Liberty Online Degree and Law School Admission? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
AJFAJF

New

Liberty Online Degree and Law School Admission?

Post by AJFAJF » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Okay. Don't laugh at me. Lol. I'm majoring in Paralegal Studies at my local community college. I graduate with my Associates in the spring. I chose the major at the time because I needed to get my foot in the door with a half way decent job in a short amount of time. Needless to say my situation has changed and I want to continue my undergrad and eventually go to law school. Liberty University offers a Paralegal Bachelors exclusive to their online curriculum that will allow a lot of my credits to transfer for law classes shaving a solid year off of my undergrad. However can I get into a halfway decent Law School with it? Obviously I'm not talking top 20. I'm talking like 35-55 range rank wise.

Note: My community colleges paralegal program is ABA approved while Liberty has not received ABA approval for their Paralegal program yet. Not sure if that would be a factor or not?

Zoomie

Bronze

Re: Liberty Online Degree and Law School Admission?

Post by Zoomie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:07 pm

AJFAJF wrote:Okay. Don't laugh at me. Lol. I'm majoring in Paralegal Studies at my local community college. I graduate with my Associates in the spring. I chose the major at the time because I needed to get my foot in the door with a half way decent job in a short amount of time. Needless to say my situation has changed and I want to continue my undergrad and eventually go to law school. Liberty University offers a Paralegal program exclusive to their online curriculum that will allow a lot of my credits to transfer for law classes shaving a solid year off of my undergrad. However can I get into a halfway decent Law School with it? Obviously I'm not talking top 20. I'm talking like 35-55 range rank wise.

Note: My community colleges paralegal program is ABA approved while Liberty has not received ABA approval for their Paralegal program yet. Not sure if that would be a factor or not?

ABA approval for a paralegal program is not really anything. I don't see why you couldn't get into law school as long as you keep your GPA and the university is regionally accredited. Score well on the LSAT, maintain a good GPA and I wouldn't see why you wouldn't be competitive. Additionally, I'm assuming with an associates degree you will start work as a paralegal at a law firm and can get some work experience under your belt.

AJFAJF

New

Post by AJFAJF » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:13 pm

ABA approval for a paralegal program is not really anything. I don't see why you couldn't get into law school as long as you keep your GPA and the university is regionally accredited. Score well on the LSAT, maintain a good GPA and I wouldn't see why you wouldn't be competitive. Additionally, I'm assuming with an associates degree you will start work as a paralegal at a law firm and can get some work experience under your belt.
Really? I'm actually surprised. St. Josephs University offers the same major as well as Peirce College in Philly. (I'm from right outside of Philly) A bit more pricey though. St. Josephs University bridge program would allow me to take night courses for half the tuition rate putting it on par with peirce at about 15k per year range. While Liberty online is about 7k per year.

Either one more advantageous than the other?

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:14 pm

Paralegal Studies sounds like a fucking stupid major dood.

AJFAJF

New

Post by AJFAJF » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:20 pm

dr123 wrote:Paralegal Studies sounds like a fucking stupid major dood.
Lol obviously. But instead of switching to Polisci and taking an additional year of courses I can shave it down to save time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:25 pm

Your school and major DO NOT MATTER. If you want to be a lawyer, get a 4.0 every semester from here on out. If your LSDAS GPA would be better served by spending another year in school, do that. When you're about a year out from applying, come back here and start working on the LSAT. Don't settle for anything less than a 170. Then go to a T14 on a nice scholarship.

rvadog

New

Post by rvadog » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:04 pm

I actually go to Liberty Online. I go there because I'm active duty military and so it's super cheap. I will say that the classes are easy and the support staff is fantastic but you will have to put up with some things you never would at a secular school (i.e. commenting on how religion could effect the way you do business in a international business class).

twenty

Gold

Post by twenty » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:35 pm

Knew a guy that did an even worse online program (LU would have been a huge upgrade), got a 167 LSAT, and is now on a full ride at UMinn.

Go get 'em.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”