Selecting LORs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
simplycatalina

Selecting LORs

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 pm

I have three LORs and I'm trying to decide which ones to send for schools that only ask for two..One is from my thesis advisor, one is from a professor I took a history class with, and one is from a Graduate Student Instructor. I'm planning on sending the thesis advisor's but I'm trying to decide on the other one. On the one hand, the professor is prestigious and went to a couple of the schools I'm applying to. I think he knows me relatively well (went to office hours several times). On the other hand, the GSI probably knows me better. She's also in the Linguistics Dept. so I'm guessing the letter is very well-written. Thoughts on which one I should send?

TripTrip

Re: Selecting LORs

Postby TripTrip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:52 pm

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:56 pm

Does the school have a cap on their LOR's? Every school I have seen allows you to send at least 3, if not 4?

Either way, if you must decide, just choose the professor you have the closest relationship to. Prestige or title holds absolutely no weight!

A school would rather see a recommendation from the secretary at a large law firm that you dealt with on a daily basis, then one of the partners who you might have shook hands with once.

They read hundreds of thousands of LOR's, they can tell when a letter is truly sincere/personal.

Either way, Goodluck!

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:57 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah I am submitting both for the schools that allow it. I just mean for the ones that only let you submit two (UCLA) and a few others.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:01 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:Thanks guys. Yeah I am submitting both for the schools that allow it. I just mean for the ones that only let you submit two (UCLA) and a few others.

Either way, if you must decide, just choose the professor you have the closest relationship to. Prestige or title holds absolutely no weight!

^ Definitely the most important factor; only you know the true answer.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Pick the better letter, not the better author.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”