Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Jacq2212

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby Jacq2212 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:41 pm

All discussion and advice appreciated and taken into consideration. Here's a revised version. I have decided to leave off pansexuality because it is too intimate and I have not done enough within the LGBT community nor has it influenced my life enough to warrant a spot within this short essay. I have experienced discrimination and hate and have struggled to determine my identity, but my identity is not related to the boundaries we live within so it is hard to not only describe that but it does reduce some of the importance. Now that's not going to stop me from advocating for same sex rights as I have with my votes and through my future career, but it's not completely my story. Take a look at the following everyone and tell me what you think:

I am the daughter of first generation immigrants; my mother is from Germany and my father from Jordan. I have traveled to my parents’ countries and explored the Middle East, visiting both the progressive capital, Amman, as well as my father’s village Al-Karak, where I walked through the stone house he grew up in, still with dirt floors and without plumbing or electricity. I have lived in neighborhoods of various distinct socio-economic levels. I currently live in one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and have gone to a school with one of the highest poverty rates and African American attendance rates in the city. I have also grown up taking tennis lessons at a country club, was a competitive figure skater for many years, and attended school at one of the wealthiest districts in the city. These aspects of my life have exposed me to a wide range of cultures, people, and ways of life. Not only have I observed this, but I have lived in it, made friends and homes within it, and learned to relate to, not just understand people who come from different upbringings. I have spent the last four years working within the community I now live in, organizing efforts to create more positive interactions between neighbors, welcoming and learning from the many refugee communities we have in our neighborhood, and advocating for better health access and nutritional options. These experiences have motivated me to model myself as an individual that crosses boundaries and serve as an example to others.

vpintz

Postby vpintz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:20 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:And what is offensive about using your diversity to educate the world? If anything, we absolutely need people who will be willing to do this, and law schools want diversity for this specific reason - having the student body share each other's perspectives in a way that will contribute to the law school and the community. I believe you are ignorant, yourself, if you don't believe it is important to demonstrate this.

Can you not read? Cinephine said, and I agree,

Cinephile wrote:To expect people to use their diversity to educate others is not only incredibly offensive, but also ignorant.

Emphasis added because clearly it wasn't obvious enough to you. WANTING to educate is wonderful. But people thinking that others are REQUIRED to educate them? Offensive, ignorant, and honestly, just plain lazy. Educate yourself, ffs.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:37 pm

Obviously, I wasn't expecting everyone to educate others. :roll: Did you even read any of what I wrote? The theme of my advice was to be proactive, because it gives your statement more impact. People seem to be missing the whole point in favor of jumping to quick, hurtful conclusions (without giving OP any constructive criticism of their own, might I add).

I don't have any desire to get into a pointless argument with any of you. I don't believe it is your duty (well, actually, I do. As someone who is "diverse," I have always felt it my responsibility to contribute to the open-mindedness of society and the fight for inclusion and equality, but those are my expectations for myself) to educate people on your diversity, but it will certainly strengthen your diversity statement (and isn't that why this thread was created in the first place?). This is OP's thread and I came in to offer her honest advice. I will not be hi-jacking it to pander to your unnecessary, unhelpful accusations. If you aren't going to offer anything of value, I suggest you leave.
Last edited by stuckinthemiddle on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:52 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:All discussion and advice appreciated and taken into consideration. Here's a revised version. I have decided to leave off pansexuality because it is too intimate and I have not done enough within the LGBT community nor has it influenced my life enough to warrant a spot within this short essay. I have experienced discrimination and hate and have struggled to determine my identity, but my identity is not related to the boundaries we live within so it is hard to not only describe that but it does reduce some of the importance. Now that's not going to stop me from advocating for same sex rights as I have with my votes and through my future career, but it's not completely my story. Take a look at the following everyone and tell me what you think:

I am the daughter of first generation immigrants; my mother is from Germany and my father from Jordan. I have traveled to my parents’ countries and explored the Middle East, visiting both the progressive capital, Amman, as well as my father’s village of Al-Karakwhere I walked through the stone house he grew up in, still with dirt floors and without plumbing or electricity [can you add something here about what you learned from the experience? It sounds a bit unnecessary to add without reason.]. In addition, I have lived in neighborhoods of various distinct socio-economic levels. I have lived in one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and have attended a school with one of the highest poverty rates and African American attendance rates in the city. Conversely, I have also grown up taking tennis lessons at a country club, was a competitive figure skater for many years, (what's the point of this?) and have have gone to school at in one of the wealthiest districts in the city (use the name of the city, instead?). These aspects of my life have exposed me to a wide range of cultures, people, and ways of life. Not only have I observed this (observed what?), but I have lived in it, made friends and homes within it, and learned to relate to, not just understand people who come from different upbringings. (Rewrite this statement so it's clearer. What is "it"?) I have spent the last four years working within the community I now live in, organizing efforts to create more positive interactions between neighbors, welcoming and learning from the many refugee communities we have in our neighborhood, and advocating for better health access and nutritional options. These experiences have motivated me to model myself as an individual that crosses boundaries and serve as an example to others. (add a sentence about what you would contribute to law school as well.)

I honestly believe your statement so much more now that you've added the bolded part, and you sound much more impressive as a candidate. Would have been a shame for you to not have let the adcomms know about that. Glad you added this!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”