Experiences with strange upward trends?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
IamJosh

Experiences with strange upward trends?

Postby IamJosh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:30 am

I apologize if this particular question has been answered. I did a search but it was a bunch of people saying "I went from a 3.0 to a 3.4!" and that isn't applicable to me. So-- After just finishing fall of junior year, my GPA is a cumulative 3.24. My semester GPA's are as follows:

Freshman: 1.56 (1.56)/3.02 (2.44)
Sophomore: 3.44 (2.88)/3.88 (3.11)
Junior: 3.82 (3.24)/x.xx

I get that upward trends aren't generally a big positive, so that's not what I'm asking about. I'm concerned that my freshman GPA may be so low and strange that an addendum would be insufficient to explain it and, despite the upward trend, it will be a negative. My PS would be about the personal/familial struggles I overcame to get into my UG and how they carried over into freshman year to create another hurdle. (Basically, I was inadequately home schooled and my clinical depression worsened with my academic struggles.)

I feel comfortable that I will graduate with at least a 3.4 GPA (I am URM, but I know will require a solid LSAT regardless for T20) but is there a chance that my 3.4 may be viewed with a cynical eye?

TripTrip

Re: Experiences with strange upward trends?

Postby TripTrip » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:36 am

You need to write something for a 1.56. Leaving it out there alone with no explanation will leave the admission committee wondering what the hell happened.

IamJosh wrote:I'm concerned that my freshman GPA may be so low and strange that an addendum would be insufficient to explain it

Why don't you think it would be sufficient? Is there no reason for the low grades?

IamJosh

Re: Experiences with strange upward trends?

Postby IamJosh » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:32 pm

I mean, so long as depression is considered a reason then there is one. I pretty much just went to class, slept, and did the least amount of homework possible. It wasn't that I didn't take school seriously, I just virtually didn't care about anything and didn't have the self-esteem to believe trying would be productive.

I guess it seems like that's got to be a pretty large chunk of addenda and I'm wondering if it loses effect after a while. Saying I did poorly because I was depressed is a lot different than saying I did poorly because a familiar member died or a close friend got sick, etc. I'm not one to belittle anyone's depression because I know how it can affect people's lives, but I'm not an AdComm and I don't know their general point of view.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”