Updated transcript

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
moonman157

Updated transcript

Postby moonman157 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:01 pm

So as the semester comes to a close, a few questions:

1) Do I have to update my transcript to include the most recent grades?
2) How do I notify schools, both the ones I have yet to hear back from and the ones I've already heard back from?
3) For those who haven't given me a decision, is the updated GPA the one they will use for USNWR, or will it be the one I applied with?

Thanks as always!

bbsg

Re: Updated transcript

Postby bbsg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:32 am

Far from an expert in the matter. My understanding, for what it's worth:

1) "Technically" yes but in practice no
2) No clue
3) Updated GPA

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:48 am

moonman157 wrote:So as the semester comes to a close, a few questions:

1) Do I have to update my transcript to include the most recent grades?
2) How do I notify schools, both the ones I have yet to hear back from and the ones I've already heard back from?
3) For those who haven't given me a decision, is the updated GPA the one they will use for USNWR, or will it be the one I applied with?

Thanks as always!

1)No
2)You don't have to notify them. LSAC will automatically push any changes in your LSAT score and GPA to all schools that you've applied to through CAS.
3)They report the GPA last reported through LSAC, although I'm not 100% sure about whether they have to report the one accepted or the last one they get through LSDAS. It doesn't really matter what the schools that have already accepted you have to report, though, because they're not going to rescind an offer.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

Thanks for the replies! So if I get my semester grades back, and I realize that they would bring my LSAC GPA down, then I don't have to update it? Will schools find this suspicious, or will they just want me to report my highest GPA so that if they accept me that would count towards their median?

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:23 pm

Alright, so I just got all my semester grades back, and updating my transcript will bring my GPA up. I requested that my transcript be sent to LSAC, and I know that they'll notify my schools about the change, but can I email them to let them know anyway? Especially with Cornell, where I've been deferred, this can only help me, right?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:14 pm

moonman157 wrote:Alright, so I just got all my semester grades back, and updating my transcript will bring my GPA up. I requested that my transcript be sent to LSAC, and I know that they'll notify my schools about the change, but can I email them to let them know anyway? Especially with Cornell, where I've been deferred, this can only help me, right?

Yep - definitely shoot a letter to Cornell letting them know that newer (and better) grades are on the way.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:17 pm

bp shinners wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Alright, so I just got all my semester grades back, and updating my transcript will bring my GPA up. I requested that my transcript be sent to LSAC, and I know that they'll notify my schools about the change, but can I email them to let them know anyway? Especially with Cornell, where I've been deferred, this can only help me, right?

Yep - definitely shoot a letter to Cornell letting them know that newer (and better) grades are on the way.

Thanks! Should I do this for all of my applications, including the ones where I've been accepted and ones that I'm still waiting on?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:47 pm

moonman157 wrote:
bp shinners wrote:

Thanks! Should I do this for all of my applications, including the ones where I've been accepted and ones that I'm still waiting on?

If you've already been accepted, the only reason to update with higher grades is for scholarship consideration. There's not much time-sensitivity there, so that can wait. With Cornell, you want to be sure they get the new grades before rendering a final decision, as the deferral says you weren't solid enough to get in when they first looked at you. For other schools, I would only let them know the update is coming if you're borderline and this gets you above a quartile. You don't want them to hold off on looking at your application if you're going to get in anyway.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:59 pm

Thanks again for the response. Sorry, one more question: I'm not exactly sure what my LSAC GPA will be after this is factored in. Should I wait until I am sure and can specify a GPA in my email, or just let them know that it's coming now and they will see that it has gone up when LSAC notifies them?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:01 pm

moonman157 wrote:Thanks again for the response. Sorry, one more question: I'm not exactly sure what my LSAC GPA will be after this is factored in. Should I wait until I am sure and can specify a GPA in my email, or just let them know that it's coming now and they will see that it has gone up when LSAC notifies them?

If you know it's going to be better, then just let them know that an update is coming.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:27 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
moonman157 wrote:Thanks again for the response. Sorry, one more question: I'm not exactly sure what my LSAC GPA will be after this is factored in. Should I wait until I am sure and can specify a GPA in my email, or just let them know that it's coming now and they will see that it has gone up when LSAC notifies them?

If you know it's going to be better, then just let them know that an update is coming.

Thanks! You have the best 'tars :D

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”