Random app questions: visas, texting, etc.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
mcs268

Random app questions: visas, texting, etc.

Postby mcs268 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 pm

I have just a few random app questions. help with any of them would be appreciated.

1) lots of apps ask you if you are a us citizen, and if you are not, ask you for visa information. but they also ask you for permanent city, country, etc. in the same section, and it's unclear whether you only fill that out if you are not a us citizen. do i need to fill out that info?

2) apps also ask you if you will allow them to send you texts. is it weird if i say "no?" i just don't want to get random texts, but i don't want that to turn them off.

3) when they ask for lsat info, you can put down a test that you are planning to take. i took december and was going to wait to apply for the score, or maybe write an andendum telling them to wait for the score (but i didn't want to appear too demanding). if i write down that i just took it, is it "unspoken" that they will wait to decide until they see my score? that would avoid having to write a separate letter and possibly annoying them.

TheThriller

Re: Random app questions: visas, texting, etc.

Postby TheThriller » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:20 pm

2) I clicked yes to receive texts and have yet to get one
3) Just shoot them an email asking them to hold off until your Dec test is out there

shock259

Postby shock259 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 pm

1. I don't really understand what you are describing, but I'd just fill it out if you are uncertain.
2. You'll definitely get auto-dinged if you don't sign up for texts. This is actually a test to see if you really want to go to the school.
3. I'd submit now because it may take weeks for them to put your app together. Then email/call and ask them to hold until you get an LSAT score. They can't review your app without a score anyway, so it'll just get put into a hold pile. Once the score comes in, you're good to go.

wbrother

Postby wbrother » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:13 pm

shock259 wrote:2. You'll definitely get auto-dinged if you don't sign up for texts. This is actually a test to see if you really want to go to the school.

Serious?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:28 pm

wbrother wrote:
shock259 wrote:2. You'll definitely get auto-dinged if you don't sign up for texts. This is actually a test to see if you really want to go to the school.

Serious?

You also have to include the word "gullible" somewhere in your personal statement. It tells the adcomm that you know the secret law school brotherhood code.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:01 pm

wbrother wrote:

Serious?

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:18 pm

mcs268 wrote:I have just a few random app questions. help with any of them would be appreciated.

1) lots of apps ask you if you are a us citizen, and if you are not, ask you for visa information. but they also ask you for permanent city, country, etc. in the same section, and it's unclear whether you only fill that out if you are not a us citizen. do i need to fill out that info?

2) apps also ask you if you will allow them to send you texts. is it weird if i say "no?" i just don't want to get random texts, but i don't want that to turn them off.

3) when they ask for lsat info, you can put down a test that you are planning to take. i took december and was going to wait to apply for the score, or maybe write an andendum telling them to wait for the score (but i didn't want to appear too demanding). if i write down that i just took it, is it "unspoken" that they will wait to decide until they see my score? that would avoid having to write a separate letter and possibly annoying them.

1) fill out the relevant part - that you're a citizen (or, if not, fill out the whole darn thing)
They need to know for a number of reasons

2) If you say no, no one will care

3) Just submit your apps - most schools won't look at them while a score is pending and LSAC will send the updated score at the same time you get it

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:18 am

mcs268 wrote:1) lots of apps ask you if you are a us citizen, and if you are not, ask you for visa information. but they also ask you for permanent city, country, etc. in the same section, and it's unclear whether you only fill that out if you are not a us citizen. do i need to fill out that info?

This is for diversity statistics so they can say they have students from all 50 states or something like that. If you're from Wyoming, say, it might give you bonus points. You should fill it out. Your "permanent city" has nothing to do with immigration.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:22 am

yuzu wrote:
mcs268 wrote:1) lots of apps ask you if you are a us citizen, and if you are not, ask you for visa information. but they also ask you for permanent city, country, etc. in the same section, and it's unclear whether you only fill that out if you are not a us citizen. do i need to fill out that info?

This is for diversity statistics so they can say they have students from all 50 states or something like that. If you're from Wyoming, say, it might give you bonus points. You should fill it out. Your "permanent city" has nothing to do with immigration.

Being a non-citizen also matters, but that's a different story

SPerez

Postby SPerez » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:28 pm

1) Fill out everything. For that specific section, the two questions you mention are unrelated. Schools need to know if you're a non-citizen for all sorts of reasons (out of state tuition, flag you for the person that handles int'l student visas, etc.). The permanent address stuff is need so we can, you know, MAIL you stuff. I can tell you it's REALLY frustrating trying to invite students to regional events or get them acceptance or scholarship information when they don't list accurate addresses. E.g. putting their parents' address on everything even though they will be living in their university town for 8 months of the admissions cycle.

2) A few years ago LSAC switched to a common online application. Schools who use it (all) have the option of using stock sections of questions written by LSAC, and if we use them (like addresses) you guys don't have to re-enter the info on every app. We don't have the ability to pick/choose questions within sections so questions like the text message ones are just part of the package for that set. Doesn't mean the school actually cares. Personally, adults think "you kids" do nothing but text all day so that's how we should communicate with you. I'm young enough to know that as soon as schools start texting you stuff, you'll either stop looking at your texts or you'll stop giving us your actually phone number.

3) The LSAT question is also part of a standard question set. Some schools might not look at it at all when reviewing apps so if you really want a school to wait until your retake score comes out before reviewing your app, you should ask them explicitly. I'd do it separate from the application, though, since at most schools no one will probably even read it in that detail until it's actually in review already.

Dean Perez
Texas Tech University School of Law

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”