What does my future look like?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:25 pm

rvadog wrote:I don't have to worry about my superiors. My enlistment will be up same time I finished with law.

I would encourage you guys to keep in mind this isn't the usual "2.5 gpa, 151 lsat, should I go to cooley" thread. I will not have any debt.

T14 is not an option at any point for me because I was an idiot when I first went to college and have a sub 3.0 gpa.



Strong regionals and T25 may be, depending on LSAT. I know you are between a rock and a hard place given your career goals, but I would seriously consider waiting until you got out to go to a better law school, if you want to go to law school. Take your one shot then, and if not you'll be in a better position to use that JD for something it actually is related to.

Or, as North suggests, just go into law enforcement without a JD. With your military background and a college degree you are quite competitive for those.

Awkward
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:21 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby Awkward » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:26 pm

you can drive from Jacksonville to Gainesville in less than 1.5hours

why not attend university of florida? or transfer for your second year then start commuting

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:28 pm

Awkward wrote:you can drive from Jacksonville to Gainesville in less than 1.5hours

why not attend university of florida? or transfer for your second year then start commuting



This is not bad advice... except for the part about transferring. You cannot count on grades good enough to transfer. It doesn't happen for about 90% of all law students. But you could theoretically commute, rvadog.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Awkward wrote:you can drive from Jacksonville to Gainesville in less than 1.5hours

why not attend university of florida? or transfer for your second year then start commuting

Commuting to UF isn't terrible idea. Attending Florida Coastal with the intent to transfer is a terrible idea.

ETA: 100% Scooped.

rvadog
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby rvadog » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:39 pm

I appreciate the advice guys. I think there is some confusion though. I have almost no idea where I'm going to work from June of 2013-2017. My top ten places were:

Atlantic beach, NC
Jacksonville, FL
Miami, Fl
Louisville, KY
Seattle, WA
San Diego, CA
Tampa, FL
St. Louis, MO
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC

There is a very good chance I could end up somewhere with a T2 or better school and a PT program. I was just preparing for the worst.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:42 pm

It's still a bad idea.

North wrote:You can become a LEO without a law degree. That's clearly what you want to do, so pursue it. If, after your enlistment period ends, it doesn't work out or you don't like the work, THEN you should consider attending law school with your GI bill. That would allow you to go to a law school that would give you a good chance at actually becoming a lawyer (read: not Florida Coastal).

Law school is a waste of your time and the taxpayer's money, you don't even need the degree.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 pm

rvadog wrote:I appreciate the advice guys. I think there is some confusion though. I have almost no idea where I'm going to work from June of 2013-2017. My top ten places were:

Atlantic beach, NC
Jacksonville, FL
Miami, Fl
Louisville, KY
Seattle, WA
San Diego, CA
Tampa, FL
St. Louis, MO
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC

There is a very good chance I could end up somewhere with a T2 or better school and a PT program. I was just preparing for the worst.


Well, whatever happens, good luck to you. I hope things work out well for you.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4041
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby North » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:44 pm

spleenworship wrote:Well, whatever happens, good luck to you. I hope things work out well for you.

You tapped out quick on this one, spleen. Finals?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby rad lulz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:03 pm

rvadog wrote:If I can't get a a federal or local LE job right away I can work in defense or public interest with no stress of law school debt

In this terrible legal economy that's not a backup plan.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:12 pm

rvadog wrote:
My primary goal is to get a Special Agent job in federal LE (i.e. FBI, ICE, DEA).

I will be 31 and some months when my enlistment is done. If I wait until my enlistment is over and then go to law school I'm looking at graduating at 34 at the earliest giving me basically one chance at getting a LE job before aging out.


The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 pm

spleenworship wrote:
rvadog wrote:
I would encourage you to work on reading comprehension.

I have stated before I will not pay for law school. If the school doesn't offer yellow ribbon program then I'll do something else. But they almost all (even Coastal) offer yellow ribbon.

I'm not worried about not getting a job. I have zero problem working a beat as a local cop.



then why go to law school? It would be a waste of time.

Also, I already edited it. Don't be a prick, I'm actually in law school. I don't have problems with RC, I do have problems with time to read posts from someone about to make a huge mistake.


I don't follow how this is a huge mistake. No debt=no worse off.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:16 pm

North wrote:
spleenworship wrote:Well, whatever happens, good luck to you. I hope things work out well for you.

You tapped out quick on this one, spleen. Finals?



yes. stupid crim pro

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:17 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?



fbi is 35.
Last edited by spleenworship on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
rvadog wrote:
My primary goal is to get a Special Agent job in federal LE (i.e. FBI, ICE, DEA).

I will be 31 and some months when my enlistment is done. If I wait until my enlistment is over and then go to law school I'm looking at graduating at 34 at the earliest giving me basically one chance at getting a LE job before aging out.


The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?



fbi is 35.


They're more strict than a strip joint.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:19 pm

Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I do have problems with time to read posts from someone about to make a huge mistake.


I don't follow how this is a huge mistake. No debt=no worse off.



Three years of law school with no job at the end. In fact he would be less employable than if he hadn't done it. He would be considered overqualified for a shitton of jobs from employers who don't understand he can't bail at any time with his JD from Florida Coastal.

Sure, no debt is good. But still, would any of us wish 3 years of law school on someone if they weren't going to get anything out of it, and they in fact made their situation worse?
Last edited by spleenworship on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:20 pm

Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
rvadog wrote:
My primary goal is to get a Special Agent job in federal LE (i.e. FBI, ICE, DEA).

