Chinese Born taking chinese? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
partypajamas

New

Chinese Born taking chinese?

Post by partypajamas » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:44 am

Hello,

I was born in China and moved to the USA when i was 2. I speak chinese fluently, but of a very ethnic minority dialect. I would really love to take mandarin in college, but I'm worried that law schools will see that i was born in china and am taking chinese as a way to just boost my GPA.

Should i reconsider taking mandarin? Will they care too much?

thanks!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Re: Chinese Born taking chinese?

Post by rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:52 am

Won't care.

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:23 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Won't care.

fl0w

Silver

Post by fl0w » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:32 am

partypajamas wrote:Hello,

I was born in China and moved to the USA when i was 2. I speak chinese fluently, but of a very ethnic minority dialect. I would really love to take mandarin in college, but I'm worried that law schools will see that i was born in china and am taking chinese as a way to just boost my GPA.

Should i reconsider taking mandarin? Will they care too much?

thanks!
I actually did this during my second year of law school. At my school, and I'd assume at any other school it didn't count toward my GPA because it's not a law course.

If by college you mean undergrad, then no. nobody will care.

But having language fluency is looked upon pretty favorably in interviews. I have high spanish proficiency and 1 year of mandarin and interviewers all really liked it (i'm talking about job interviews). Just don't overstate your proficiency because it shouldn't surprise you that someone will actually try to speak a bit of whatever language is on your resume with you.

Sidenote: Finishing my first semester of 3L studying abroad in Shanghai now. hope that info was helpful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”