Is it better to apply early with a lower GPA

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
eric922

Is it better to apply early with a lower GPA

Postby eric922 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:43 pm

I have this coming spring semester, summer, and the following fall semester to go and will be able to graduate at the end of the Fall 2013 semester.. Assuming everything goes well my GPA at the start of next fall will be a 3.22, at the end of the next fall semester it will be a 3.33. I know this is a hypothetical and depends on me getting all A's, but I'm really more interested in opinions on applying late or early due to rolling admissions. I'll take the LSAT in June and if I do good enough I was planning on sending out early applications to schools in September due to rolling admissions. Would the extra GPA points be worth applying late or is it too small of a difference to matter?
Last edited by eric922 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TooOld4This

Re: Is it better to apply early with a lower GPA

Postby TooOld4This » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:52 pm

eric922 wrote:I have one 1 year to go and a summer. Assuming everything goes well my GPA at the start of next fall will be a 3.22, at the end of the next fall semester it will be a 3.33. I know this is a hypothetical and depends on me getting all A's, but I'm really more interested in opinions on applying late or early due to rolling admissions. I'll take the LSAT in June and if I do good enough I was planning on sending out early applications to schools in September due to rolling admissions. Would the extra GPA points be worth applying late or is it too small of a difference to matter?

Wait until after you graduate to apply. You want to maximize both your chance at getting into a good school and receiving scholarship money. Your GPA will not be high enough either at the end of this year or at the end of next fall. You need the additional semester of grades.

Not only that there are very few situations when K-JD > taking time off before law school.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:01 pm

TooOld4This wrote:
eric922 wrote:I have one 1 year to go and a summer. Assuming everything goes well my GPA at the start of next fall will be a 3.22, at the end of the next fall semester it will be a 3.33. I know this is a hypothetical and depends on me getting all A's, but I'm really more interested in opinions on applying late or early due to rolling admissions. I'll take the LSAT in June and if I do good enough I was planning on sending out early applications to schools in September due to rolling admissions. Would the extra GPA points be worth applying late or is it too small of a difference to matter?

Wait until after you graduate to apply. You want to maximize both your chance at getting into a good school and receiving scholarship money. Your GPA will not be high enough either at the end of this year or at the end of next fall. You need the additional semester of grades.

Not only that there are very few situations when K-JD > taking time off before law school.

See that's the thing. I will be able to graduate at the end of next fall. Sorry, I should have made that clear in the OP. I will be able to graduate in the fall 2013 and was planning on applying for the 2014 cycle.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:03 pm

if you can afford it, take an extra semester of easy courses before you graduate to boost your GPA.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:06 pm

cynthiad wrote:if you can afford it, take an extra semester of easy courses before you graduate to boost your GPA.

I was actually considering taking a bunch of online courses at the local community college and saving some money if I can find a decent job.

cynthiad

Postby cynthiad » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:08 pm

eric922 wrote:
cynthiad wrote:if you can afford it, take an extra semester of easy courses before you graduate to boost your GPA.

I was actually considering taking a bunch of online courses at the local community college and saving some money if I can find a decent job.

It has to be before you graduate, though, so make sure your school would let you do that.

eric922

Postby eric922 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:17 pm

cynthiad wrote:
eric922 wrote:

It has to be before you graduate, though, so make sure your school would let you do that.

Yeah I'll have to check on that and see if I can afford it as well. If, for whatever reason, I am unable to take any extra courses do you think it is better to apply early with a 3.22 or late with a 3.33? I know some schools do early admissions, but I don't know how big a difference they make. If I waited untill the end of the fall semester to do apply then I wouldn't be able to submit my transcript tunill sometime after the 3rd week in December.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”