I will be 31 and some months when my enlistment is done. If I wait until my enlistment is over and then go to law school I'm looking at graduating at 34 at the earliest giving me basically one chance at getting a LE job before aging out.


The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?



fbi is 35.


They're more strict than a strip joint.



It's set by statute. I don't think it should be.

Unlike strip joints where I firmly believe, and plan to campaign on, the fact that the age limit should be set at 30 by statute.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:23 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:I do have problems with time to read posts from someone about to make a huge mistake.


I don't follow how this is a huge mistake. No debt=no worse off.



Three years of law school with no job at the end. In fact he would be less employable than if he hadn't done it. He would be considered overqualified for a shitton of jobs from employers who don't understand he can't bail at any time with his JD from Florida Coastal.

Sure, no debt is good. But still, would any of us wish 3 years of law school on someone if they weren't going to get anything out of it, and they in fact made their situation worse.


I disagree with it making his situation worse. Last I checked "did you go to law school" was not a question on a job application. If he thinks it is harmful, simply leave it off, but I really don't expect it to be all that harmful.

Secondly, I didn't find law school particularly stressful. The most stressful part was after it was done when I had to take the bar, and that was mostly because in the couple of weeks leading up to the bar one of my immediate family members was diagnosed with a possible terminal disease and I lost the job I was supposed to start that fall.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:26 pm

spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?



fbi is 35.


No, it's 37.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:28 pm

Drake014 wrote:
I disagree with it making his situation worse. Last I checked "did you go to law school" was not a question on a job application. If he thinks it is harmful, simply leave it off, but I really don't expect it to be all that harmful.

Secondly, I didn't find law school particularly stressful. The most stressful part was after it was done when I had to take the bar, and that was mostly because in the couple of weeks leading up to the bar one of my immediate family members was diagnosed with a possible terminal disease and I lost the job I was supposed to start that fall.



First, you are the exception, not the rule to the bolded.

Secondly, let's say my job part isn't very persuasive. Fine. I'll argue in the alternative then that 3 years of studying and going to class even as little as 25 hours a week is a huge waste of time for someone who doesn't get a job that the JD helps him or her get. Especially since he is married. 25 hours a week away from your spouse (and possibly children) is a huge sacrifice to make for someone who doesn't get what they want out of it.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:28 pm

spleenworship wrote:
drake014 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
fbi is 35.


They're more strict than a strip joint.



It's set by statute. I don't think it should be.

Unlike strip joints where I firmly believe, and plan to campaign on, the fact that the age limit should be set at 30 by statute.


I personally would prefer at least a minimum chest to belly ratio where the former should stick out further than the latter.
Last edited by Drake014 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 pm

ScottRiqui wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
The federal law enforcement jobs have an age cutoff of 37 - would graduating law school at 34 really jam you up that much, time-wise?



fbi is 35.


No, it's 37.



Lol. We're both wrong. It's 36, 11 months, and a number of days between 27 and 30.

ETA: sorry about that. I knew it was one year above the age I'll be at graduation.... and I keep thinking I'm younger than I am, LOL.


ETAx2: Which means, OP, that you could have multiple chances post graduation... not just one. (if you are still even reading this)

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:30 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
I disagree with it making his situation worse. Last I checked "did you go to law school" was not a question on a job application. If he thinks it is harmful, simply leave it off, but I really don't expect it to be all that harmful.

Secondly, I didn't find law school particularly stressful. The most stressful part was after it was done when I had to take the bar, and that was mostly because in the couple of weeks leading up to the bar one of my immediate family members was diagnosed with a possible terminal disease and I lost the job I was supposed to start that fall.



First, you are the exception, not the rule to the bolded.

Secondly, let's say my job part isn't very persuasive. Fine. I'll argue in the alternative then that 3 years of studying and going to class even as little as 25 hours a week is a huge waste of time for someone who doesn't get a job that the JD helps him or her get. Especially since he is married. 25 hours a week away from your spouse (and possibly children) is a huge sacrifice to make for someone who doesn't get what they want out of it.


Fair enough. I just didn't get the impression that he was all too concerned about being 25 hours away from the family. Perhaps law school would be less stressful than being at home :wink:

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby spleenworship » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
drake014 wrote:
ScottRiqui wrote:
fbi is 35.


They're more strict than a strip joint.



It's set by statute. I don't think it should be.

Unlike strip joints where I firmly believe, and plan to campaign on, the fact that the age limit should be set at 30 by statute.


I personally would prefer at least a minimum chest to belly ratio where the former should stick out further than the latter.


Agreed. You can run as my vice president.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby Drake014 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 pm

spleenworship wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
drake014 wrote:
They're more strict than a strip joint.



It's set by statute. I don't think it should be.

Unlike strip joints where I firmly believe, and plan to campaign on, the fact that the age limit should be set at 30 by statute.


I personally would prefer at least a minimum chest to belly ratio where the former should stick out further than the latter.


Agreed. You can run as my vice president.


It'll be a cold day in hell before Captain Picard is second to a guy who talks to empty chairs.

User avatar
ScottRiqui
Posts: 3640
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:09 pm

Re: What does my future look like?

Postby ScottRiqui » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:33 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Lol. We're both wrong. It's 36, 11 months, and a number of days between 27 and 30.

ETA: sorry about that. I knew it was one year above the age I'll be at graduation.... and I keep thinking I'm younger than I am, LOL.


ETAx2: Which means, OP, that you could have multiple chances post graduation... not just one. (if you are still even reading this)


I only knew because I briefly looked into getting a cyber forensics job with the Secret Service, but I'll be 43 when I retire from the military, so I wasn't even close.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cheaptilts and 6 guests