Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cinephile

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby cinephile » Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:25 pm

cynthiad wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Actually, if you stop trying to bend your back upon itself being "politically correct," you'll note that "checking the URM box" is indeed EXACTLY what OP proposed to do.

Really? Please point to the part where the OP said they were going to check the box for AA, NA, or MA/PR because they were pansexual. Those are the only "URM boxes" that anyone could check.

The OP was asking if they should write a diversity statement. They fact that they included "underrepresented group" in the topic title only indicates they weren't 100% clear on the fact that URM refers to specifically defined groups of people for ls admissions, rather than groups that are discriminated against and/or underrepresented
in general. As this terminology has no bearing on whether or not it's appropriate to write a DS, it makes no sense to infer that OP intended to say they were African American or some other URM category, when they're not, on the basis of being pansexual.

And I'm so sorry that my being "politically correct" is interfering with your being an asshole.

Very well put.

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:00 pm

cynthiad wrote:
manofjustice wrote:Actually, if you stop trying to bend your back upon itself being "politically correct," you'll note that "checking the URM box" is indeed EXACTLY what OP proposed to do.

Really? Please point to the part where the OP said they were going to check the box for AA, NA, or MA/PR because they were pansexual. Those are the only "URM boxes" that anyone could check.

The OP was asking if they should write a diversity statement. They fact that they included "underrepresented group" in the topic title only indicates they weren't 100% clear on the fact that URM refers to specifically defined groups of people for ls admissions, rather than groups that are discriminated against and/or underrepresented
in general. As this terminology has no bearing on whether or not it's appropriate to write a DS, it makes no sense to infer that OP intended to say they were African American or some other URM category, when they're not, on the basis of being pansexual.

And I'm so sorry that my being "politically correct" is interfering with your being an asshole.

You are the politically correct ass hole. And a fuck-tard to boot. The title of the thread is...well just look to the top of your screen and read it. And the OP said "NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual..."

Geeze. I wonder what the fuck OP has in mind? Would the OP be hoping that his status as a member of an "underrepresented group" would give him no metric-independent boost whatsoever?

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:56 pm

manofjustice wrote:
cynthiad wrote:

You are the politically correct ass hole. And a fuck-tard to boot. The title of the thread is...well just look to the top of your screen and read it. And the OP said "NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual..."

Geeze. I wonder what the fuck OP has in mind? Would the OP be hoping that his status as a member of an "underrepresented group" would give him no metric-independent boost whatsoever?

If NYU's app asks for info on applicants being part of underrepresented groups, then that's different than whether or not someone checks a URM box. The fact that NYU uses the word "underrepresented" in asking for diversity statements doesn't mean that they are only asking for people that count as URMs, because otherwise they wouldn't need to ask for diversity statements--they could just look and see if someone checked AA, NA, MA/PR. Unless NYU has specified that they are only looking for people who belong to underrepresented racial and ethnic groups to submit diversity statements, it is completely irrelevant that they happened to use the word "underrepresented" which LSAC also uses to refer to URMs.

URM means a specific thing according to LSAC, and it's defined by whether an applicant is AA, NA or MA/PR, not whether they write a diversity statement. NYU asking for people from underrepresented groups in general to submit diversity statements is different. So someone submitting a DS talking about their (not straight) sexual orientation would count under NYUs definition of underrepresented groups, but would not be a URM as defined by LSAC. It's not that complicated.

You seem to be confusing the fact that writing a DS about being pansexual is not an attempt to get a URM boost (which it isn't. Pansexual is not URM) with not wanting to improve one's chances of getting into law school. Of course everything anyone submits in a ls application is meant to improve their chances of getting in. But someone writing a great PS, getting LORs, putting great internships and WE on their resume, getting a great LSAT score, writing a "Why X" essay, and writing a diversity statement--none of these are an attempt to get a URM boost.

The only thing that gets a URM boost is checking AA, NA or MA/PR.

OP is not planning to falsely check any race/ethnicity boxes. Therefore, OP is not planning to falsely claim URM boost. If OP is in a non- "official URM" group which is nonetheless a minority group--such as being queer--then OP is free to write a DS about that, and it may slightly increase their chances of admission, but it will NOT give them the "URM boost."

