Failed Choir Class?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Failed Choir Class?

Postby superhopefulwoo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:57 am

In the same quarter I made a hardship withdrawal, I was not able to technically withdraw from choir but because it is solely based on attendance and I could not go, it was technically a 'fail' from what I can tell. This is the only poor grade I've received and I am writing an addendum for this quarter/year in regards to the withdrawal and grades. Since then I maintained a 3.67 overall gpa and got deans list each year till graduation. Should I mention the choir class with my withdrawals or just kind of leave that as something they can assume was affected since it is in the same time as my HWs?

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:11 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:In the same quarter I made a hardship withdrawal, I was not able to technically withdraw from choir but because it is solely based on attendance and I could not go, it was technically a 'fail' from what I can tell. This is the only poor grade I've received and I am writing an addendum for this quarter/year in regards to the withdrawal and grades. Since then I maintained a 3.67 overall gpa and got deans list each year till graduation. Should I mention the choir class with my withdrawals or just kind of leave that as something they can assume was affected since it is in the same time as my HWs?

Hardship withdrawals usually work as all or nothing. You should have a non-failing withdrawal from every class you were enrolled in. You might want to check on that with your school immediately. No such thing as "technically failing." You either got a grade (including 0.00 for WF and not passing a pass/fail) or you got nothing (passing and W w/o grade count as nothing).

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby superhopefulwoo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:15 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:In the same quarter I made a hardship withdrawal, I was not able to technically withdraw from choir but because it is solely based on attendance and I could not go, it was technically a 'fail' from what I can tell. This is the only poor grade I've received and I am writing an addendum for this quarter/year in regards to the withdrawal and grades. Since then I maintained a 3.67 overall gpa and got deans list each year till graduation. Should I mention the choir class with my withdrawals or just kind of leave that as something they can assume was affected since it is in the same time as my HWs?

Hardship withdrawals usually work as all or nothing. You should have a non-failing withdrawal from every class you were enrolled in. You might want to check on that with your school immediately. No such thing as "technically failing." You either got a grade (including 0.00 for WF and not passing a pass/fail) or you got nothing (passing and W w/o grade count as nothing).



My HWs went through and I did not fail. It seems I have .07 that counts as a ".49" or below in that one quarter because the choir counted as a fail because the admin didn't include it in my HW for some reason. It didn't really affect my GPA though.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:16 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:In the same quarter I made a hardship withdrawal, I was not able to technically withdraw from choir but because it is solely based on attendance and I could not go, it was technically a 'fail' from what I can tell. This is the only poor grade I've received and I am writing an addendum for this quarter/year in regards to the withdrawal and grades. Since then I maintained a 3.67 overall gpa and got deans list each year till graduation. Should I mention the choir class with my withdrawals or just kind of leave that as something they can assume was affected since it is in the same time as my HWs?

Hardship withdrawals usually work as all or nothing. You should have a non-failing withdrawal from every class you were enrolled in. You might want to check on that with your school immediately. No such thing as "technically failing." You either got a grade (including 0.00 for WF and not passing a pass/fail) or you got nothing (passing and W w/o grade count as nothing).



My HWs went through and I did not fail. It seems I have .07 that counts as a ".49" or below in that one quarter because the choir counted as a fail because the admin didn't include it in my HW for some reason. It didn't really affect my GPA though.
You contact the school and you get that one class fixed retroactively. Duh.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:19 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:In the same quarter I made a hardship withdrawal, I was not able to technically withdraw from choir but because it is solely based on attendance and I could not go, it was technically a 'fail' from what I can tell. This is the only poor grade I've received and I am writing an addendum for this quarter/year in regards to the withdrawal and grades. Since then I maintained a 3.67 overall gpa and got deans list each year till graduation. Should I mention the choir class with my withdrawals or just kind of leave that as something they can assume was affected since it is in the same time as my HWs?

Hardship withdrawals usually work as all or nothing. You should have a non-failing withdrawal from every class you were enrolled in. You might want to check on that with your school immediately. No such thing as "technically failing." You either got a grade (including 0.00 for WF and not passing a pass/fail) or you got nothing (passing and W w/o grade count as nothing).



My HWs went through and I did not fail. It seems I have .07 that counts as a ".49" or below in that one quarter because the choir counted as a fail because the admin didn't include it in my HW for some reason. It didn't really affect my GPA though.

