"Close relatives" question Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
gatorgirl2012

Bronze

"Close relatives" question

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:56 pm

I have what I consider to be a close relative who attended one of my reach schools. He is my cousin's husband, and though that sounds distant, we're actually close and he has known me my whole life. Is it worth naming him on my application, or is that too far a relation?

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: "Close relatives" question

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:59 pm

Don't bother.

It won't affect you anyway, unless five generations of your family went there and you have buildings named after you, or your family member was the dean or something.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:48 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Don't bother.

It won't affect you anyway, unless five generations of your family went there and you have buildings named after you, or your family member was the dean or something.

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:55 pm

is it really that pointless? really, i just wanted to know if it would seem desperate to put a seemingly distant relative when they don't even give you an option to elaborate. i figured at the very least it wouldn't hurt.

mushybrain

Bronze

Post by mushybrain » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:00 pm

Way too far. Your own parent probably wouldn't matter, and this person most certainly won't.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:06 pm

If he is a factor in your deciding to go there, like he always talks about how great it is, you can mention that as a way to say "hey, this isn't the same app I'm sending to every school" but the actual connection won't help you at all.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:23 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Don't bother.

Yeah, these only give you boosts when the school thinks that there's no way you'd actually attend there - the family connection might give you a reason. But this is too distant to really matter.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”