Also: What is your obsession with the term "politically correct?" You realize it's just a way of saying "I don't like it when people call me on offensive stuff I say," right?

manofjustice

Postby manofjustice » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:31 pm

NOTHING is offensive about what I said. What is offensive is your presumption that unless I ratify OP's vacuous appeal to a metric-independent preferential recognition, I am offensive.

URM != underrepresented. But they're functionally equivalent. To say otherwise is like saying a home loan is nothing like a car loan because the former has to do with a house. The functional component of "URM" is "UR" not "M."

Let's put it this way. If OP had said: "hey, guys: NYU's app asks 'underrepresented groups' to write a DS. Now, I have no idea if pansexuals are underrepresented, but can I assume, at least, that avowed pansexuals are, given the stigma that still exists to being anything but heterosexual? If so, it took me some serious self-insight and a fair bit of struggle to come to understand I was pansexual, and then to be clear enough about who I am to talk about that to other people. And I am a stronger person for it. There are a lot of details I would like to convey about my struggle to the AdCom. What do you think?"

Then I'd say...go right ahead.

WhiteyCakes

Postby WhiteyCakes » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:39 pm

TIL what pansexuality is...I think.

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:54 pm

lol

if you overcame adversity in spite of it/because of it and it contributes to why you want to pursue a legal education/career, then yes. if you're saying it to just get into the school, no.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 pm

manofjustice wrote:URM != underrepresented […] The functional component of "URM" is "UR" not "M."

I literally do not understand how you put these two sentences together without your head exploding.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:04 pm

serious question, what would the opposite of pansexual then? I find myself attracted to only how people look and am wondering if I can write a diversity statement on this. Am I a URM? Are there people like me in the world?

Edit: Since good-natured trolling is being mistaken for insensitivity ITT (although there is nothing wrong with being insensitive IMO), I would just like to state that I am not insensitive to people affiliating as pansexuals and have always been a supporter of the LGBT+P community.
Last edited by TheThriller on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 pm

manofjustice wrote:NOTHING is offensive about what I said. What is offensive is your presumption that unless I ratify OP's vacuous appeal to a metric-independent preferential recognition, I am offensive.

Dude, what you said was not necessarily offensive, just ignorant. Nobody said this person should misrepresent themselves as belonging to a racial/ethnic group if that is not the case. The OP was interested in hearing opinions as to whether this aspect of their identity was worth explaining in an essay. While you may disagree with that, you need to recognize that this is a totally separate issue from checking off a box claiming that you are AA, MA, PR,or NA. I hope this clears up your confusion.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:00 pm

manofjustice wrote:NOTHING is offensive about what I said. What is offensive is your presumption that unless I ratify OP's vacuous appeal to a metric-independent preferential recognition, I am offensive.

URM != underrepresented. But they're functionally equivalent. To say otherwise is like saying a home loan is nothing like a car loan because the former has to do with a house. The functional component of "URM" is "UR" not "M."

Let's put it this way. If OP had said: "hey, guys: NYU's app asks 'underrepresented groups' to write a DS. Now, I have no idea if pansexuals are underrepresented, but can I assume, at least, that avowed pansexuals are, given the stigma that still exists to being anything but heterosexual? If so, it took me some serious self-insight and a fair bit of struggle to come to understand I was pansexual, and then to be clear enough about who I am to talk about that to other people. And I am a stronger person for it. There are a lot of details I would like to convey about my struggle to the AdCom. What do you think?"

I'm confused now. You started off by saying that because you weren't familiar with the term "pansexual," the OP wasn't justified in mentioning it in a diversity statement. Now you say that it's OK if OP writes a diversity statement about being pansexual, as long as they follow the format of every decent diversity statement ever. It seems to me like you're just backtracking. If this actually was your original position, I wish you would have said this from the beginning.

At no point did I say that OP should simply write a "vacuous appeal to a metric-independent preferential recognition" or that you should "ratify" that. What I found offensive was your implication that pansexuality was somehow not a legitimate sexual orientation or subject of a diversity statement, and that by using a term for their sexuality that you were unfamiliar with, the OP had done something wrong. The OP was asking if pansexuality was an OK subject for a DS, given that homosexuality, bisexuality and being non-gender conforming ARE considered OK subjects, but pansexuality is less well known. It's perfectly understandable that one would want to know if pansexuality is an OK subject for a DS at all before writing out the actual DS.

