending on the school.

By and large, the requirements for each school are almost identical.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:31 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 pm

wert3813 wrote:
rebexness wrote:
UNC:
Carolina Law requires that each applicant submit a personal statement. The personal statement provides prospective students an opportunity to share their perspectives on a number of specified topics. Please refer to the application for specific information regarding the personal statement requirement and the topics to be addressed. The personal statement should be double spaced and no less than 10 point type. The allowable number of pages is four total for the required questions and two pages total for the optional questions, for a possible maximum personal statement length of six pages total.

???

As in, University of North Carolina Law School.

(http://www.law.unc.edu/admissions/apply ... fault.aspx)

blueruditio

Postby blueruditio » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:40 pm

TripTrip wrote:Hence "approximately." You should write one good personal statement, then modify it slightly depending on the school.

By and large, the requirements for each school are almost identical.

This. Make one statement, and adjust the length. You can find the optional essay prompts on the school websites; they are not likely to change.

I took the June and October LSAT, and I submitted all of my applications one week after taking the October LSAT. Finish your personal statements in the summer, and have the individuals writing your LORs submit them in September. If you are just taking the June LSAT, have everything ready to go in September.

wert3813

Postby wert3813 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:47 pm

Last edited by wert3813 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

macnut2012

Postby macnut2012 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:39 am

A personal statement really depends on the school. School A will often ask for something completely different from School B. With that said, a personal statement should not read like a resume. Your resume shows the things you've done and how well you supposedly did them. Basically a resume is meant to brag about your success.

You should not do this in a personal statement. Rather, your personal statement should make the reader infer that you are creative and successful without you directly saying it. It has to be well written and expressive. Try to share what makes you unique from the other 900 people who applied. Don't quote Maya Angelou or other people who often get quoted. You can bet that admissions has already seen this and will roll their eyes once they start your essay.

When a school allows you to choose you're topic, that can be the toughest. :roll: Think about a personal experience that has helped shape you. Write about an expierence you had and what it was like for you ... whether it be competing in a sports match or becoming friends who someone who means alot to you. It shouldn't read clique and you can leave the ending open ended if the experience calls for it. The goal is to show admissions you're thinking process and something unique about yourself.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:56 am

JFC
Just write a semi-decent 2 page personal statement about why you want to be a lawyer, what you want to do after law school, or something really cool you did/happened to you that makes you unique (try not to come off as an entitled snow flake).
And remember, nothing says "admit me" more than a high LSAT/GPA

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:58 am

I'd like to echo the sentiment that you should be more focused on just getting a two-page generic statement down first, and then just tailoring that statement to specific schools once you're ready to submit. It takes a surprisingly little amount of time to do. I actually tried writing a separate statement for a school I was particularly interested in and found that my original statement was much better. It just makes more sense to focus all of your editorial and creative power in one place.

Also, keep it as simple as possible while you're studying for the LSAT. Having to take an extra week to submit apps because you put off some of the writing tasks until the end of October is much better than having to wait until January because you have to retake in December. If I were you, I'd seriously consider aiming for June, but if not then know that all of your eggs are in the same basket.

Ugh, scooped by dingbat. Do you never sleep?

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:05 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Ugh, scooped by dingbat. Do you never sleep?

Generally from about 11-12 to 5-6. But I've never needed more than about 6 hours

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”