Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
Jacq2212
Posts: 117
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby Jacq2212 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:23 pm

I tried searching for where this was discussed and I have read a lot about whether to come out as gay or not on application forms, generally the response to which is yes, however, I don't identify as gay, straight, or necessarily bisexual. I don't like labeling myself, but if I have to I'd say pansexual, which says that I am attracted to people based on factors other than their sex or gender identity.....

NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual since there is a lot of misunderstanding around the topic or if I submit an additional attachment to explain my interest and how that relates to my interest in gender and sexuality and the law, would it work? Thanks!

User avatar
WhiteyCakes
Posts: 1390
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:38 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby WhiteyCakes » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:I tried searching for where this was discussed and I have read a lot about whether to come out as gay or not on application forms, generally the response to which is yes, however, I don't identify as gay, straight, or necessarily bisexual. I don't like labeling myself, but if I have to I'd say pansexual, which says that I am attracted to people based on factors other than their sex or gender identity.....

NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual since there is a lot of misunderstanding around the topic or if I submit an additional attachment to explain my interest and how that relates to my interest in gender and sexuality and the law, would it work? Thanks!


Not to be insensitive or ignorant, but isn't this just glorified bisexuality? Nobody only looks at gender, otherwise people would never be single

User avatar
howlery
Posts: 393
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:17 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby howlery » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:58 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:
Jacq2212 wrote:I tried searching for where this was discussed and I have read a lot about whether to come out as gay or not on application forms, generally the response to which is yes, however, I don't identify as gay, straight, or necessarily bisexual. I don't like labeling myself, but if I have to I'd say pansexual, which says that I am attracted to people based on factors other than their sex or gender identity.....

NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual since there is a lot of misunderstanding around the topic or if I submit an additional attachment to explain my interest and how that relates to my interest in gender and sexuality and the law, would it work? Thanks!


Not to be insensitive or ignorant, but isn't this just glorified bisexuality? Nobody only looks at gender, otherwise people would never be single


Eh, its best not to kick that hornet's nest. I also find it difficult to comprehend even as a homosexual, but there is quite a bit of recognition of several forms of alternative orientations (and non-orientations I suppose) among respected and highly cited academics.

NYU would probably not care or just consider you a not-straight applicant. In any case, it really depends on the content of the DS. If you can associate your pansexuality with themes they are familiar with (i.e. overcoming adversity, self-discovery, maturity, perseverance, etc.) then I'm sure it'll be fine. Though I'm absolutely positive NYU law is not particularly thirsty for more gays. Or maybe thats just the undergrad.

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby rvadog » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:47 pm

WhiteyCakes wrote:Not to be insensitive or ignorant, but isn't this just glorified bisexuality? Nobody only looks at gender, otherwise people would never be single


You may not only look at gender but I imagine it's at the top of your list. For me, attraction is a flow chart. If the person of interest is female I move on to the next step, if not then the process ends. I would imagine OP doesn't have gender in their flow chart.

How this is different from bisexuality, I'm not sure.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby cynthiad » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:26 pm

rvadog wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Not to be insensitive or ignorant, but isn't this just glorified bisexuality? Nobody only looks at gender, otherwise people would never be single


You may not only look at gender but I imagine it's at the top of your list. For me, attraction is a flow chart. If the person of interest is female I move on to the next step, if not then the process ends. I would imagine OP doesn't have gender in their flow chart.

How this is different from bisexuality, I'm not sure.


Bisexuality is attraction to two genders (male and female)
Pansexuality is attraction regardless of gender, including people who do not conform to the gender binary (i.e. do not identify as strictly male or female). It is a more inclusive term.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12715
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby LeDique » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:27 pm

rvadog wrote:
WhiteyCakes wrote:Not to be insensitive or ignorant, but isn't this just glorified bisexuality? Nobody only looks at gender, otherwise people would never be single


You may not only look at gender but I imagine it's at the top of your list. For me, attraction is a flow chart. If the person of interest is female I move on to the next step, if not then the process ends. I would imagine OP doesn't have gender in their flow chart.

How this is different from bisexuality, I'm not sure.


bisexual conforms to the binary model of sex/gender. pansexual does not (ie: intersex, transsexual, etc.)

scooped.

But with respect to OP, I think it's certainly possible to write an effective DS on the topic depending on what you want to write. I think the responses indicate the lack of understanding that's generally present on the issue and would certainly justify a statement about gender/sexuality/law.

User avatar
lzyovrachievr
Posts: 1695
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:24 am

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby lzyovrachievr » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:40 am

I'm going to go with not putting pansexual on your application. Mostly because I'd worry about the reaction of people reading it being something akin to "WhiteyCakes" reaction.

The second reason would be because when they read DSs, they don't want to read a statement about your opinions, but rather one your experiences. The way you've presented it makes it sound more like an essay and less like a statement. If you have the background work or experience to make this a viable topic, then you just have to worry about the first part.

User avatar
stuckinthemiddle
Posts: 312
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:24 am

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:00 am

Have you ever done anything specific that relates to your sexuality? I don't think law schools are interested in your sexuality per se, but how it contributed to your growth and how you used it to make a positive impact on society. If your whole schtick is just "let me in because my sexuality is unique" then I would definitely leave it out.

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby Lawquacious » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:03 am

ug

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby sabanist » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:37 pm

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Have you ever done anything specific that relates to your sexuality? I don't think law schools are interested in your sexuality per se, but how it contributed to your growth and how you used it to make a positive impact on society. If your whole schtick is just "let me in because my sexuality is unique" then I would definitely leave it out.

This. I'm pansexual too, and I usually refer to myself as "queer" when discussing it. I wrote my DS about how feeling alienated by both homophobia (grew up in the deep south) and the LGBT community (there's a reason people have no idea what being pansexual means) affected me and enabled me to become stronger in a way that is relevant to the career I want to pursue. I also talked about reforming a student group to become more inclusive, and I think including a concrete example of how your sexuality has impacted you and the people around you is important.

I just got accepted to my dream school, so it's clearly not a dealbreaker by any means.
OP, PM me if you want me to share my DS and talk about this a little more in-depth.

kmap
Posts: 89
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 am

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby kmap » Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:55 pm

I know a guy who got into a T-14 with exactly this type of diversity statement (using the term "pansexual"). However, he did have a bunch of stuff to back it up like founding some clubs/organizations that educated people on sexual diversity and sexual health issues, etc. I think it can be done as long as you're smart about it.

User avatar
cahwc12
Posts: 941
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:16 pm

sabanist wrote:
stuckinthemiddle wrote:Have you ever done anything specific that relates to your sexuality? I don't think law schools are interested in your sexuality per se, but how it contributed to your growth and how you used it to make a positive impact on society. If your whole schtick is just "let me in because my sexuality is unique" then I would definitely leave it out.

This. I'm pansexual too, and I usually refer to myself as "queer" when discussing it. I wrote my DS about how feeling alienated by both homophobia (grew up in the deep south) and the LGBT community (there's a reason people have no idea what being pansexual means) affected me and enabled me to become stronger in a way that is relevant to the career I want to pursue. I also talked about reforming a student group to become more inclusive, and I think including a concrete example of how your sexuality has impacted you and the people around you is important.

I just got accepted to my dream school, so it's clearly not a dealbreaker by any means.
OP, PM me if you want me to share my DS and talk about this a little more in-depth.


I consider myself in that group of ignorant people. Can you explain to me what the difference is between "Bi" and "Pansexual"?

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby vpintz » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:18 pm

cahwc12 wrote:
sabanist wrote:
stuckinthemiddle wrote:Have you ever done anything specific that relates to your sexuality? I don't think law schools are interested in your sexuality per se, but how it contributed to your growth and how you used it to make a positive impact on society. If your whole schtick is just "let me in because my sexuality is unique" then I would definitely leave it out.

This. I'm pansexual too, and I usually refer to myself as "queer" when discussing it. I wrote my DS about how feeling alienated by both homophobia (grew up in the deep south) and the LGBT community (there's a reason people have no idea what being pansexual means) affected me and enabled me to become stronger in a way that is relevant to the career I want to pursue. I also talked about reforming a student group to become more inclusive, and I think including a concrete example of how your sexuality has impacted you and the people around you is important.

I just got accepted to my dream school, so it's clearly not a dealbreaker by any means.
OP, PM me if you want me to share my DS and talk about this a little more in-depth.


I consider myself in that group of ignorant people. Can you explain to me what the difference is between "Bi" and "Pansexual"?

Dude, did you miss the three explanations above? jfc

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:19 pm

Oh god...

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby Drake014 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Jacq2212 wrote:I tried searching for where this was discussed and I have read a lot about whether to come out as gay or not on application forms, generally the response to which is yes, however, I don't identify as gay, straight, or necessarily bisexual. I don't like labeling myself, but if I have to I'd say pansexual, which says that I am attracted to people based on factors other than their sex or gender identity.....

NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual since there is a lot of misunderstanding around the topic or if I submit an additional attachment to explain my interest and how that relates to my interest in gender and sexuality and the law, would it work? Thanks!


I'm not quite sure if this qualifies as underrepresented given the relatively small segment of the population that identifies as pansexual but it certainly would fit for diversity IMO. In the end, like most other things, it depends on what you write and how you write it. Can you write really well on how this has shaped you?

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:44 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Jacq2212 wrote:I tried searching for where this was discussed and I have read a lot about whether to come out as gay or not on application forms, generally the response to which is yes, however, I don't identify as gay, straight, or necessarily bisexual. I don't like labeling myself, but if I have to I'd say pansexual, which says that I am attracted to people based on factors other than their sex or gender identity.....

NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual since there is a lot of misunderstanding around the topic or if I submit an additional attachment to explain my interest and how that relates to my interest in gender and sexuality and the law, would it work? Thanks!


I'm not quite sure if this qualifies as underrepresented given the relatively small segment of the population that identifies as pansexual but it certainly would fit for diversity IMO. In the end, like most other things, it depends on what you write and how you write it. Can you write really well on how this has shaped you?


This. "Underrepresented" means your class of people have been so oppressed that they're the proper target of affirmative action and just your being a competitive applicant for law school represents a triumph over a historical evil.

Just being different doesn't entitle you to preferential recognition as "underrepresented." Just being different doesn't represent a triumph over anything.

Unless you can write about how this makes you a better law student or how it is connected with a struggle or a discovery process that will make you a better law student, don't write a DS.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby cynthiad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:51 pm

You don't have to be a URM to write a DS. Being diverse basically just means you aren't a white male with no interesting life experiences. That's separate from URM, which refers to racial/ethnic groups that are underrepresented in law schools (NA, AA, MA/PR), have been historically discriminated against, and so receive a major boost.

Someone can write a diversity statement about being a POC (even if not URM), queer, veteran, growing up poor, anything. Writing a diversity statement doesn't mean you're claiming to be a URM (although URMs should write diversity statements) it just means you add diversity to the class in some way.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12715
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby LeDique » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:57 pm

manofjustice wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Jacq2212 wrote:I tried searching for where this was discussed and I have read a lot about whether to come out as gay or not on application forms, generally the response to which is yes, however, I don't identify as gay, straight, or necessarily bisexual. I don't like labeling myself, but if I have to I'd say pansexual, which says that I am attracted to people based on factors other than their sex or gender identity.....

NYU's application asks for info about underrepresented groups, would it be unwise for me to mention pansexual since there is a lot of misunderstanding around the topic or if I submit an additional attachment to explain my interest and how that relates to my interest in gender and sexuality and the law, would it work? Thanks!


I'm not quite sure if this qualifies as underrepresented given the relatively small segment of the population that identifies as pansexual but it certainly would fit for diversity IMO. In the end, like most other things, it depends on what you write and how you write it. Can you write really well on how this has shaped you?


This. "Underrepresented" means your class of people have been so oppressed that they're the proper target of affirmative action and just your being a competitive applicant for law school represents a triumph over a historical evil.

Just being different doesn't entitle you to preferential recognition as "underrepresented." Just being different doesn't represent a triumph over anything.

Unless you can write about how this makes you a better law student or how it is connected with a struggle or a discovery process that will make you a better law student, don't write a DS.


Jesus Christ, this thread is already an A+ representation of the lack of understanding and recognition given to pansexual persons. Not only do pansexual persons deal with that from society at-large, they deal with a similar attitude from LGB in thae same way a lot of trans* issues are excluded from the movement. So yeah, it's save to say they're…I just remembered you're a troll and don't know why I'm responding.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:01 pm

cynthiad wrote:You don't have to be a URM to write a DS. Being diverse basically just means you aren't a white male with no interesting life experiences. That's separate from URM, which refers to racial/ethnic groups that are underrepresented in law schools (NA, AA, MA/PR), have been historically discriminated against, and so receive a major boost.

Someone can write a diversity statement about being a POC (even if not URM), queer, veteran, growing up poor, anything. Writing a diversity statement doesn't mean you're claiming to be a URM (although URMs should write diversity statements) it just means you add diversity to the class in some way.


Writing a DS means you think you should get into law school because of what you put in your DS. There is a higher presumptive bar over which a writer of a DS has to jump when what is going in his DS is something other than "I am a URM."

OP's thread title is "Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group," and OP hasn't told us what he is going to write in his DS. He just coughed out "pansexual" and expects us to a) know what that means and b) ratify his attempt to use it to get an advantage over other applicants.

I fail to see how ostracizing OP is not the right course here.

User avatar
sabanist
Posts: 573
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:48 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby sabanist » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:14 pm

manofjustice wrote:
cynthiad wrote:You don't have to be a URM to write a DS. Being diverse basically just means you aren't a white male with no interesting life experiences. That's separate from URM, which refers to racial/ethnic groups that are underrepresented in law schools (NA, AA, MA/PR), have been historically discriminated against, and so receive a major boost.

Someone can write a diversity statement about being a POC (even if not URM), queer, veteran, growing up poor, anything. Writing a diversity statement doesn't mean you're claiming to be a URM (although URMs should write diversity statements) it just means you add diversity to the class in some way.


Writing a DS means you think you should get into law school because of what you put in your DS. There is a higher presumptive bar over which a writer of a DS has to jump when what is going in his DS is something other than "I am a URM."

OP's thread title is "Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group," and OP hasn't told us what he is going to write in his DS. He just coughed out "pansexual" and expects us to a) know what that means and b) ratify his attempt to use it to get an advantage over other applicants.

I fail to see how ostracizing OP is not the right course here.

:|

OP starts a thread looking for advice because they're in a unique situation and looking for advice on how to approach it :arrow: OP wants a URM boost with no effort?
I really don't see that. And OP gave their definition of pansexuality, so there was no expectation for you to know what it means, either.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby cynthiad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:23 pm

manofjustice wrote:
cynthiad wrote:You don't have to be a URM to write a DS. Being diverse basically just means you aren't a white male with no interesting life experiences. That's separate from URM, which refers to racial/ethnic groups that are underrepresented in law schools (NA, AA, MA/PR), have been historically discriminated against, and so receive a major boost.

Someone can write a diversity statement about being a POC (even if not URM), queer, veteran, growing up poor, anything. Writing a diversity statement doesn't mean you're claiming to be a URM (although URMs should write diversity statements) it just means you add diversity to the class in some way.


Writing a DS means you think you should get into law school because of what you put in your DS. There is a higher presumptive bar over which a writer of a DS has to jump when what is going in his DS is something other than "I am a URM."

OP's thread title is "Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group," and OP hasn't told us what he is going to write in his DS. He just coughed out "pansexual" and expects us to a) know what that means and b) ratify his attempt to use it to get an advantage over other applicants.

I fail to see how ostracizing OP is not the right course here.


Writing a DS does not mean that you think you should get into law school above other applicants because of what you put in your DS, at least not any more than writing a PS means that you think you should get into law school because of what you wrote in your PS. It's just to give the adcomm more information about you. Someone can write a DS about whatever they damn well please. If an applicant wants to write a DS about being a single parent, serving in the military, being queer, or whatever else differentiates them from other applicants then they can. It doesn't give the same across-the-board boost that checking one of the URM boxes does, so it shouldn't be subject to the same strict requirements. It just highlights an aspect of their background that wasn't in their PS and that might be relevant to adcomms who want a full picture of the applicant. Obviously there are some things that might be harmful, like straight white guy from the suburbs writing about how having to work at Starbucks for a year have him unique perspective on the socioeconomic realities of this country or whatever bullshit. But someone writing about their non-straight sexual orientation is a legit DS topic.

It is not OP's job to explain their sexual orientation to you. If you don't know what pansexual means and are too lazy to type it into google, then you have no business posting in this thread. It's bullshit to say we should "ostracize" someone because they haven't taken the time to spoonfeed you the details of their sexual orientation. And if you think that anyone who isn't straight, regardless of what exact word they use to identify their sexuality, hasn't been discriminated against then you are living on another planet.

User avatar
manofjustice
Posts: 1323
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 10:01 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby manofjustice » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:42 pm

Actually, if you stop trying to bend your back upon itself being "politically correct," you'll note that "checking the URM box" is indeed EXACTLY what OP proposed to do.

cynthiad
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby cynthiad » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:10 pm

manofjustice wrote:Actually, if you stop trying to bend your back upon itself being "politically correct," you'll note that "checking the URM box" is indeed EXACTLY what OP proposed to do.


Really? Please point to the part where the OP said they were going to check the box for AA, NA, or MA/PR because they were pansexual. Those are the only "URM boxes" that anyone could check.

The OP was asking if they should write a diversity statement. They fact that they included "underrepresented group" in the topic title only indicates they weren't 100% clear on the fact that URM refers to specifically defined groups of people for ls admissions, rather than groups that are discriminated against and/or underrepresented
in general. As this terminology has no bearing on whether or not it's appropriate to write a DS, it makes no sense to infer that OP intended to say they were African American or some other URM category, when they're not, on the basis of being pansexual.

And I'm so sorry that my being "politically correct" is interfering with your being an asshole.

User avatar
Advice Dog
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:04 am

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby Advice Dog » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:18 pm

I hate law school.

User avatar
Lwoods
Posts: 1484
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:27 am

Re: Pansexual on Diversity Statement Underrepresented Group?

Postby Lwoods » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:33 pm

cynthiad wrote:You don't have to be a URM to write a DS. Being diverse basically just means you aren't a white male with no interesting life experiences. That's separate from URM, which refers to racial/ethnic groups that are underrepresented in law schools (NA, AA, MA/PR), have been historically discriminated against, and so receive a major boost.

Someone can write a diversity statement about being a POC (even if not URM), queer, veteran, growing up poor, anything. Writing a diversity statement doesn't mean you're claiming to be a URM (although URMs should write diversity statements) it just means you add diversity to the class in some way.


TITCR.

Also, as an NYU undergrad alumna (who underwent the university's "safe zone" training on LGBTQ issues), I disagree with the concern expressed above that use of the identifier "pansexual" will be met with eyerolls or misunderstanding. The university as a whole is very progressive in its approach to gender and sexuality identification. Because of that, the school tends to be more attractive to non-hetero applicants, so your DS won't stand out as much at NYU as it likely would at, say, Utah, but it's still worth writing. A genuine DS has far more potential to help you and is unlikely to hurt you.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PRinNYC and 6 guests