If you were actually under the impression that OP was planning to write a three-word diversity statement that only read "I am pansexual," why didn't you just ask whether the OP planned to write a real diversity statement (which you now say you're totally fine with) or simply a sentence telling the adcomm what their sexual orientation was?

Also, you're statements about URMs and "underrepresented" are contradictory. Maybe I should clarify what I meant. In common speech, the term "underrepresented minority" refers to ANY minority which is underrepresented. In terms of LSAC, "URM" refers to four SPECIFIC underrepresented minorities, AA, NA, MA, PR, and not any other underrepresented minorities. There are other groups, whether ethnic/racial, religious, socioeconomic status, sexual orientation or gender based, which are underrepresented and/or discriminated against in this country or in the legal profession, but they do not receive the "URM boost." Thus, all URM's are underrepresented, but not all underrepresented groups are URM's.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:09 pm

TheThriller wrote:serious question, what would the opposite of pansexual then? I find myself attracted to only how people look and am wondering if I can write a diversity statement on this. Am I a URM? Are there people like me in the world?

Edit: Since good-natured trolling is being mistaken for insensitivity ITT (although there is nothing wrong with being insensitive IMO), I would just like to state that I am not insensitive to people affiliating as pansexuals and have always been a supporter of the LGBT+P community.

Serious answer: probably asexual is the opposite of pansexual. I don't know if you can really draw distinctions of opposites with sexuality though--it can be really complicated. You could have someone who is pansexual, but has a low sexual drive and is attracted to very few people.

Not serious answer: I don't know if there's a word for attraction based on looks--shallow? ;-)
Maybe formasexual? venustasexual? Somehow I doubt that being attracted to people based on looks is a condition that's underrepresented though--I'm afraid you're in the majority. Have you ever been discriminated against for this terrible condition of only being attracted to hot people? :wink:

suralin
better than you

Postby suralin » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:34 pm

manofjustice wrote:URM != underrepresented. But they're functionally equivalent. To say otherwise is like saying a home loan is nothing like a car loan because the former has to do with a house. The functional component of "URM" is "UR" not "M."

The fuck? It's ridiculous how much you're strawmanning ITT. Either you do realize that OP, in genuinely asking for advice, is not maliciously trying to get a URM boost qua ethnicity/race--by the way, as cynthiad noted, I hope you can comprehend the fact that trying to be admitted, when lacking deceit, is much of the point of spending time compiling applications (e.g., "Why X?" statements)--or you really do not realize that and think OP's intention is just to write a one-sentence DS and somehow "check off" the URM box. If the former, you're a troll, and not a particularly good one either. If the latter, you seriously lack reasoning skills and are moving the "goalposts"/strawmanning so hard it's laughable.

oaken

Postby oaken » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 pm

my favorite part about this thread is that the OP hasn't posted anything aside from the original post

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:09 pm

manofjustice wrote:"Underrepresented" means your class of people have been so oppressed that they're the proper target of affirmative action and just your being a competitive applicant for law school represents a triumph over a historical evil.

No, that is not what the word "underrepresented" means. Additionally, this is dangerously close to debating the merits of AA.

@OP: It doesn't matter whether pansexuals are underrepresented or not. It's a DS and being pansexual makes you diverse. Talk about being pansexual and/or any other things that make you diverse in your DS.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:15 pm

oaken wrote:my favorite part about this thread is that the OP hasn't posted anything aside from the original post

I like how people's lack of knowledge about pansexuality reminds me of my response to it when I first heard about it some years ago "Is that some sort of kitchenware fetish?"

Jacq2212

Postby Jacq2212 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 pm

So, I'm jumping off the cliff here by writing something I've written. Sorry I haven't actively gotten into the back and forth, I found it more entertaining to watch. Thanks to those of you who provided some advice. The following is written in response to optional essays that range from: "Describe how your background or experiences will enhance the diversity of the Penn Law community (e.g., based on your culture, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ideology, age, socioeconomic status, academic background, employment, or personal experience)." To "How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession?" To "New York University School of Law seeks to enroll a student body from a broad spectrum of society, including members of groups underrepresented in the profession as well as persons who have experienced socio-economic and/or educational disadvantage. Please attach a brief statement describing aspects of this identity that are relevant to your application."

Here's what I've written thus far:

I am the daughter of first generation immigrants; my mother is from Germany and my father from Jordan. I have traveled to my parents’ countries and explored the Middle East, visiting both the progressive capital, Amman, as well as my father’s village Al-Karak, where I walked through the stone house he grew up in, still with dirt floors and without plumbing or electricity. I have lived in neighborhoods of four distinct socio-economic levels. I currently live in one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and have gone to a school with one of the highest poverty rates and African American attendance rates in the city. I have also grown up taking tennis lessons at a country club, and attended school at one of the wealthiest districts in the city. These aspects of my life have exposed me to a wide range of cultures, people, and ways of life. Not only have I observed this, but I have lived in it, made friends and homes within it, and learned to relate, not just understand people who come from different upbringings.
In college, I struggled with my sexual identity. Not identifying as straight, but neither identifying as gay, I experienced discrimination both from the heterosexual community as well as the homosexual community who assumed I was either in a phase or taking advantage of straight privilege. Coming to terms as a pansexual individual, identifying as someone who is attracted to not only men or women, but a variety of gender expressions and identities allowed me to experience another spectrum where people normally perceive two distinct points. This experience combined with my upbringing have shown me that discrimination and judgment can occur within any group and have motivated me to model myself as an individual that crosses boundaries and serve as an example to others.

SnowyMobs

Postby SnowyMobs » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:19 pm

Last edited by SnowyMobs on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oaken

Postby oaken » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:31 pm

OP tbh I don't think your addendum adds anything at all as written. The only thing you say is that you "experienced discrimination" without any detail or real explanation of how it sets you apart or contributed to your decision to go to law school or anything. Just "I am pansexual and have experienced discrimination". I would either make it meaningful and personal or just skip it all together.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:06 am

Advice Dog wrote:I hate law school.

This x10000

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:12 am

oaken wrote:OP tbh I don't think your addendum adds anything at all as written. The only thing you say is that you "experienced discrimination" without any detail or real explanation of how it sets you apart or contributed to your decision to go to law school or anything. Just "I am pansexual and have experienced discrimination". I would either make it meaningful and personal or just skip it all together.

This goes for any kind of explanation over how any group has faced discrimination. With writing it is better to show through writing.

SnowyMobs

Postby SnowyMobs » Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:31 am

Last edited by SnowyMobs on Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:06 am

Further trolling of this thread will result in bans.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:21 am

Jacq2212 wrote:So, I'm jumping off the cliff here by writing something I've written. Sorry I haven't actively gotten into the back and forth, I found it more entertaining to watch. Thanks to those of you who provided some advice. The following is written in response to optional essays that range from: "Describe how your background or experiences will enhance the diversity of the Penn Law community (e.g., based on your culture, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ideology, age, socioeconomic status, academic background, employment, or personal experience)." To "How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession?" To "New York University School of Law seeks to enroll a student body from a broad spectrum of society, including members of groups underrepresented in the profession as well as persons who have experienced socio-economic and/or educational disadvantage. Please attach a brief statement describing aspects of this identity that are relevant to your application."

I am the daughter of first generation immigrants; my mother is from Germany and my father from Jordan. I have traveled to my parents’ countries and explored the Middle East, visiting both the progressive capital, Amman, as well as my father’s village Al-Karak, where I walked through the stone house he grew up in, still with dirt floors and without plumbing or electricity. I have lived in neighborhoods of four distinct socio-economic levels. I currently live in one of the poorest neighborhoods in the city and have gone to a school with one of the highest poverty rates and African American attendance rates in the city. I have also grown up taking tennis lessons at a country club, and attended school at one of the wealthiest districts in the city. These aspects of my life have exposed me to a wide range of cultures, people, and ways of life. Not only have I observed this, but I have lived in it, made friends and homes within it, and learned to relate, not just understand people who come from different upbringings.
In college, I struggled with my sexual identity. Not identifying as straight, but neither identifying as gay, I experienced discrimination both from the heterosexual community as well as the homosexual community who assumed I was either in a phase or taking advantage of straight privilege. Coming to terms as a pansexual individual, identifying as someone who is attracted to not only men or women, but a variety of gender expressions and identities allowed me to experience another spectrum where people normally perceive two distinct points. This experience combined with my upbringing have shown me that discrimination and judgment can occur within any group and have motivated me to model myself as an individual that crosses boundaries and serve as an example to others.

I wouldn't submit this. You have made no PROACTIVE efforts to use your diversity to better the lives of others, and the community in general. Saying "I observed this... I am this... I witnessed this" is so much less impressive than "I did this... I formed this... I led this..."