LSAC will make everything affect your GPA. Read this.

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby superhopefulwoo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:20 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:In the same quarter I made a hardship withdrawal, I was not able to technically withdraw from choir but because it is solely based on attendance and I could not go, it was technically a 'fail' from what I can tell. This is the only poor grade I've received and I am writing an addendum for this quarter/year in regards to the withdrawal and grades. Since then I maintained a 3.67 overall gpa and got deans list each year till graduation. Should I mention the choir class with my withdrawals or just kind of leave that as something they can assume was affected since it is in the same time as my HWs?

Hardship withdrawals usually work as all or nothing. You should have a non-failing withdrawal from every class you were enrolled in. You might want to check on that with your school immediately. No such thing as "technically failing." You either got a grade (including 0.00 for WF and not passing a pass/fail) or you got nothing (passing and W w/o grade count as nothing).



My HWs went through and I did not fail. It seems I have .07 that counts as a ".49" or below in that one quarter because the choir counted as a fail because the admin didn't include it in my HW for some reason. It didn't really affect my GPA though.

LSAC will make everything affect your GPA. Read this.



Would I have to fix it then RESEND my transcripts? Could I just explain this was an admin issue? I'd like to turn in my apps tonight or tomorrow.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:Would I have to fix it then RESEND my transcripts? Could I just explain this was an admin issue? I'd like to turn in my apps tonight or tomorrow.


Do it right the first time, but if you're already good on numbers, then that's your call.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:25 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:Would I have to fix it then RESEND my transcripts? Could I just explain this was an admin issue? I'd like to turn in my apps tonight or tomorrow.
LSAC takes your transcripts as they get them. They're not going to change something just because you say it was a mistake. If you want it fixed, you have to get your school to fix it on your record and resubmit your transcripts to LSAC.

User avatar
oaken
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:27 am

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby oaken » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:27 am

this is like your third thread about these goddamn addenda man

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:29 am

Does LSAC have your transcripts and your apps are ready to go now?

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby superhopefulwoo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:33 am

oaken wrote:this is like your third thread about these goddamn addenda man



my bad. i'm a little obsessed with that aspect because no one's really responded to my other one and I just want to get it right during my application. And yes - everything is ready to go.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:
oaken wrote:this is like your third thread about these goddamn addenda man



my bad. i'm a little obsessed with that aspect because no one's really responded to my other one and I just want to get it right during my application. And yes - everything is ready to go.


It's not going to be changed by tonight or tomorrow for you to submit. Run your GPA through a calculator and see how much you would gain by removing that class and determine whether all this is even worth your time.

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby superhopefulwoo » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:51 am

A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
oaken wrote:this is like your third thread about these goddamn addenda man



my bad. i'm a little obsessed with that aspect because no one's really responded to my other one and I just want to get it right during my application. And yes - everything is ready to go.


It's not going to be changed by tonight or tomorrow for you to submit. Run your GPA through a calculator and see how much you would gain by removing that class and determine whether all this is even worth your time.



I'm actually most concerned about my addendum on the withdrawals. I most likely won't go through the process of 'fixing' this error with the department - I actually tried a couple years ago and they kept forgetting/failing and since my GPA is still strong I'm over it. I'm just wondering if I should mention it with my withdrawal classes in the addendum.

User avatar
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: Failed Choir Class?

Postby A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:59 am

superhopefulwoo wrote:
A → B ⊨ ¬B → ¬A wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
oaken wrote:this is like your third thread about these goddamn addenda man



my bad. i'm a little obsessed with that aspect because no one's really responded to my other one and I just want to get it right during my application. And yes - everything is ready to go.


It's not going to be changed by tonight or tomorrow for you to submit. Run your GPA through a calculator and see how much you would gain by removing that class and determine whether all this is even worth your time.



I'm actually most concerned about my addendum on the withdrawals. I most likely won't go through the process of 'fixing' this error with the department - I actually tried a couple years ago and they kept forgetting/failing and since my GPA is still strong I'm over it. I'm just wondering if I should mention it with my withdrawal classes in the addendum.


If you're below median, or you have some other reason to make them question you like a crime or something, then write one. If your GPA is strong anyway, then you have a strong GPA anyway. I wouldn't freak out.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], idissent, smartmoon, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests