Speeding Ticket: Now What?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bdm261

Speeding Ticket: Now What?

Postby bdm261 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:04 am

Quick C&F question, got a speeding citation today. 42 in the 25 zone. Wasn't paying attention to the speedometer.

Anyways, I already applied to some schools and was accepted to 3. What's the procedure for keeping my C&F current? Do I need to write an addendum to the schools that require traffic citation disclosures, or just send an e-mail or do anything?

Also, this brings my total citations to 5. Will it screw up any chances I have at the schools that haven't made a decision yet? And this certainly won't make any school rescind any admissions offer, correct?

laxbrah420

Re: Speeding Ticket: Now What?

Postby laxbrah420 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:06 am

Email admissions and ask them the procedure

elblufer

Postby elblufer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:29 am

Something tells me that law school admissions deans couldn't care one bit about a speeding ticket.

LegalMikey

Postby LegalMikey » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 am

Doubt they care, but did you file a previous addendum for the other 4? Having to follow up "...and I've since learned my lesson" with an extra speeding ticket might be kind of awkward.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:12 am

Check the applications, schools that don't require you disclose minor traffic citations (UVA I know doesn't for example) obviously don't. Anyone who asked you to reveal those you should probably email, unlikely to make a difference so might as well cove your ass.

Postby 20130312 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:33 am

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:16 am

LegalMikey wrote:Doubt they care, but did you file a previous addendum for the other 4? Having to follow up "...and I've since learned my lesson" with an extra speeding ticket might be kind of awkward.

I wrote something like:

"I have been driving for X years and have received X moving violations in that time period. None of these infractions were drug or alcohol related, nor did any result in the suspension of my driver's license. All of these incidents resulted in minor fines, all of which were paid promptly."

It doesn't express any remorse or anything, if I write a followup should I be ok?

Buck.Shot

Postby Buck.Shot » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:31 am

You should stop acting like a total cunt.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:33 am

Cellar-door wrote:Check the applications, schools that don't require you disclose minor traffic citations (UVA I know doesn't for example) obviously don't. Anyone who asked you to reveal those you should probably email, unlikely to make a difference so might as well cove your ass.

Speeding is NOT a minor violation. A broken tail light or past due license tab is.

Systematic1

Postby Systematic1 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:55 am

Fight it.

oaken

Postby oaken » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:10 pm

I had a dream the other night that I was driving at 15 MPH in a 14 MPH zone and got a speeding ticket for it. I was furious.

HTH.

Cellar-door

Postby Cellar-door » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:49 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Cellar-door wrote:Check the applications, schools that don't require you disclose minor traffic citations (UVA I know doesn't for example) obviously don't. Anyone who asked you to reveal those you should probably email, unlikely to make a difference so might as well cove your ass.

Speeding is NOT a minor violation. A broken tail light or past due license tab is.

What makes you say that? I'm a Massachusetts resident and the state considers speeding a minor traffic violation:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/rmv/Meri ... tions.aspx

elblufer

Postby elblufer » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:53 pm

Cellar-door wrote:
PDaddy wrote:

What makes you say that? I'm a Massachusetts resident and the state considers speeding a minor traffic violation:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/rmv/Meri ... tions.aspx

As does California

http://www.dmv.org/ca-california/point-system.php

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:59 pm

oaken wrote:I had a dream the other night that I was driving at 15 MPH in a 14 MPH zone and got a speeding ticket for it. I was furious.

HTH.

:mrgreen:

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:15 pm

Ok so just one of the schools that admitted me requires disclosure of traffic citations.

I sent my schools Admissions dept this following email:

To Whom it May Concern:

I am writing to update my Character and Fitness disclosure status as I received a speeding citation on Friday, December 10, 2012.

Currently, the fine of approximately $100 has not been paid, as it is not due until 7 days after the scheduled court date of Dec 19, 2012, but it will be paid in timely accordance with the deadline.

I accept full responsibility for my actions and I do not plan to contest the citation.

Thank You.

Sincerely,

My Name
LSAC# LXXXXXXX

Hopefully this doesn't screw anything up. Is a citation every 2 years considered "excessive"?

elblufer

Postby elblufer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:24 pm

they're not going to care about your speeding tickets. It's not going to hurt you in the slightest.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:32 pm

elblufer wrote:they're not going to care about your speeding tickets. It's not going to hurt you in the slightest.

I hope so. My school's "Admissions FAQ" page says this:

Why do you ask about parking and minor traffic violations on the application?

We ask this for two reasons. One is for the sake of consistency. As noted above, if there are inconsistencies between the admission application and the bar exam application, this can cause problems when it is time to apply to take the bar exam.

The second is a character issue. On rare occasions, the Admissions Committee comes in contact with an applicant that believes that traffic and parking laws do not apply to them. This suggests a disregard for the law, which is a serious problem for someone considering becoming a lawyer, and could adversely affect the admission decision made by the Admissions Committee.

I hardly believe the laws don't apply to me. I just wasn't paying attention to the speedometer and didn't realize I was speeding until I passed a cop.

oaken

Postby oaken » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:45 pm

bdm261 wrote:
elblufer wrote:they're not going to care about your speeding tickets. It's not going to hurt you in the slightest.

I hope so. My school's "Admissions FAQ" page says this:

We ask this for two reasons. One is for the sake of consistency. As noted above, if there are inconsistencies between the admission application and the bar exam application, this can cause problems when it is time to apply to take the bar exam.

The second is a character issue. On rare occasions, the Admissions Committee comes in contact with an applicant that believes that traffic and parking laws do not apply to them. This suggests a disregard for the law, which is a serious problem for someone considering becoming a lawyer, and could adversely affect the admission decision made by the Admissions Committee.

I hardly believe the laws don't apply to me. I just wasn't paying attention to the speedometer and didn't realize I was speeding until I passed a cop.

I wonder if they're referring to people who have like dozens of tickets, or ones who go out of their way to write that they didn't deserve them.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:17 pm

Systematic1 wrote:Fight it.

Or if this is your first one... Pay for traffic school and get it off your record. Done.

ETA: You would want to exercise this option regardless of law school to save your insurance rates.

kuttlefish

Postby kuttlefish » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:34 pm

bdm261 wrote:I hope so. My school's "Admissions FAQ" page says this:

[b]

Jesus Christ, what dork-ass school is that? BYU?

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:43 pm

kuttlefish wrote:

[b]

I could see that if someone had dozens of tickets, and didn't pay them off in a timely matter, it could affect the decision. Just like one dorm violation for underage drinking doesn't matter, but many suggests a pattern.

scruffy556

Postby scruffy556 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:58 pm

kuttlefish wrote:

[b]

Google says it's the University of Akron.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:11 pm

scruffy556 wrote:
kuttlefish wrote:

[b]

Google says it's the University of Akron.

Yep.

What exactly is a "pattern" though? I have a total of 5 citations on my record since age 16, that amounts to one ticket, every two years. I e-mailed the school and didn't receive anything back so I assume they just added it to my file or whatever, at least I did my part here.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”