I am a strong believer that, in terms of non-URM diversity, the adcomms are looking more at how you responded to your diversity (or discrimination, or experiences) in a proactive way that will make you an effective law student. For example, did you start an organization to educate others on Jordan/Germany culture? Or did you volunteer at organizations trying to bridge the rich-poor gap? Or did you actively fight for gay rights? Simply saying you are [some sort of minority] will add nothing (unless you are a URM).

I am also a bit turned off because you are trying to add too much to this. I feel like you're trying to throw everything and the kitchen sink at me. If you really want to write this, I'd pick the aspect of diversity that has meant the most to you, that has contributed most to your growth, and has spurred you to the most TANGIBLE ACTION. That will come off way more sincere and less like "omg look how diverse I am please let me innn."

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:44 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:
Jacq2212 wrote:So, I'm jumping off the cliff here by writing something I've written. Sorry I haven't actively gotten into the back and forth, I found it more entertaining to watch. Thanks to those of you who provided some advice. The following is written in response to optional essays that range from: "Describe how your background or experiences will enhance the diversity of the Penn Law community (e.g., based on your culture, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, ideology, age, socioeconomic status, academic background, employment, or personal experience)." To "How might your perspectives and experiences enrich the quality and breadth of the intellectual life of our community or enhance the legal profession?" To "New York University School of Law seeks to enroll a student body from a broad spectrum of society, including members of groups underrepresented in the profession as well as persons who have experienced socio-economic and/or educational disadvantage. Please attach a brief statement describing aspects of this identity that are relevant to your application."

I wouldn't submit this. You have made no PROACTIVE efforts to use your diversity to better the lives of others, and the community in general. Saying "I observed this... I am this... I witnessed this" is so much less impressive than "I did this... I formed this... I led this..."

I am a strong believer that, in terms of non-URM diversity, the adcomms are looking more at how you responded to your diversity (or discrimination, or experiences) in a proactive way that will make you an effective law student. For example, did you start an organization to educate others on Jordan/Germany culture? Or did you volunteer at organizations trying to bridge the rich-poor gap? Or did you actively fight for gay rights? Simply saying you are [some sort of minority] will add nothing (unless you are a URM).

I am also a bit turned off because you are trying to add too much to this. I feel like you're trying to throw everything and the kitchen sink at me. If you really want to write this, I'd pick the aspect of diversity that has meant the most to you, that has contributed most to your growth, and has spurred you to the most TANGIBLE ACTION. That will come off way more sincere and less like "omg look how diverse I am please let me innn."

It's so great to have an admissions officer here to share their vast knowledge about the purposes of a diversity statement. Where exactly did you get your beliefs as to what adcoms want?

To the person who wrote it. Flesh it out a bit more because I'd agree that it doesn't seem ready, but you absolutely don't need to use your diversity to educate others or change the world or do anything proactive at all. To expect people to use their diversity to educate others is not only incredibly offensive, but also ignorant. I wrote mine on how I started kindergarten without speaking a word of English and all my classmates thought I was a deaf-mute. And how, despite learning English quickly, that experience kind of chilled me from speaking up in class and how I didn't get over that until college. I think my DS was successful as I was accepted everywhere, but I started zero organizations and helped no one other than myself. But at least I could show how my diversity changed me as a person.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:56 am

I actually spoke to an adcomm. That's how I got my perspective of things. I wouldn't be giving my advice if I felt just as in the dark.

And being proactive doesn't always have to be about helping others. Learning a language is as proactive as it gets. What I meant to say was that if you sift through this diversity statement, the OP hasn't done anything specific or tangible at all in terms of his/her diversity. Everything is a reaction, and there is no action on his/her part. Simply saying "I am a [minority]" is not as powerful as saying "I am a [minority], I've done [X] to address my struggle, and I am a better candidate for law school because of having done [X]."

And what is offensive about using your diversity to educate the world? If anything, we absolutely need people who will be willing to do this, and law schools want diversity for this specific reason - having the student body share each other's perspectives in a way that will contribute to the law school and the community. I believe you are ignorant, yourself, if you don't believe it is important to demonstrate this.

Instead of being offensive, why not give OP some constructive criticism? I am quite sure that saying "flesh it out" and adding your inkling that your DS may have been successful are of minimal help.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”